Some questions about wad and SD

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by hocuspocus, Sep 2, 2010.

Sep 2, 2010
  1. hocuspocus
    OP

Newcomer hocuspocus Member

United States
    got a few questions about wad's

0. Is it possible to load wads from a usb loader? (i doubt it, but its worth asking)
    1. Is it possible to install wads directly to a sd card? or does it have to go to console memory first?
    2. How fast can the wii read/write to an sd card (hopefully this is limited to the card speed)? Will getting a class 20 sd card significantly decrease wiiware load times? (when loaded from sd card ofc)
    3. Is there a limit GB wise that the wii is capable of reading? I have a new black wii if that makes a difference.

2. PeregrinFig

Member PeregrinFig A miserable little pile of secrets

United States
    0. I'm actually not 100% sure, I know one loader can run VC/WW games but I don't know if it runs directly from the WADs.
    1. You have to install a WAD to the Wii's NAND, that's just how they work.
    2. From what I can tell, usually channels will boot off an SD card the same speed they do off the NAND, but I haven't tested this much. This is mostly a hypothesis so it could be BS, but cartridges are known for having no in-game loading at all because they load everything at once, unlike discs, and if the data is handled the same way on a VC game, which I think it is, the only time you'll need to load anything is when you boot the channel up. (Obviously the data still needs to be loaded while you play, but it can be read on the fly off a cartridge much easier than a disc)
    3. I have no idea what you mean by this.

3. neotank19

Member neotank19 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I just install them to the wii and move them to my sd card. The first time you load a game up from the sd card it gets loaded into the wii memory, this may take a few seconds. Once it's loaded it's just as fast as any game install to the wii untill you load another game to the wii memory.

About the sd card size, I belive the wii supports up to 32 gb sdhc. I found a nice 4gb sd card that work with all the homebrew apps I use (so far).