Some Wii U concerns, need your opinions and answers

Discussion in 'Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by beta4attack, Nov 19, 2012.

1. beta4attack
    OP

beta4attack GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 16, 2011
    The world that never was
    So I pre-ordered my Wii U last week (in the Wii U) but today I have been reading some chaotic problems occurring to many people from the Wii U not reading discs, bricking from update, pixels missing, something like a scratch on the screen, freezing to not giving a signal to the TV. I am actually very very worried now after what I read so I wanted to ask if any of you had these problems. Also, do you think these problems would be fixed by the UK launch? (In other words, do these sort of problems get fixed in a week or two even if they already manufactured the system?).
    Currently, I can just go and cancel my pre-order while I still have the chance, should I do that?

Sorry for all those stupid questions, I am just a big worrywart, I know. So, please, bear with me.

2. Deltaechoe

Deltaechoe The Dopefish

May 3, 2012
    United States
    I played with my Wii U all day without a single issue, this is a complicated machine so some defects will happen but the ones that are happening are being sensationalized.

3. jalaneme

jalaneme Female Gamer

Nov 27, 2006
    London
  4. nando

nando GBAtemp Addict

Jan 1, 2008
    United States
    i have no sound through HDMI cable. i tried every single port on my tv, tried it on a second tv. tried connecting to my receiver, to a fox in a box and nothing. i am confined to components with which the image is not as sharp

5. jalaneme

jalaneme Female Gamer

Nov 27, 2006
    London
    more problems on the wii u, ongoing discussion:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/631516-wii-u/64674118

seems to be a annoying problem, someone on here also had this problem too.

6. DiscostewSM

DiscostewSM GBAtemp Guru

Feb 10, 2009
    United States
    Sacramento, California
    There is no "5GB" patch. That 5GB is what was already pre-allocated to the system, which consists of system files and available space for any patch, because I doubt Nintendo would try allocating space after the fact if people happened to fully use up the internal memory before downloading any future patches.

7. crono141

crono141 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 7, 2012
    United States
    There's been a lot of FUD floating around on the internet, but it is just that: FUD. Issues pop up in a console launch; they always do. But they are very few and far between. In the age of the internet, if 10 people out of 1 million have a problem, you'll hear about it like its affecting everybody.

8. Taint

Taint Member

Newcomer
    Sep 16, 2012
    Canada
    Exactly. And not to mention there could be people just posting made up crap on various forums just to troll people.

9. Valwin

Valwin The Neautral Gamer

Banned
    May 11, 2011
    United States
    Puertorico
    most of the stuff on that neogaf are easy to fix with patches witch Nintendo already says is working on some of the other thing are users been dumb like that wifi thing

10. weavile001

weavile001 Spiritmaster

Jun 10, 2012
    Brazil
    somewhere
    if you arent dumb , nothing will happen, just make sure to not turn off the gamepad during the update

11. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    I assume turning off the gamepad is not that bad as long as you don't turn off the WiiU itself?

12. weavile001

weavile001 Spiritmaster

Jun 10, 2012
    Brazil
    somewhere
    yeah, but anyway, dont turn off anything during the update.

13. Snailface

Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Sep 20, 2010
    Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    Probably true, at least in my experience.

During the installation part of the update, my Gamepad lost signal with the system. It said, "Gamepad failed to update"' then it just turned off. I was worried tbh, but I was able to restart the gamepad and it just resumed the final 20% of the overall installation update.

Somebody with a little less common sense might have panicked and shut off the system, producing a brick. Fortunately, I learn from the mistakes of others. :P

14. pwsincd

pwsincd Garage Flower

Dec 4, 2011
    Manchester UK
    i thought marcan had confirmed the update was 1 gig not 5 ?

15. Snailface

Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Sep 20, 2010
    Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    Its a 1GB compressed download that expands to take up about 5 GBs of reserved space on the WiiUs on-board memory.

16. dgwillia

dgwillia The Bacon Lover

Mar 9, 2008
    United States
    Columbia Station, Ohio
    Got a defective gamepad charging cable and a dead pixel on my gamepad

17. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    It's not compressed, it's only IOS, channels and files which are downloaded and installed/replaced, like for the Wii. It's not a big zip file, but multiple files downloaded one by one, uncompressed.
    5GB is certainly pre-allocated for (future) firmware updates, it doesn't mean the files are expanded to 5GB after the download.

18. Chary

Chary Never sleeps

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    Don't go and cancel your preorder. My friends, (4 of them) all have Wii U's. All of them are in perfect working order.

19. mysticwaterfall

mysticwaterfall Streamforce Supreme Commander

Aug 11, 2008
    United States
    Right behind you
    It took me about an hour to get mine to connect to the net. Besides that no problems here.

20. ShadowSoldier

ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Oct 8, 2009
    Canada
    The thing is, I tried turning off the console. Held the button in, pushed it, held it in on the GamePad, nothing would turn it off. I wasn't going to unplug the console, because that's a great way to surge your electronics. But anyways, yeah, the only people who are ending up with bricked consoles are the ones who are dumb with electronics and shouldn't have them in the first place.