Some games not quite full screen?

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by markmcrobie, Feb 27, 2010.

Feb 27, 2010
  1. markmcrobie
    OP

Member markmcrobie GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I use the latest USB Loader GX, and everything is great except some games seem to be just less than full screen - I can tell as soon as the white safety screen appears, some of them are full screen, some have very small black border left/right, some top/bottom, and some both.

I tried changing the screen settings for the game in GX (AutoPatch, Force PAL50, PAL60, etc), to no avail.

I'm in the UK using a PAL Wii connected to a 32" LCD via component cable.

Cheers

2. berlinka

Member berlinka You have sustained a lethal injury.

Netherlands
    A lot of games simply don't have full Fullscreen.
    It's one of nature's mysteries (well actually a very crappy Nintendo-like mystery).
    I guess the fact that Nintendo doesn't support HD, makes developers think thay can also get away with 3:4 screen ratios, because the graphics are not important AT ALL.

3. markmcrobie
    OP

Member markmcrobie GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I take your point, but the games i've got that exhibit this problem are nowhere near as bad as 4:3, the black bars are quite thin.

Also some of them have black bars top, bottom, left & right, all the same thickness, which means the ratio is still 16:9, just smaller.

Weird.

4. davidsl_128

Member davidsl_128 GBAtemp Brightsider

Colombia
    Yeah I hate it when that happens, makes me feel buying a widescreen tv wasn't a good idea lol

5. dsfanatic5

Member dsfanatic5 Team ICO Freak

United States
    Your issue is common across the board. It's as if some games can morph to "almost" widescreen, leaving thin black bars on the sides. Look at Resident Evil: Archives (first one), and you'll get huge black bars during gameplay, since it's tru 4:3. Then when you check out RE Archives: RE: Zero (second game), it has the thin bars.

Every time I check out a high-profile game for the first time, I think to myself "This better have true widescreen support." When a game has the bars, it just feels like the developers cut corners, or simply don't care.

6. giantpune

Member giantpune GBAtemp Addict

United States
    i can see why they're cutting corners. there is nothing keeping people from downloading and playing wii games for free. and also theres the whole thing where video game makers use the great graphics and online play to upsell their newest games. theres only so much you can do with the wii as far as games go, and most of it has already been done. if i were in their position, i wouldnt put too much effort into wii games either. its either...

"lets work really hard to make this kick-ass game in stunning 480p with crappy online support just so people can download it and play it for free."

or...

"lets spend our time making games which can push out HD video to go with all the HDTVs people are buying and have great multiplayer online features. and in our spare time we can throw together another crappy wii game and maybe a few people will actually pay for it."

7. dsfanatic5

Member dsfanatic5 Team ICO Freak

United States
    Yet you must be surprised when a crap game fills your widescreen completely, and a high profile game doesn't. It all comes down do priorities, and how they're inconsistant at best. You have a great point though, since it's hard to complain when everyone "HERE" are playing these games free of cost. However, I try to imagine those who actually pay for these games, and credit their genuine complaints. That's the difference between exchanging opinions on the gbatemp forums, and those on heavily moderated forums such as gamespot. Some pay, some don't, and I know that the opinion between the two differs significantly.

8. imapterodactyl

Member imapterodactyl GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Some televisions will display some games with black bars, and others won't; it just comes down to your model of television. We've got 2 LCDs in the house, and one of them (the Philips) displays EVERY game to the very edge of the screen (excluding wiiware games that are designed to run in 4/3) in full 16/9, while the other (an Olevia) will display some in full screen (the TRUE 480p 16/9 games), but others it doesn't manage to fully stretch, leaving a black border around the horizontal edges of up to 1.5".