Some really basic questions about Wii hacks.

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by War, Jul 27, 2008.

Jul 27, 2008
  1. War
    OP

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    EDIT: Okay, I got a couple of new questions, and I didn't wanna make a new thread, so here they go...

-Is there any way to load an SD card on to the computer other than using an SD card reader? Because surprisingly, my local electronics store didn't have one for sale... and I really wanna do the Twilight Hack. I have a 2Gb SD card, but I don't know how I'm gonna load it to the computer... anyone got any ideas? I was thinking maybe I can just use my MicroSD card reader and put the files in a MicroSD card, then put the MicroSD card into a MicroSD to SD adapter. (Which I do have) Would that work?

-Let me see if I got my process right; if not, let me know. So I plug in my SD card to the computer, put in the Homebrew Channel .elf and rename it to boot.elf. I run the Twilight Hack, which is then gonna run the Homebrew Channel. I reset my Wii, and I should have the HBC installed. I then take out my SD card, put it back in to my computer, and make a folder in the root called "Homebrew". I also put the .elf for the WAD manager and put it in the root and name it "boot.elf". Then inside that Homebrew folder, I make individual folders for each VC game/WiiWare game. I then put the SD card back into the Wii, load the Homebrew channel, and from there, an option to load the WAD manager should appear? And after I click on it, it should install all my wads?

2. nanika

Member nanika 文鎮じゃダメ!まぁ、こんな文字小さしすぎてどうせ読めないっしょ。

United States
    1. Yes, but you need to know how to make custom disks for each homebrew. But still, only on Wii System Menu versions up to 3.2 as they need to be Trucha signed.
    2. A .wad is a file that contains everything to install a Wii programme, a bit like a Windows .msi file.
    3. Either, you just download the .wad for the VC game.
    4. Trucha signing is used to edit the contents of Wii disks, and re-sign them so they are still accepted by Wiis. We do not know the official signature needed, but Trucha signing exploits a bug with which the official signature is not needed. Trucha was blocked in Wii System Menu version 3.3 though, but can still be run with a homebrew program named GeckoOS.

3. War
    OP

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    So, let me get this straight... basically, without a mod chip, you can play WiiWare and VC games for free? That sounds pretty cool...

Also, how exactly do the wads work? Let's say I have the Homebrew Channel already installed... Do I just stick em in my memory card and access them through the Homebrew Channel? Is there a way of making them look legit, AKA like when you download them and they appear in their own channel?

4. nanika

United States
    Not quite. You use a homebrew program (.wad Manager) via Homebrew Channel or the Twilight Hack to install .wad files on a SD card, which then appear on your Wii as usual, like VC games usually do. They do have slight telltale differences though, but these can now be fixed with bushing's xyzzy, although no-one has written a program to do it.

EDIT: Expanded.

5. War
    OP

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    Oh, I see... so in stupid terms, a wad is like an .exe file, and the wad Installler run via Homebrew Channel is a form of running the ".exe" and installing it onto your memory card, correct?

6. Sir-Fritz

Member Sir-Fritz GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    It installs it onto the wii system memory, you cant run a wii channel off a sd card.

7. nanika

United States
    Yes. [​IMG]

8. War
    OP

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    I put new questions in the first post. Someone please help me out! Thanks!

9. Anorhc

Member Anorhc GBAtemp Regular

United States
    That will work. That's my current setup.

If you have a digital device that uses that SD card, you could run a USB device through it to transfer files that way... but the method you described works just fine.

10. War
    OP

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    Hey, that's not a bad idea... but I'm pretty sure that my grandpa's camera runs on some epicly old memory storage unit, not SD... Well, I just walked about 2 hours there and back to the store to get a damn SD card, and now I can't even read it .____. That sucks. I guess I'll borrow one from my DS then.

11. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    For the microSD to SD adapter, it will work.

now for that :
    1 - Installing TH (the save) ok
    2 - installing the HBC boot.elf ok
    3 - running TH, installing, and reset the Wii ok
    4 - now it's not good :
    delete the boot.elf, and create a folder called "apps" not "homebrew"

in the apps folder, create folders for each homebrew and applications you want to run.
    (you can download and extract the apps_pack from HBC website, to have the folders structure)
    if they need additional folder (roms, wad etc.) add them to the root of your SD card.
    apps/name_of_your_homebrew/boot.elf
    apps/wadmanager/boot.elf
    wad/
    ROMS/
    SAVES/
    etc.

put your .wad in the "wad" folder
    put the SD in your Wii, and start the homebrew channel, it will read the apps folder and show you a menu with each boot.elf it founds.

If you need more details or help, just ask.

12. zidane_genome

Member zidane_genome My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?

United States
    Here's how you do it.

First, get the Twilight Princess hacked save. Then get the following;
    1) Homebrew Channel v8 WAD file
    2) WadManager (find the Homebrew Channel package)
    3) Any other Homebrew Channel packages and WADs you want.

Install everything on your SD card in the correct folders. (all HBC packages go into the folder 'apps' then in a folder describing it, like G:\apps\wadmanager)

Take the WadManager .elf file, and put it on the root of your SD card. Let's say your SD card is drive G. So that would be like this (G:\boot.elf)

Put the Twilight Hack on your Wii (through data management). Now, pop in Zelda, and either run backwards, or go talk to the guy in front of you.

You'll see the code dump start, then the Wad Manager will start up.

Install the HBC wad, then restart your Wii.

You'll now have the HBC installed, and won't have to run the Twilight Hack to install Wads (since you still have the WadManager in the HBC!

13. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    Sorry zidane_genome, but I think you got it wrong.
    There is no WAD for Homebrew channel to install.

it's either a boot.elf, or an iso installer, not a WAD.

14. felix123

Member felix123 GBAtemp Regular

New Zealand
    There is a Homebrew Channel WAD.

15. War
    OP

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    Wouldn't it just be easier to run the HBC .elf from the TH and just have the Wad Manager .elf in its own app folder? That way when I run the TH it will just install the Homebrew Channel? (And from there I'd be able to use the WAD Manager?)

Also, what other apps should I get that are useful? I got Wad Manager and Freethewads, but I heard that FTW doesn't have a good compatibility list.

16. skawo96

Member skawo96 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    Use the Tp to install the HBC and forget about anything else...just place elfs in ROOT/apps/
    and be happy

You should get emulators: FCEU, Snes9X, Wii64, GenPlus, then Homebrew Browser, Savegame installer and extractor, Mii installer/extractor, Wad Manager.

17. War
    OP

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    Okay, one last thing before I go: Let me know if my card set-up is okay

J:
    apps
    private
    wad
    boot.elf (HBC)

In apps:
    WADManager

In wad:
    All my games, all end in .wad, and there are no spaces in the names. (I heard that it doesn't read 'em if they have spaces on them.

Does that sound good? In private, I have the TH installed, but there's 3 different save files in there... how do I know which one works with my TP game? I have in the private folder:
    rzde
    rzdj
    rzdp

EDIT: oaky, I looked in the thread and it said that the US TP uses RZDE I believe.

18. skawo96

Member skawo96 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    If TP hacks shows in Wii then it's good.

19. Killer Phantom

Member Killer Phantom GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I don't know what is already answered, so don't mind me if I'm late.

That's all I know, hopefully it helps.

20. War
    OP

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    Hmm... okay, I'm about to finally try this in a couple hours, but I just thought of something...

Okay, so I have about... I dunno, let's say 12 VC games and like 4 WiiWare games, all fit in my 2Gb card and I have lots of room left over. But I was thinking... if I go to WadManager on my HBC and install these all, once they are installed, are they installed into the Wiis memory? Because I'm pretty sur that the Wii has shit memory, and can't hold that much stuff... so I don't want it to like... install everything and then the Wii runs out of memory and I get some sort of brick/crash problem.

I really hope that the wad manager only makes it so they can be run on the Wii, but they use the SD cards memory... otherwise I won't be able to hold much considering the Wiis shitty memory capacity, and the SD card will be rendered useless (only useful for transferring to the Wii...) Can someone please clarify for me?