Some questions regarding the Galaxy Tab 10.1

Discussion in 'Android' started by soulx, Dec 18, 2011.

Dec 18, 2011
  1. soulx
    OP

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    Well I'm getting a Galaxy Tab 10.1 soon. I have absolutely no experience with Android so this will all be new to me. I am curious about a couple of things.
    • Is there any way to upgrade from Honeycomb to Ice Cream Sandwich while still maintaining the ability to connect to my carrier?
    • How would I root it and what benefits are there to doing so?
    • Do you have suggestions for apps to install?
    • Any other general tips?
    Thanks!

2. soulx
    OP

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    I just checked and I was completely mistaken. It's actually a Galaxy Tab 10.1. Sorry!

3. Tom Bombadildo

Contributor Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip
    United States
    xda-developers.com Go here, search around.
    Your welcome. :yay:

EDIT1: Quick video guide for rooting is here: http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1239185

Suggestions for apps, ES File Explorer, Root Explorer, Apps2SD, Titanium Backup (once you root)

General tips: Once you root, go ahead and remove all of the bloatware, they suck. All ROMs (AFAIK) will support your carrier no matter what (unless it's broken in the ROM), make sure you read through the descriptions and threads at XDA VERY CAREFULLY. Learn as much as you can in terms of what works and what doesn't. More general tips: Once rooted, ALWAYS make a backup of your device before you do any kind of modifying (for example, changing kernels, ROMs, etc etc). A lot of the time various softwares just won't work and you'll be sort of lost without a backup. Back it up right after you root in order to keep a fresh stock ROM, then (if you get a little paranoid) set an auto-backup setting to back your ROM up every 1-2 weeks. Also, once you backup your ROM it would probably be best to move it from the device to your PC in order to keep it safe and such. Uhh...I think that might be everything...Haha

EDIT2: Rooting basically gives you admin rights to your Android device. While rooted, you can change the kernel, the ROM, access various admin-restricted files/folders, and allows various root-needed apps (like Titanium backup). Rooting will give you pretty much unlimited access to your device. It will also allow you to use free Wifi Tethering, so if your carrier forces you to pay for it you won't have to.

4. Dter ic

Member Dter ic ~

United Kingdom
    • Is there any way to upgrade from Honeycomb to Ice Cream Sandwich while still maintaining the ability to connect to my carrier?
    There isn't a ICS ROM for the Galaxy Tab 10.1 unfortunately ;L

5. Twilight Loz

Member Twilight Loz GBAtemp Fan

United States
    But early next year, the galaxy tab 10.1 will be getting ics over the air