PS1/2 Some High Toc PS1 games?

user1690

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey guys!

So i have learnt that although my Smart Cartridge on my PS1 is great, unfortunately it doesn't do what a internal mod chip would and thats being able to boot backup disks without swapping. So im stuck with whatever TOC information was on the original disk before the swap.

I simply wish to know some high toc based PS1 games with lots of audio/data? Because some games i've ran boot perfectly, but the audio is messed up or missing altogether, and the research indicated its because the original disk i used before the swap didnt have as much audio/data as the backup im booting, therefore resulting in problems.

Heres some games that i THINK have alot of data/audio, and that would be suitable to boot backup disks with the same, or more audio/data. Could anyone confirm if im correct on these?

DOOM
Tomb Raider III
The entire Final Fantasy set of games for the PS1

Any info is appreciated.
smile.gif

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Tomb Raider 1 as the most Audio track I think.
(I don't remember Tomb Raider 3 though).

Do you have to swap after some time ?
It's a special device to read TOC then swap disc?

My PS1 is a first day (SCPH100x) and I can swap without any device.
I only need to swap between disc checking and Toc reading.
boot -> disc checking if it's a PS1 disc -> Read toc -> Show PS logo in white background -> another PS logo in black background (disc spin is slower, often users swap here but it's bad) -> Boot game
The TOC is read before the very first Logo. (the one showing even if you don't place a disc in drive), so you need a very good timing to swap it at the Red arrow. (it's a very short time range).

But if you need a device to swap, I guess you really need a big TOC game.

user1690

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cyan said:
Tomb Raider 1 as the most Audio track I think.
(I don't remember Tomb Raider 3 though).

Do you have to swap after some time ?
It's a special device to read TOC then swap disc?

My PS1 is a first day (SCPH100x) and I can swap without any device.
I only need to swap between disc checking and Toc reading.
boot -> disc checking if it's a PS1 disc -> Read toc -> Show PS logo in white background -> another PS logo in black background (disc spin is slower, often users swap here but it's bad) -> Boot game
The TOC is read before the very first Logo. (the one showing even if you don't place a disc in drive), so you need a very good timing to swap it at the Red arrow. (it's a very short time range).

But if you need a device to swap, I guess you really need a big TOC game.

Yeah i use a Smart Cartridge to boot my backups and it works like this:

Insert a authentic PS1 game
Turn on PS1 - Cartridge is booted.
Original disk stops spinning
Insert backup
Press START - Backup is booted.

So yes, i need a big TOC game, i've tried searching for lists of high TOC PS1 games, but i can only find lists of high TOC PS2 games.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I don't know if you need only information on the maximum number of tracks (in that case Tomb Raider 1 is fine for most games, with 40 tracks), or if the length of the first Data track is also important.

What is the SCPH number of your console?
If it's SCPH100x, did you ever try swapping on the Audio player?
it works like your device : go to audio player, place a retail PS1 disc and block lid with scotch tape, wait until the disc stop spinning, swap disc, exit the player.

user1690

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cyan said:
I don't know if you need only information on the maximum number of tracks (in that case Tomb Raider 1 is fine for most games, with 40 tracks), or if the length of the first Data track is also important.

If it's SCPH1001, did you ever try swapping on the Audio player?
it works like your device : go to audio player, place a retail PS1 disc and block lid with scotch tape, wait until the disc stop spinning, swap disc, exit the player.

I've got a SCPH7502 console so the audio player trick doesnt work.

Also, i think i simply need a disk with alot of tracks in order to boot a backup with a lot of tracks.

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That goes back like 15 years ago, so my memory is a little vague, but I recall an early game, Mortal Kombat 3, having a huge number of audio tracks, like 90 or so. But this method of booting backups was never so great, imho. If you can still find internal modchips for the old PSX, this should be your goal. They were pretty easy to install, too. I installed them on my 7001 and 9001 models. Even the old 1001 launch model, but this one died several years ago.

user1690

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Dust2dust said:
That goes back like 15 years ago, so my memory is a little vague, but I recall an early game, Mortal Kombat 3, having a huge number of audio tracks, like 90 or so. But this method of booting backups was never so great, imho. If you can still find internal modchips for the old PSX, this should be your goal. They were pretty easy to install, too. I installed them on my 7001 and 9001 models. Even the old 1001 launch model, but this one died several years ago.

Yes i have thought of this too, i may do so sometime in the near future, but for now im sticking with the swap method with my Smart Cartridge
tongue.gif

wolffangalchemist

This is bat country!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cyan said:

If it's SCPH100x, did you ever try swapping on the Audio player?
this doesn't work on all 100X consoles only the early ones, after a certain uXXXXXX number on the bottom of the 100x series they updated the bios to block it.
my number is U7520894 and it doesn't work on it because the new bios, i have a parallel port game shark pro though so i can swap disc at leisure on that model.
@ user1690 if you can get a copy of Legend of Dragoon, that games has a high TOC, when burning the 4th disc i believe it was you have to turn on over burn because the ISO is bigger than 700mb.
it's what i use my 1st and 2nd LoD disc's don't work anymore so i just use the 4th disc to swap out burned copies with my GS pro.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
wolffangalchemist said:
this doesn't work on all 100X consoles only the early ones, after a certain uXXXXXX number on the bottom of the 100x series they updated the bios to block it.
Yes, I remember that they changed that without changing the SCPH number.
I explained a lot to other peoples how to do it, until it didn't work for someone while everything seemed correct.
But we hadn't internet back then to ask GBAtemp what was wrong, it was all test and fail.
wink.gif

morphius

The King of the Cosmos
Trophies
Website
pachimod.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
wow its been a LONG time since i messed with PSX consoles. I do however know a bit about swapping and tocs. When the original disc is spun up the PSX reads the TOC. This includes how many total tracks AND their size/length. So if your original disc had a data track of 300mb and 3 audio tracks that were exactly 4:00 minutes in length as long as the game you are trying to swap to has a data length of under 300mb and no more than 3 audio tracks of 4:00 minutes each you are fine. If the disc you swapped to has a data track of 320mb the last 20mb of that data can not be read. Depending on what data is located there , it can cause a complete crash or possibly just some glitching. As for audio, if the disc you are switching to has 5 audio tracks the first 3 would be accessible the last 2 would not. It should not cause a crash , but will just have no bg music. when those tracks are to be played.

user1690

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
morphius said:
wow its been a LONG time since i messed with PSX consoles. I do however know a bit about swapping and tocs. When the original disc is spun up the PSX reads the TOC. This includes how many total tracks AND their size/length. So if your original disc had a data track of 300mb and 3 audio tracks that were exactly 4:00 minutes in length as long as the game you are trying to swap to has a data length of under 300mb and no more than 3 audio tracks of 4:00 minutes each you are fine. If the disc you swapped to has a data track of 320mb the last 20mb of that data can not be read. Depending on what data is located there , it can cause a complete crash or possibly just some glitching. As for audio, if the disc you are switching to has 5 audio tracks the first 3 would be accessible the last 2 would not. It should not cause a crash , but will just have no bg music. when those tracks are to be played.

Yes i realized this, unfortunately a few games i have tried do not work with the game im swapping, apparently Tomb Raider 1 was supposed to have alot of audio data (40 or so tracks?) so i bought it and tried swapping it with the game i wanted to play (Ninja - Shadow Of Darkness) but i experienced the same symptoms of no BG music, so either the PS1 backup i want to play has more than 40 tracks, or im missing something entirely. I also tried swapping other original games with the backup, games such as DOOM, etc... Still, no dice.

morphius

The King of the Cosmos
Trophies
Website
pachimod.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
so you bought a psx game to play a backup of another?

anyways, getting a better picture of the iso would help you immensely. A program i used to use was isobuster(used to be freeware, not sure of its current state) and you can find out the data length and number/length of audio tracks.

