Hacking Some stupid PS3 jailbreak questions

steam

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So i've searched..even google but to no avail so pls don't kill me for asking..
i have a slim ps3, 3.41, p3go coming in 3days..

question:
if i have a real ps3 disk, can i backup the game to my ext/internal hdd? thats way i don't need the disk to play...if so, what software do i use to do that?

question:
besides the p3go, i need to have another piece of software right?...gaia or backupmgr or something like that?
Whats the best one to get right now...for most support, ease of use..?

question:
online game updates still work right? or does that need psn(yes i read the thread about psn being accessible now)?...and no, i don't have a psn network acct.

question:
is there a way to disable that 'you need to update before ...blah-blah' when you go online? i'm just scared when i'm not home, some idiot might use the ps3 and click YES to system update.

question:
someone have a HOWTO or a cheat sheet that clearly explains all these processes etc?...share some good links?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Sao Mortel

Trophies
Website
shoptemp.com
XP
Country
Canada
Since your post is so nicely formatted the answers are quick

steam said:
question:
if i have a real ps3 disk, can i backup the game to my ext/internal hdd? thats way i don't need the disk to play...if so, what software do i use to do that?
All game managers like gaia and open backup managers do that

steam said:
question:
besides the p3go, i need to have another piece of software right?...gaia or backupmgr or something like that?
Whats the best one to get right now...for most support, ease of use..?
Managers do all the same thing some have more game compatibility. They evolve day by day. p3go is only the dongle it probably relies on psgroove for updates also.
steam said:
question:
online game updates still work right? or does that need psn(yes i read the thread about psn being accessible now)?...and no, i don't have a psn network acct.
Just make one once you get your p3go and update it to latest psgroove and you can use your ps3 online.
QUOTE(steam @ Nov 15 2010, 06:21 PM)
question:
is there a way to disable that 'you need to update before ...blah-blah' when you go online? i'm just scared when i'm not home, some idiot might use the ps3 and click YES to system update.
Not as for now you either keep your ps3 offline or keep the idiots off.

steam

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my p3go uses karataka or something...pl3 and erm..hermes

so gaia=backupmgr ? same thing right?

so basically i need only 1 piece of software...

ddetkowski

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've tried alot of the different backup managers, and for looks and ease of use, I now stick with Gaia.
Be careful, un-installing a manager SOMETIMES wipes and/or corrupts your drives, internal and external, I know, it happened to me.

steam

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ddetkowski said:
I've tried alot of the different backup managers, and for looks and ease of use, I now stick with Gaia.
Be careful, un-installing a manager SOMETIMES wipes and/or corrupts your drives, internal and external, I know, it happened to me.

what happens then...i mean when corrupted

ddetkowski

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You have to format the drive, and you lose everything on it. PS3 internal, you lose all saves, games you copied to drive, any games / items you purchased thru PSN also....
Doe'snt hurt the PS3, just starts out with a clean drive again....

steam

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
..but its not like something you can prevent right?

i mean...u install an app...uninstall...not something you can control what happens thereafter

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It once hanged when using Comgenie's Awesome File Manager while being under PL3.
The File manager booted to a black screen and the console didn't respond anymore, I had to force power OFF.

After booting again, there was a message "please wait" instead of XMB booting.
I thought the console was done for a format, but after few seconds it returned back to XMB. I guess it did a checkdisk to correct the file system.

Then I used Hermes + Comgenie's file manager and it worked correctly. I don't know if it needs Peek and poke, but I guess it does, because Hermes allow Root access, while PL3 doesn't.

QUOTE said:
question:

There's few way to do it.
1)
Use a Spoofing payload.
PL3 3.50Spoof or Hermes 3.50Spoof. It will modify the reported firmware version in your memory and make the console think you are in 3.50 : no more update
Bonus : PSN access.

2)
Use a proxy (like CF3B5's PS3 proxyServer) which allow you to redirect HTTP requests to a local file on your computer.
Redirect the "firmware version checking server" to a file saying that the last firmware is 3.41 (if you are on 3.41).
NO PSN access through proxy/DNS.

3)
Use a PS3 redirect DNS (there are few one on the net, 2 public I think), or create your own DNS server (you need a Linux dedicated remote or local server), which redirect the Firmware version checking server to a file (like the previous one, but uses a DNS instead of a Proxy).

4)
Use the proxy to enable the net access only when you want, without replacing the checking server.
It will only prevent "idiots" to update. Only when you enable the proxy on your computer, the net will be enabled.
The "update message" will be shown only if you have the net enable on boot, or when you test the net access in the network preferences.
Just be sure to disable auto update.

ddetkowski

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
steam said:
..but its not like something you can prevent right?

i mean...u install an app...uninstall...not something you can control what happens thereafter
Basically, yes, nothing you can control, so user beware.
(some game managers save to a certain folder, gamez, oman, etc.... if your games are in that folder,
they are then deleted when you uninstall the managers)

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
About the deleted games while deleting a manager, it depends if the games are stored in a sub-folder of the manager, or outside.

When deleting a Title, it deletes all the folder and sub-folder contents.
for example,

Backup Manager 1.0 (the first one) uses :
Manager folder : dev_hdd0/games/LAUN12345/
Game folder : dev_hdd0/games/LAUN12345/GAMEZ/

Open Manager uses :
Manager folder : dev_hdd0/games/OMANxxxx/
Game folder : dev_hdd0/games/OMANxxxxx/GAMEZ/
(I don't remember the real folder name)

And Gaia Manager uses :
Manager folder : dev_hdd0/games/GAIAxxxx/
Game folder : dev_hdd0/GAMEZ/
or
Game folder : dev_hdd0/BDRIPS/

Deleting Gaia manager will not delete your games because they are not stored in the manager's sub-folder.

