Hacking Homebrew Some PSP games are not working

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I have a PSP with CFW 3.71 M33-4 and I've "obtained" a few games for it.
For some reason, no matter what format/compression I put it on my memory stick, the game just doesn't work.
When I compress them into cso's on both the lowest and highest compression values on UMDgen 4 or if I just leave them as iso's, they just wont run.

The games which are causing this problem are :
NFS: Carbon
MGS : Portable Ops +
Ratchet and Clank : Size Matters

The last one just shows up as corrupted on the memory stick.
Could I have just downloaded bad copies or did I do something wrong?

Also, I notice that whenever I open up MGS, the image is only 800 MB~ and there are no padding/dummy files but the actual iso is 1.16 GB...

Thanks for any replies.

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Gonna say this again and again. Use the Sony one (Sony NP9660). I don't know why people bother with the other ones. They are only useful for third party apps, i.e. displaying it on your monitor type deals. It can be changed by pushing the Select button.

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Its working now but I have one last question...
What files are safe to delete in a UMD?
I only have a 1GB memstick and some games are too large, even when compressed as CSO's and theres a few games I really want to play.
One of these games is MGS : PO+ and I went and deleted the Update folder and 2 from the oss folder(which I assumed was for soundtracks).
Is that going to be a problem?

And finally, I notice that this PSP tends to freeze a lot. Whenever playing games or in the XMB it just randomly freezes and wont start back up.
Is it something to do with the PSP or the memorycard?

Thanks.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
maybe it's the firmware you installed? did you have this problem prior to installing the latest version 4 firmware? is this a common problem? maybe try searching google and see what comes up?

MC DUI

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Its working now but I have one last question...
What files are safe to delete in a UMD?
I only have a 1GB memstick and some games are too large, even when compressed as CSO's and theres a few games I really want to play.
One of these games is MGS : PO+ and I went and deleted the Update folder and 2 from the oss folder(which I assumed was for soundtracks).
Is that going to be a problem?

And finally, I notice that this PSP tends to freeze a lot. Whenever playing games or in the XMB it just randomly freezes and wont start back up.
Is it something to do with the PSP or the memorycard?

Thanks.

The best things to delete are probably videos and soundtracks as they take up the most space.

My PSP with 3.40OE-A never freezes and I'm using a fake 2GB Sony ProDuo memory stick.
I would try to install the custom firmware again.

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yup, reinstalling would be the best bet. I had a friend who tried to flash his own PSP and ended up doing something weird to it. The XMB would crawl instead of being smooth, a quick reflash fixed it.

ganons

Trophies
XP
Country
also sometimes u have to relink the files that u delete or it wont work, deleting update folders is safe. try umdgen 4.0

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Yup, reinstalling would be the best bet. I had a friend who tried to flash his own PSP and ended up doing something weird to it. The XMB would crawl instead of being smooth, a quick reflash fixed it.

How do I do that?
I tried running the Update but it says that I don't need it.

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Do it from Pandora. To install a Pandora that can do this easily, get UPMS and put it in your ISO folder, put the 1.50 Sony update and the 3.71 Sony update on the root of your card (named 150.PBP and 371.PBP) and run the ISO.

I dont follow, All I do is run the ISO and everything takes care of itself?
What about returning the battery to normal?

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
OP
Trophies
XP
Country

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
You're right, its a fake memorystick.
I never knew games were dependant on the type of memory though...

i see, the only thing you can do now is to buy from your local game shop a genuine memory stick, it may cost a lot more but you will know it will be 100% genuine, when my psp slim arrives straight away i will be testing mine to see if it's fake too.

and yes it effects it because the fake ones have compressed file structure in them to make them bigger than they should be, so a seller sells a fake memory stick as say 2gb but it's really should be 1gb and so on, there are decent fake memory sticks out there that have just slower speeds than the real ones though.

i think what i have said is all covered in that ebay guide.

hollabackitsobi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fake memory stick is what I instantly thought when I heard the symptoms of your problem. Corrupted data is VERY common, and I suggest buying a good Sandisk, their Ultra II line is GREAT for gaming, and reduces load times and power consumption very noticeably, I'd recommend the 4GB.

And another thing when you speak of XMB sluggishness, is that your processor speed might be slow. If it takes a while to boot up games, and you notice that when you DO boot them up, the little splash screen with the PSP logo and the flowery colors echoes the noise it makes, this could very well mean you accidently set your processor speed too low.

I'm on 3.52 M33-4 and the way to remedy this is to press "Home" while on the XMB, until it brings up a "VSHMenu" where you can change the Ingame and XMB processor speeds. IIRC in later versions this was removed, so you'd have to turn your PSP FULLY off, and then HOLD R while you're turning it on to go into recovery mode. From there just move around until you see where you can change the processor speeds.

The default for the PSP is 222/111 (that's CPU/bus speed), I'd set it to 222/111 in the XMB and 333/whatever for games, as that will minimize loading times and lag during gameplay in games like GTA, and is required for games like Syphon Filter Logan's Shadow and the new God of War. It increases battery drain, though.

If this doesn't fix your problems, post back with a more detailed descrption of your symptoms, or just downgrade using Pandora to 1.50 then upgrade to 3.52 M33 and then go to 3.52 M33-4, as that's been very stable for me. It could just be a bug in 3.71 M33

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte