Some questions about resolutions in emulators on 3DS vs. DSi XL

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by SLiV3R, Feb 17, 2013.

1. SLiV3R
    OP

Member SLiV3R 3DS Friend Code: 0473-9069-2206

Sweden
    Hi all

I like my NESDS very much. i think the scaling options are very nice. but for some games it wont just do. so i wonder if I play NESDS or SNEmulDS on the 3DS will it be in original 320x240 resolution? or will they be like they were on the DSi 256x192 but upscaled?

Hope u understand my question!

2. Rizsparky

Member Rizsparky Saiyan Prince

United Kingdom
    Nope, the card only works in DS mode which means it can only play in the DS resolution regardless of console

3. RodrigoDavy

Member RodrigoDavy GBAtemp Maniac

Brazil
    Because of the way backward compatibility works, every DS/DSi software is rendered in 256x192, upscaled and filtered.

You have the option to acquire NES games in the eshop though and you won't have resolutions problem since they are emulated in 3ds mode. But each NES titles cost about $5 if I am not mistaken

4. SLiV3R
    OP

Sweden
    thanx for the answers!

then im not that instrestead in using my acekard 2i on the 3DS.. the problem with the NES games on eshop is that often the buttons are mapped on the "wrong" place. and there is no way to change the buttonmapping..

EDIT: one other problem is that many of the unusal games i like will never be released on the eshop :/

5. Eerpow

Member Eerpow *swoosh*

Sweden
    You can still choose between A/B or B/Y, I don't know why you would want to map to anything other than those.

6. SLiV3R
    OP

Sweden
    hmm. no i cant do that on zelda 2 or mario lost levels for example.. or have i missed any options?

7. Eerpow

Member Eerpow *swoosh*

Sweden
    You can't run with Y and jump with B? it's A/X
    My updated ambassador games allow that at least.

Zelda 2 allow jumping with A and attacking with X, which is basically the same thing.

8. Vanth88

Member Vanth88 Private

United States
    Just because they run in a higher resolution that doesn't make them look better. I compared Metroid 2 3DS to lameboy and besides a neat gameboy themed skin in native resolution and the option to switch between color palettes there really wasn't a huge difference graphically. They both scale the same too. Although I'm sure the VC version is running in a higher resolution lameboy looked virtually the same.

I'm not sure with NES games but I'd imagine they look the same.

9. Eerpow

Member Eerpow *swoosh*

Sweden
    The NES runs at a higher resolution than the DS meaning that huge parts of the game screen doesn't fit and have to be cropped or horribly resized by removing horizontal lines of pixels. And as you know flashcards on a 3DS can't utilize the larger 3DS screen resolution since they run in DS mode, so the VC NES is a huge improvement over the DS NES emulator.