ATTENTION :
Every managers allow you to use the old "dev_hdd0/games/LAUN12345/GAMEZ/" folder to store your games, because it was the first folder everyone used and to prevent dumping your games again to a new folder each time you change your manager.

If you use Gaia with Laun12345 folder and think "I don't need Backup Manager1.0 anymore", it WILL delete all the games from Laun12345 because it's its own folder.

So you have to understand where are stored your games before deleting a manager.
You can use Comgenie's Awesome File Manager or a FTP server to verify your internal HDD content.
You can also instantly move the already dumped games from a folder to another using Comegenie's File Manager.

steam

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks guys for all that info...

-is Comgenie's Awesome File Manager a different thing than Gaia or do they do the same thing?

-from what you've listed, it seems its safest to install games in dev_hdd0/GAMEZ/ ..no?

-i was hoping there'd be an entry i can put into say my wireless router to disable access to a certain IP or hostname...that causes a failure when the ps3 tries to check firmware. But if psn, game update servers and that 'firmware server' are one and the same, then its harder. I'm gonna do the spoofing payload but thats really a temp fix coz when 3.51 comes out...its gonna happen again.

-btw, we all need at least ONE original disk correct? Just so we can have it in the system while loading. ..so i need to go buy one cheapie game for this purpose?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
-is Comgenie's Awesome File Manager a different thing than Gaia or do they do the same thing?

The file Manager is only a "File" manager, as of copy/delete/move files from/to any folders, internal or external.

Using this tools can be dangerous if you move/delete something important.

-from what you've listed, it seems its safest to install games in dev_hdd0/GAMEZ/ ..no?
For my opinion, that's the current best choice (either GAMEZ or BDRIPS, but I prefer GAMEZ).
A unified manager will come shortly, and will maybe use another folder. But it's not a problem anymore, we can move games with the file manager.

-i was hoping there'd be an entry i can put into say my wireless router
On a french forum, someone started a list of address and their purpose, so you can also block these one by one.

The XMB connect to different servers to check for firmware update, depending your console configuration and region.

• fjp01.ps3.update.playstation.net
This is the one you want to block if you are using a 3.50Spoof payload.
The payload changes the checking server to the "Debugging Station" server.

If you are not using a Spoof Payload, block one or all of these servers :
[title:Other XMB firmware checking server]
fuk01.ps3.update.playstation.net
duk01.ps3.update.playstation.net
fus01.ps3.update.playstation.net
fjp01.ps3.update.playstation.net
feu01.ps3.update.playstation.net
fkr01.ps3.update.playstation.net
fmx01.ps3.update.playstation.net
fau01.ps3.update.playstation.net
fsa01.ps3.update.playstation.net
ftw01.ps3.update.playstation.net
fru01.ps3.update.playstation.net
fcn01.ps3.update.playstation.net
dus01.ps3.update.playstation.net
djp01.ps3.update.playstation.net
deu01.ps3.update.playstation.net
dkr01.ps3.update.playstation.net
dmx01.ps3.update.playstation.net
dau01.ps3.update.playstation.net
dsa01.ps3.update.playstation.net
dtw01.ps3.update.playstation.net
dru01.ps3.update.playstation.net
dcn01.ps3.update.playstation.net
More info if you want to spoof the updatelist.txt from the XMB update server.
the checked URL is of this form : feu01.ps3.update.playstation.net/update/ps3/list/eu/ps3-updatelist.txt

-btw, we all need at least ONE original disk correct?
There's almost no need for the original game anymore. But some few games still need one (both naruto, and others I don't remember)
Just an original Demo disk is ok too. (like the Move demo disc)

steam

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i guess i gotta look at some youtube videos coz i'm getting more confused, not really getting what gaia and afm really does

yeah i have no demo disk...surprised the ps3 doesn't come with one in the box...i ordered katamari forever for $10...that should work. my move/eye bundle came with no disk whatsoever

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Gaia is a backup manager : it allow you to play backup games
Comegenie files manager is a File explorer : it allow you to see the files present on your internal hard drive.

It's really simple, and they have nothing in common.

steam

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cyan said:
Gaia is a backup manager : it allow you to play backup games
Comegenie files manager is a File explorer : it allow you to see the files present on your internal hard drive.

It's really simple, and they have nothing in common.

aah now that helps a lot...thanks!

steam

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i got my p3go today and now trying to load a game...can someone give me a rundown what i need to do?
i also dl'ed and placed comgenie and gaia in the usb...i have to install those 2 packages right?

i was thinking of just running a game from a 8gb usb stick first to test.

do i just create a GAMEZ folder and dump the "BLUxxxxx" in it? then after jb the ps3, stick that usb in and use gaia to browse there to run it or something?

thanks for the help!

edit: gaia comes with 2 files, bdrips and gamez...i assume i'm supposed to install the gamez version so that would be where it installs gamez or soemthing ...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and idk if something will happen to my ps3 if i connect it to wifi with hen activated
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I remember when the Atari 2600 was new and exciting lol
    It could get banned from PSN but you can change your ID I think?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient