Hacking Some questions about the R4 DS

xtreme_power

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
1. I downloaded some DS roms and they are in WinRAR. Do I have to use a program to convert these roms into another format in order to run them?

2. Is Moonshell already included in R4, or do I have to download it myselves?

3. I heard that the R4 DS compatibility for homebrew applications was limited but that this has now been fixed with DIDL right? So where can I get DIDL?

4. I downloaded Resident Evil DS and it had a rom size of around 100MB, just wondering if I put it into the microSD will it take up more space since I heard they round it off to file sizes like 8MB, 16MB, 64MB, 128MB etc. If it's like this where can I download a trimmer?

5. What program do I need to convert videos into the correct format to play them on the DS?

6. How much space does a save usually take?

THANKS FOR THE HELP!

gloonk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate, seriously if you read maybe the first 3 pages of threads in this forum or did just a little bit of SEARCHING you could find the answers pretty quickly yourself.

however

1. unrar them drop and drag to card

2. no but if you SEARCH you might find an install with it. i did

3.SEARCH

4. r4 comes with one or SEARCH for a better one

5. SEARCH there are a few

6. 512k (.5MB)

I might be coming across as sarcastic or smart or something, but i found everything i needed to know in the threads in this r4 forum. people have posted, do them a favour and read what they have to say. You will find some very clever people giving some excellent information in here (myself not included)
smile.gif

cory1492

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
1. you need to un-rar them
2. It needs to be put onto your microSD (http://www.r4ds.net/)
3. http://chishm.drunkencoders.com/DLDI/
there is even a windows GUI version that makes it simpler.
4. dunno, look around. There is a DS-X rom manager that apparently works well for trimming, and other tools like RomerR. Don't use R4's trimmer, it apparently over-trims
5. dpg converter will convert to moonshell format. should be included in the moonshell download on r4's site (see #2)
6. 512 kilobytes on R4. Always. (It is the size of the largest possible save from any of the current ROMs)

GameGeezer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ha!
smile.gif
I was going to say something similar. xtreme_power don't take these comments personally but all of the information you have asked for is contained in these forums you just need to search for it. The best starting point would be the faq stickied at the top of the forum...and use the search function for the other things.

It's more fun that way anyway and there is much more to know than you have listed. Read on!

xtreme_power

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Haha, thanks guys! Thanks for all the different replys, you guys have done all the work for me, now I don't have to search for it myself. Laziness FTW!
tongue.gif

xtreme_power

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, I just finished reading the faqs and to be fair most of the questions I asked weren't in there. Only question 4 and 5 were there so making this topic was justified!
smile.gif

Katalyst

Johnald Everyperson
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well, I just finished reading the faqs and to be fair most of the questions I asked weren't in there. Only question 4 and 5 were there so making this topic was justified!
smile.gif
Actually, the majority of your questions are answered in the FAQ's or threads:

1. .rar is a well-known compression method (as is .zip), therefore that should have either been already known or researched elsewhere. But I'll give you that one.

2. Valid, since it's never really specified that it's included in the firmware download.

3. Answered in the "Idiot's Guide" under Homebrew Patching (link).

4. Answered as well in the "Idiot's Guide" under ROM Trimming.

5. Also answered in the "Idiot's Guide" under Converting Video.

6. Answered in the R4 review (link).

But yeah, whatever ;o

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Announcer - "Ok folks we have a good fight today, Bakerman takes on Wario. This should be a good...