ROM Hack Some questions about certain 3DS music files

Ruiji

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Been dumping games to rip music recently and I've been having trouble with a couple:

1. Mario Golf: World Tour does use .bcstms, but they're not normal .bcstms. They appear to be some variant by Camelot, since apparently Mario Tennis Open uses the same type as well. If you delete the first four bytes with a hex editor, they'll play like normal .bcstms but they sound awful. What could I do to convert/fix them?

2. Mario & Luigi: Dream Team's music is in an .arc file and I haven't found anything that can open it yet. I've also heard it may use a wonky format, but I'm trying to figure out the .arc first.

3. More generally, how can I put sequenced music together? Most games use just streams, but a couple do have a couple sequences with their streams and I would like to have all the music if possible. I think I found the bits that make up the sequences, but I don't know how to sequence them together.

If need be, I can upload examples of World Tour's stuff/Dream Team's sound .arc, but I'm hoping it won't be too hard to figure out.

CHICAGO-lollie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It's possible that those .arc files are archives. I just stumbled across yellows8's "darctool", it mentions this extension. https://github.com/yellows8/darctool

Also putting in a vote of interest for figuring out sequences. I noticed that Badge Arcade uses a mix of streams and .cseq files for its music (streams for the title and menus, sequences for the actual badge games), but one sequence in particular is used to handle the salesman's voice — hex editor reveals variables for setting the speech type and pitchbend, plus the name of every different kind of speech pattern.

Thelostrune

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
1. Mario Golf: World Tour does use .bcstms, but they're not normal .bcstms. They appear to be some variant by Camelot, since apparently Mario Tennis Open uses the same type as well. If you delete the first four bytes with a hex editor, they'll play like normal .bcstms but they sound awful. What could I do to convert/fix them?

Maybe they're compressed/packed or something, I have no idea. You could upload one here for people to check at.

2. Mario & Luigi: Dream Team's music is in an .arc file and I haven't found anything that can open it yet. I've also heard it may use a wonky format, but I'm trying to figure out the .arc first.

Upload that and I'll take a look at it. Could be a sound archive.

3. More generally, how can I put sequenced music together? Most games use just streams, but a couple do have a couple sequences with their streams and I would like to have all the music if possible. I think I found the bits that make up the sequences, but I don't know how to sequence them together.

At the moment we can't do anything about CTR sequences, as far as I know anyway.

but one sequence in particular is used to handle the salesman's voice — hex editor reveals variables for setting the speech type and pitchbend, plus the name of every different kind of speech pattern.

This is true for Animal Crossing New Leaf as well. Took a look at the K.K. radio songs and exactly what you said is a thing there as well.

Last edited by Thelostrune,
Reactions: CHICAGO-lollie

Ruiji

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's a World Tour bcstm and here's the SoundData.arc for Dream Team. I did try to use some tools that open other 3DS game .arcs on it, but no success so far.

Thelostrune

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
This is why I shouldn't post at 4 in the morning. This should be the SoundData.arc, sorry about that.
Seems like some kind of compressed / differently packed CSAR or SARC. I can't figure out what's up with this.

Can't figure out the stream file either.

Last edited by Thelostrune,

Ruiji

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I managed to figure out Dream Team's arc out, but I'm still stumped on World Tour's bcstms. I'm not sure why it sounds so awful after making it playable, but I'm really hoping to figure it out.

reddit123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I managed to figure out Dream Team's arc out, but I'm still stumped on World Tour's bcstms. I'm not sure why it sounds so awful after making it playable, but I'm really hoping to figure it out.
Can you explain how? I'm trying to get Dream Team's audio files

Reactions: FlappyFalco

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Well I believe I'm about to get hit with a spring sinus infuction
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well I believe I'm about to get hit with a spring sinus infuction