Some quick, basic Lite-On questions

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by War, Jan 20, 2010.

Jan 20, 2010
  1. War
    OP

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    In anticipation of the new iXtreme LT firmware, I'm considering doing a "Wal Mart swap" with a new console (my current console is flagged :

2. Armadillo

Member Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom

3. cardyology

Member cardyology GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    I've just popped open my "virgin" box & the DVD drive is a lite on with firmware version 74850c

I have a Connectivity kit & probe thingy, i;ve flashed countless lite-on drives before.

How do i flash this with the new lite touch? Dump my key etc using the probe & flash in the normal manner?
    I;ve been reading forum posts all day & they're talking about "full dumps" & cutting traces etc.

Is the lite touch flashed to this drive in the "regular" manner?

thanks [​IMG]

4. Armadillo

United Kingdom
    Flashes the same as before. Cutting traces and soldering is only if you want to get a full dump of your firmware (rather than just the key) or if you have a 83850 v2 or 93450.

5. cardyology

United Kingdom
    Cool man, so jsut read original key with the probe, spoof the data into the lite touch 74850c version & erase & write?

Is there anything else I need to do? anything different?

Are the 74850c drives "brickable?" or is it a case of if i have my dvd key then I can always recover?

6. Armadillo

United Kingdom
    If you have your key you can always recover. Only real way to kill a lite on is to plug the power adapter in upside down [​IMG]

7. cardyology

United Kingdom
    Thanks for your help mate!

8. cardyology

United Kingdom
    K, sorry for the double post.

I;ve dumped my key & got this

Spoofing Target
    DVD Key copied to target
    Inquiry string copied to Target
    Identify string copied to Target
    Serial data copied from Source to Target
    No Calibration data in source

the "no calibration data in source" is slightly worrying. Is this normal? its been at least 5 months since i last flashed a lite on & cant remeber if this is normal or not & i dont wanna erase & write it to my drive if its not!

9. Armadillo

United Kingdom
    Calibration data is laser calibration data. Apparently there is calibration data in the lite-on firmware that is unique to each drive. How ever people have been running without it being copied for ages now (this is the first revision of jungleflasher that supports it) so whether it's necessary is still up for debate. Only way to get it, is to do a full dump (cut tracks and solder), not having it doesn't appear to do any harm judging from the amount of flashed lite-ons out there, but if you really want it, then you have to do a full dump.

10. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Calibration data is a new thing as of full dumps appearing (serial and barcode data being the only other data available), as of this moment nobody is sure if it is even necessary/does anything for the end user and indeed until LT nobody had a firmware that used it.

edit: beaten to punch. Also forgot to add we might however see an "average" or even generated calibration at some point in the near future if it turns out it does matter.

11. cardyology

United Kingdom
    Potential ban flag?

12. Armadillo

United Kingdom
    Doubtful, as far as I know the calibration data doesn't have anything in it that ties it to a specific drive (drive serial etc) and I don't believe it's missing in the hacked firmware either, you just have the data from the dump of the firmware the hacked one was based on. Wouldn't surprise me, when lt fails and the next ban wave comes along, that'll it be brought out as the next in a long line of excuses for why it happened.

13. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    If you are going to pull a wal-mart swap, just know that it is illegal. Not just civilly, but criminally, meaning you could be fined or spend time in prison. You were warned.

14. cardyology

United Kingdom
    Ok.

Sorry to keep hammering this board with nooby questions but im having diffculty.

I read the key ( a few times) from my lite on, went to the MKTflash tab, clicked "lite on erase" but didnt get status 0x72.

It gave me a status of 0x0 & now it says the device is in vendor mode but hasnt got the flash chip properties. I;ve tried "lite on erase" again a few times & it keeps giving me the 0x0 status. Even though it says device in vendor mode?

Could it be that it has erased the drive? I cant "write" to it becuase it says bad flash chip properties.

I did power the drive off & on in quick sucsession after clicking the erase button, it didnt work.

How can i get the drive out of vendor mode & try again?

15. FAST6191

pip
    United Kingdom
  16. cardyology

United Kingdom
    Again, massive thanks for all your help guys!

The drive wouldnt eject so i guessed it was erased.

Rebooted my PC, turned the CK3 back on & its giving me the good flash chip status now.

Gotta go out but i'll write to it later. All is not lost!!

Thanks super-cool dudes [​IMG]

17. War
    OP

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    Lol my thread go soooo hijacked. Anyway, this is bad news for me since I have absolutely no experience with soldering. I might just give up on getting a new 360 then [​IMG]

18. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    You can usually get electronics kits for like $10 that gives you a bunch of parts that you can put together. Just get one of those and a cheap soldering iron and do some practice.

It'll probably help out later on in life, too, so might as well try now.

19. cardyology

United Kingdom
    sorry for hijacking your thread mate i just thought it was the best place for my questions.

20. FAST6191

pip
    United Kingdom
    @War if you already did/have a probe then finding a 7 series or 8v1 drive should not be that hard, if you do not care about homebrew (even then you can still find them) then there should be a fair few models about- late October 2009 the 8v2 and 9 which present/probably always will require soldering.