Hacking Some Wii softmodding questions...

alaCarter

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi. I was about to use the stickied guide on this board to install bannerbomb on my Wii, but I first have a few questions:

1. Should I update to 4.2 before I softmod? I've been hearing about problems in accessing the Wii Shop Channel and the SD card on firmwares earlier than 4.2

2. Can my Wii read DVD-r's? My Wii is white and the serial number prefix is LU.

3. Is there anything else I need besides bannerbomb?

Thank you in advance.

TRushInfo

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
1: thats the first part of the guide so yes
2: doesnt matter what color, depends on manufacture date, theres a list somewhere google
3: the stuff in the guide

ur not installing bannerbomb ur running it. Read up first

transam81

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
1. yes you should be on 4.2, so if your not then yes update so that you can access the shop channel and sd card menu.
2. if you don't know, then give it a try. after softmodding try running a dvd-r using neogamma or playing a dvd using mplayer ce.
3. use the softmod guide found in the sticky, you know the thread found at the top of the hacking page.
banner bomb does only one thing, it only installs the homebrew channel. again to find out what you'll need after bannerbomb follow the guide. that way you can finish softmodding your wii.

bjorno

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
1. mhm, like the other people said.
2. DVD-R? If you recently bought one, it cant. (why dont you use usb?, its faster and dvd is only limited to 3x speed and usb can do 6x unless you buy a modchip then you could do 6x dvd speed UNLESS you got the newest drive, then you need to switch drives to an old one O_O)
3. Yeah look, if you use bannerbomb, you only got homebrew channel, dvdx and bootmii. But to fully softmod it, look for the completesoftmodguide (stickied)

alaCarter

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright. If my Wii can play DVD's, is there really anything wrong with DVD besides being only 3x speed? I don't have a job, so it's not like I can drop $100 on an external drive; not only that, I'd probably use less than half the space on it anyway.

Also, I'd like to be able to still play burned GC games.

C.S.I.

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
How old is your Wii?

About mid 2008, they changed the drives, so that they can no longer read backup DVDs.

There is nothing really wrong with using DVD's, except its seen as somewhat 'old school', and all newer Wii's wont read 'em.

alaCarter

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see. Alright, well I guess I'll just have to invest money in an external drive. Any good deals on drives around 80-100GB?

C.S.I.

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
There is a list around somewhere of 'compatible' drives. You will have to search for it though.

Most anything that does NOT spin down will probably work.

I've tried 4 random USB drives, two 2.5" self powered, and 2 x 3.5" Powered, and all work a treat, but then, you may be unlucky =)

If you go the USB HDD path, save yourself headaches, and go FAT32 partiton, avoid WBFS imho.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: :rofl2: :rofl2: