Some questions about College.

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Sheimi, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Sheimi
    OP

Sheimi A cute Vixen!

Oct 22, 2009
    United States
    Maybe you guys could give me some advice or point me in the right direction. I want to apply for a University in Connecticut But, I am not sure about a few things. Back in 2012, I basically failed all my classes when I went to a Community College. Would I be barred from getting assistance? Would I just be flat out denied? (I do not have a job to even help me get two - 3 classes where I am). I don't know what to do.

2. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    It sort of depends on the school really. In this case, it would probably be best to meet with some sort of academic adviser to see what they would say.

3. Guild McCommunist

Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

May 6, 2009
    United States
    The Danger Zone
    For your current situation your best bet is to stick to community college for now. Pull your grades up, get a good GPA, and apply for transfer. This way you can do two things, 1) better your current education situation and 2) kill a bunch of prerequisite classes and still get a 4-year degree. If you do it right you can come out of community college with a 2-year degree already (which will surely help you get better job while you're in a university) and pay about half as much as you would going to a 4 year school. Like instead of $80,000 in debt for college you may have like... $40,000. Not counting grants and scholarships which are good to apply for.

4. calmwaters

calmwaters Cat's best friend

May 27, 2013
    United States
    happy land
    Yeah, I would get the 2 year degree first and then hit the big school.

5. sandytf

sandytf GBAtemp Regular

May 5, 2013
    United States
    Find a program or subject that you are really excited about and talk with an academic advisor. Develop a plan to not only get you into your desired program, but also to make you excel at your studies. Do not worry about the name of the school or even how it looks on your resume. What really matters is the quality of the education. After a couple of years in industry, work experience and on the job performance far outweigh the name of the school listed on your resume (at least in the technology and engineering fields).