Some questions about emulation on PSP (slim)

Discussion in 'PSP - Hacking & Homebrew' started by Dead Ghost, Nov 22, 2007.

Nov 22, 2007
  1. Dead Ghost
    OP

Member Dead Ghost GBAtemp Regular

Antarctica
    The first, and most important for me, is GBA emulation. I've googled but didn't find any new, updated compatibility lists. But i heard is very good. My question: HOW good? Are there ANY games (EU/US), particularly any good/great/classic ones, that are not fully working (and i mean 100% working, not 99.9% working [​IMG])?
    Also, if you set the game to full screen, but with aspect ratio on (with left and right black bars), how does it look, compared to a GBA SP with brigher screen? It's the same size, or is the psp bigger (with same aspect ratio, but upscaled to psp screen)? Which one looks better? Any reason to get a GBA SP with brighter screen, if i have a psp (i plan to buy one)?

PSX: With Sony's pops (or other, which is best), do you have 100% compatibility? If not, what good/great/classicgames don't work (as in 100% fully playable, not 99%)? Some examples please...(not all of them, lol) [​IMG]

SNES: I know it's not 100% compatibility, then what good/great/classic games don't work? Some examples here, too...

2. Zesto

Newcomer Zesto Advanced Member

United States
    DBZ : Hyper Dimension, Super Butoden 2 and 3 so far are slow. I speed it up as much as I could but it's still not 100%

All games that I've tried also worked with GBA, same with PS1.

3. VVoltz

Member VVoltz The Pirate Lord

Bolivia
    Well, I don't have a compatibility list but what I can say is:

GBA: Runs super smooth, 90% of speed for most games and RTC support. Also save states, about aspect ratio, the usual, 1:1, Zoomed and Full Screen.
    The emulator is called gpPSP.

SNES: Runs fine, and its frame rate depends heavily on the game. Mode 7 is poorly supported, but RPGs are ideal. Savestates supported and many options for chosing the aspect ratio too.
    The emulator is called SNES9Xtyl or something like that. (Can't remember exactly sorry =( )

PSX: Great compatibility, the only game I've tested and didn't work was Doom PSX, the only problem is the controls because the lack of buttons.
    So far I've tested:
    Gran Turismo 1&2
    Tactics Ogre
    All the FFs
    All the Resident Evils (2 has issues I think, or had at least)
    Dark Forces
    Star Wars Demolition
    Grandia
    Chrono Cross
    Rhapsody
    Tomb Raider 3
    Castlevania Chronicles and Symphony
    and many more I can't remember
    All of them with 100% compatibility and framerate, just make sure you are using the latest custom firmware and the latest pop.

4. Taras

Member Taras I'm Not Hating, I'm Just Sayin'

United States
    I assume your using built-in PS1 emulation rather than an emulator. What do you do when it prompts you to switch discs (like FF7)?

thx

5. VVoltz

Member VVoltz The Pirate Lord

Bolivia
    Yup, the official one, the emulator is currently not so advanced.

About multi disc games, as long as you are prompted to save the game and change the disk is no problem, just load the second disc's ISO and load the save game. The key is to code the disks of the same game with the same SLUS code.

6. Taras

United States

Thanks!

Ripping my old Chrono Cross discs now...

7. Jiggah

Member Jiggah GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    You need to use 3.40 or 3.52 pops with Chrono Cross and you need to modify the ID so it doesn't freeze.

8. Taras

United States
    Thanks.

9. Lodis

Member Lodis GBAtemp Regular

United States
    For GBA emulation on the Slim I recommend the Hen D compiled version of gpSP 0.9 and for Snes emulation I recommend Snes TYL 0.42 ME the Chilly Willy Port. He is also working on another Snes port which will be alot faster.

10. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    the only thing i would be interested in is n64 emulation but from what i am reading here, it's not very good :S

11. Lodis

Member Lodis GBAtemp Regular

United States

N64 emulation on the Psp isn't very good although Mario 64 runs quite well in some areas. Alot of improvements have been made to N64 on the Psp but it will be a very long wait before you see anything great. Super Smash Brothers runs pretty well with sound disabled though. Once sound has been moved over to the Media Engine it should no longer slow down games. Check here for updates http://strmnnrmn.blogspot.com/