Some Questions: DS Lite and FlashCarts ...

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Serpentide, Jul 8, 2006.

Jul 8, 2006
  1. Serpentide
    OP

Newcomer Serpentide Member

Featured Posts:
    Germany
    Hey mates, my first post in this wonderful forum [​IMG]

Following situation:

I've been the lucky owner of a GBA SP for the last years and bought a EZ2PS (EZ-Flash II Powerstar) a long time ago (been very happy with it, besides [​IMG])

Well now I'm planning on getting a NDS Lite within the next months to get in joy of the DS gaming experience.

Now I would like to use my old EZ2PS for testing a few NDS games the first weeks. So my question is:
    Will my EZ2PS work proberly with patched (NDSPatcher or LoadMe) games (saving, slow downs etc.) ?

I couldn't find specific information about the DS-use of the EZ2PS.

And is it also possible to use the EZ2PS for the installation of FlashMe and how to do this (patching the flashme.nds to a flashme.gba) ?

Of course I'm going to get a more powerful Flashcard after having the Lite for a while, I'm waiting for the M3 micro-SD which is said to fit perfectly into the Lite's GBA-Card slot and the advantage of having an extendable storage. But it would be very nice to see that my good old EZ2PS can still do his job - on the DS. [​IMG]

And is it possible to multiplay with my little brother (he with an original and me with a backup) ?

I heard, that it's only possible to multiplay within 2 flashed DS, but would it also help just to give him a PassCard 3 or something like that or does his DS really has to be flashed ?

And my last question: How great is the possibility, that Nintendo will bring out a new DS within the next years ? [​IMG]

Sorry for my bad English [​IMG] I hope, someone can help me.

If I should have further questions I'll post them into this topic [​IMG]

Greetz, Serpentide

2. yuwing

Member yuwing GBAtemp Fan

Featured Posts:
    Canada
    who knows. It's small enough as it is. Since u got two screens, there isn't much room left...
    But i think 60% there will be a new one (in two or more years) [​IMG]

3. Azimuth

Member Azimuth Chicken Teriyaki Boy!

Featured Posts:
    Canada
    I really cant think of a way Nintendo can improve the ds anymore, they could remove the gba slot and make the ds smaller but that would just be silly

4. yuwing

Member yuwing GBAtemp Fan

Featured Posts:
    Canada
    It could happen but I can imagine myself not buying it cuz i'm getting EZflash lite [​IMG]

5. Serpentide
    OP

Featured Posts:
    Germany
    Yeah you're probably right. There is in fact nothing, Nintendo could improve concerning the DS! [​IMG] And removing the GBA-slot would be a goal for themselves.

But still are there any ideas for the other questions I posted ?

6. nintendofreak

Member nintendofreak Around. Shoot me a PM.

Featured Posts:
    United States
    yes you can use your cart to flash your ds but you need to use ndspatch or dslazy to convert the roms from .nds to .ds.gba (a format that you can put on your cart!!) not too sure about compatability or saving features on that specific cart. I had POS xg flash... sucked for ds. But Ez-Flash im sure is much better [​IMG]
    Theres options to save to the inserted ds cart, not sure how that works. (good thing your wating for the M3 Micro.)

YES you can play with your brother if one of you has a flashed ds and the other one doesnt. IF it doesnt work, you just have to mess around with the options and stuff till you get to some combination that works. (combination with the patching program)

I think the chance of making another ds is very low, i dont think they can make it any smaller, since it has to be *at least* the size of the 2 screens, and theyve practically done that.
    good luck

7. harryjon35

Member harryjon35 GBAtemp Regular

Featured Posts:
    Germany
    i also have an old ezflash 2 powerstar and it really works quit good. i even played Tetris via download play and the other DS wasn't flashed. it didn't work with my m3 cf. but tetris was the only game that worked via download play. i don't know how it works out if you have an original game and the ezflash. but maybe it works since you don't have to send the game to the other ds.

i used the ezflash card to install flashme on my old ds (the phat one). you'll need a passcard,of course.

the few games i tested worked like the games on my m3. no slowdowns, perfect saving. but be sure to use the newest ezclient (3.26). even newer games like super mario bros work. not bad for a gba flashcart.

8. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    Featured Posts:
    United Kingdom
    Will my EZ2PS work proberly with patched (NDSPatcher or LoadMe) games (saving, slow downs etc.) ?

As of version 3.20 of EZClient there has been inbuilt rom patching, the current version of EZClient (3.26) enables pretty much every rom to be played (compatibilty is about the same as the EZ4).
    No slowdowns that I have seen (all the major "tests" were done as well save Tony Hawks A.S. as I have not made a working 256 rip yet).

As the EZ2 is only up to a gigabit in size and some DS roms are up to a gigabit you might also want to learn how to remove the junk from a rom, see the DS rom rips and enhancements link in my signature for guide and a bunch of working techniques.

And is it also possible to use the EZ2PS for the installation of FlashMe and how to do this (patching the flashme.nds to a flashme.gba) ?

You can either use DSBuild (I stuck it on my site, link in my signature) the other day or the loader.bin (from the flashme homepage) and the copy /b command to add a GBA header or you can just rename the file flashme.gba and burn it to the cart without patching it as a GBA rom.
    I know it is possible as I have done it.

And is it possible to multiplay with my little brother (he with an original and me with a backup) ?

I have played many games with a link connection using my EZ2 and real games.
    *has flashbacks of the M.K. and tetris marathons.

I heard, that it's only possible to multiplay within 2 flashed DS, but would it also help just to give him a PassCard 3 or something like that or does his DS really has to be flashed ?

This is a lie as it tends to be you patching method: EZClient patching mechanisms do not affect it for all the games I have played.

And my last question: How great is the possibility, that Nintendo will bring out a new DS within the next years ?

I long ago gave up trying to figure what is happening today in computer games circles let alone in a few years. I would say it is not impossible but any money wagered would go for the "in a few years when the DS is dying" option.

9. Tomobobo

Member Tomobobo Champion.

Featured Posts:
    United States
    Nintendo loves to bring out new handhelds every 3 to 4 years. They'll probably come out with another one pretty soon. I don't know what they could do though. Maybe a bigger and better stylus and stylus slot? A laser that can microwave TV dinners? I dunno.

10. Serpentide
    OP

Featured Posts:
    Germany
    Mates, there's only one word I can think of when I'm reading this: WOW !
    I didn't expect that many answers so thank you so much for your great support ! [​IMG]

THX@everyone

@nintendofreak: Yeah I've got the plan to buy one of these new M3 micro-SDs, but in case I can't wait until it gets out, I'll probably buy a G6 Lite which is in my eyes another great solution with the only negative point of having non-extendable storage. [​IMG]

@harryjon35: I'll see what I can do about flashing my DS Lite. A few kilometres far from here there's a modding store for everything u can think of concerning the newer consoles (Xbox, PS2, GameCube, PSP, ...). Maybe they are going to extend their services on NDS so that they could flash my NDS Lite for me for maybe 20€ or so. It would be much more comfortable than buying a Superkey (heard it has no annoying intro like the Passcard 3). But well if nothing helps I'm going to give it a try. A Superkey probably is always usable. If you want you can contact me via ICQ: 221035635 - would be nice to talk a bit with you german mate [​IMG]

@FAST6191: Thank you so much for this awesome support. Nice to see that there are still people that know what their EZ is worth [​IMG]
    I've been using v3.25 for my software because for me the official homepage of the EZ-Team doesn't work for me these days. So great so see that you have told me about a mirror for this one. *thumbs up*
    PS: I've got the 512Mb version. Should be enough for a few games [​IMG]

@Tomobobo: Yeah this is sad but true. Nintendo really has the trend of bringing an updated version of their handhelds quite often. But the fact that there were "only" 3 versions of the GBA cools me down a bit. But really, there is in fact no need updating the Lite. Cons like the D-Pad and the volume slider can't reason a new update. [​IMG]

Greetz from Germany, Serpentide