another problem you MIGHT be having is that that BG music may not be an audio track, but rather data in the data track....outside of the data length of the original TOC. Or possibly you downloaded a rip that doesn't include the audio tracks.

user1690

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
morphius said:
so you bought a psx game to play a backup of another?

anyways, getting a better picture of the iso would help you immensely. A program i used to use was isobuster(used to be freeware, not sure of its current state) and you can find out the data length and number/length of audio tracks.

another problem you MIGHT be having is that that BG music may not be an audio track, but rather data in the data track....outside of the data length of the original TOC. Or possibly you downloaded a rip that doesn't include the audio tracks.

Yeah since i own a Smart Cartridge and not a mod chip, i still need to do the ol' swap trick, only its a little safer. I get an original disk, load up the cartridge, original disk stops spinning and then i load in a backup. Has worked for most games except those that have alot of audio tracks. Ninja - Shadow Of Darkness i believe has 20 or so audio tracks so the Tomb Raider 1 disk i bought should have worked so im thinking you may be right?

user1690

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
morphius said:
what i was getting at was....you bought a game to pirate a game??? you can get a used copy of ninja for nothing on ebay
No, that is not my intention, i own the games i backup, only, they are damaged and i dont really want to screw with the lens. Whether you believe that or not...is your choice, since i've seen places where such responses are disbelieved.

morphius

The King of the Cosmos
Trophies
Website
pachimod.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
[url=http://forum.redump.org/topic/2048/addedps...ness-sles01554/]http://forum.redump.org/topic/2048/addedps...ness-sles01554/[/url]

BTW ninja has 44 audio tracks

Posts merged

user1690 said:
morphius said:
what i was getting at was....you bought a game to pirate a game??? you can get a used copy of ninja for nothing on ebay
No, that is not my intention, i own the games i backup, only, they are damaged and i dont really want to screw with the lens. Whether you believe that or not...is your choice, since i've seen places where such responses are disbelieved.

ahhh got ya... yes i believe you

user1690

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
morphius said:
[url=http://forum.redump.org/topic/2048/addedps...ness-sles01554/]http://forum.redump.org/topic/2048/addedps...ness-sles01554/[/url]

Posts merged

user1690 said:
morphius said:

Will probably explain why Tomb Raider hasnt helped in getting the game to work. So, any games with 44 or more audio tracks? I guess if i get a game with that amount, or higher, i wont have to worry about other backups i do with similair/same amounts.

morphius

The King of the Cosmos
Trophies
Website
pachimod.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
user1690 said:
morphius said:

Posts merged

user1690 said:
morphius said:

Will probably explain why Tomb Raider hasnt helped in getting the game to work. So, any games with 44 or more audio tracks? I guess if i get a game with that amount, or higher, i wont have to worry about other backups i do with similair/same amounts.

will help with audio... still stuck with an initial data track length of 50291 sectors.
you have a NTSC or PAL psx?

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
user1690 said:

But then, if you own the original retail game, the solution is so easy. You just swap using your original. Boot with your original game, swap with your copy, and play. They have exactly the same TOC, so the copy will play perfectly.

user1690

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Dust2dust said:
user1690 said:

But then, if you own the original retail game, the solution is so easy. You just swap using your original. Boot with your original game, swap with your copy, and play. They have exactly the same TOC, so the copy will play perfectly.

Yes, that would be a good solution wouldnt it? But i should have specified, by damaged i meant the games are completely unreadable. (When in a PS1 the disk spins as if i put in a CDRW, very slow spin, then stop) I admit a while back i was careless with my games, left them out of cases on the floor, etc...

Your solution does seem viable but the disks, as i said are completely unreadable and even though a swap means the original is in there for like 10seconds, in the long run that can have a bad effect on the laser lens.

Edit: @morphius
Completely missed your post, i have a PAL PS1 Console.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: i always pee in the water