Hacking Question Some newbie questions, I have searched.

Dt123

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have done some research buit couldn't verify or find the answers to the questions below easily.
I'm on Firmware 5.1 . I want to install the pokemon patches and make it so i don't have to insert my cartridges every time I want to switch games, so I think my firmware is fine for that(upgrading seems like a hassle), I don't really play online so I can just turn off wifi and not risk getting banned right?

So it seems people are recommending Kosmos as the easiest way to 'hack' the switch, but for my uses would following this guide:

https://switchguide.xyz/sdcard.html

and installing these patches:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/i-heard-that-you-guys-need-some-sweet-patches-for-atmosphere.521164/

Be enough?

The reason I don't want to use Kosmos is because I don't understand what it does and if I want to update Atmosphere in the future I don't want anything it has applied to affect this. In addition, I'm not sure as to how safe it is? I'd rather do everything manually myself that way at least I understand what's happening on my switch, but if it's been verified by the community that's fine.

Also, before I do anything I should use hekate(I think?) to backup my nand ?

Finally, back when the switch was first getting hacked AutoRCM had various issues with the battery among other things, is it completely safe to use now(I know everybody is using it, but just want to make sure there's no downsides)? I will be powering down my switch whenever it's not being played since the battery life still drops in sleep mode.

Last edited by Dt123,

shchmue

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that'll work. there's no unremovable CFW though; none of it is persistent, it all loads from SD. Kosmos would work fine. a you ever have to do to change or update CFW is replace the files on SD.

hekate to backup, yes. backup raw emmc and boot0/1 in the same session.

with AutoRCM enabled if you intend to turn it off, reboot to RCM and power off via Hekate. it does a more complete shutdown than the OS power menu. with AutoRCM enabled and a regular power off, the Switch will turn itself back on and you can't tell because RCM doesn't engage the backlight.

Last edited by shchmue,
Reactions: Dt123

Dt123

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that'll work. there's no unremovable CFW though; none of it is persistent, it all loads from SD. Kosmos would work fine. a you ever have to do to change or update CFW is replace the files on SD.

hekate to backup, yes. backup raw emmc and boot0/1 in the same session.

with AutoRCM enabled if you intend to turn it off, reboot to RCM and power off via Hekate. it does a more complete shutdown than the OS power menu. with AutoRCM enabled and a regular power off, the Switch will turn itself back on and you can't tell because RCM doesn't engage the backlight.

Ok, so I read up some more on the benefits and disadvantages of autorcm. IF i understood it correctly, I won't be able to boot into the switch without injecting the payload if i have autorcm?
My siblings rarely (once a month) play on the switch with my carts so I'd like to avoid that if possible, does booting into ofw affect cfw at all?
I don't have wifi enabled so I don't think it'll affect any data being sent to Nintendo.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over