Some cfw titles disappeared from homescreen.

Jsmoothie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alt title: 0 Blocks on SD Card?

I was trying to download Majora’s Mask 3D from hshop but lacked the space to do so. So I went to my file manager and was looking for files/folders to temporarily move from my SD card to my desktop and stupidly decided to move my Nintendo 3DS and private folders. I copied the folders to my desktop, but sometimes during the process, the copying would stop because some files in both folders couldn’t be moved for some reason so I skipped them and after I was done I turned on my 3DS and Immediately noticed my custom theme was gone and so were all of my VC and CFW titles and all my badges. The only titles that remained were my DSiware titles like TWLight menu++, pictochat, and the ones I got from hshop. And I also noticed that when I was in the homescreen, system settings and themes, a prompt would should up saying “Creating new [Homescreen, Save Data or Themes] data.” or something like that. And when I went to save manager in system settings, I noticed all my data and titles were gone and all my blocks were apparently gone which wasn’t right. But when I went back to file manager or Godmode9 or Activity Log, all my titles and data were all still there but I guess couldn’t be read or something and save data for my game cards were also still there including my OOT3D Randomizer save file. Someone please help.

Edit: I've tried using faketik and it just says theres no tickets or something similar,

Last edited by Jsmoothie,

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So I went to my file manager and was looking for files/folders to temporarily move from my SD card to my desktop and stupidly decided to move my Nintendo 3DS and private folders. I copied the folders to my desktop, but sometimes during the process, the copying would stop because some files in both folders couldn’t be moved for some reason so I skipped them and after I was done I turned on my 3DS and Immediately noticed my custom theme was gone and so were all of my VC and CFW titles and all my badges.
This isn't clear. Did you actually delete anything on your SD card, or did you only try to copy files off of your SD card without deleting them afterwards?

Because if you randomly deleted a bunch of files from your Nintendo 3DS folder, then why wouldn't you expect a lot of things to go missing? (This is why I always recommend Roadkil's Unstoppable Copier, but it's a bit late for that now.) You might be able to recover the files with standard PC file recovery software, but if you've already been writing new data to the SD card after the files were deleted, it might already be too late.

Also I've never heard of "3dsrecovery or whatever it's called" before. (It kind of helps to be precise when you're asking for help.)

Jsmoothie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This isn't clear. Did you actually delete anything on your SD card, or did you only try to copy files off of your SD card without deleting them afterwards?

Because if you randomly deleted a bunch of files from your Nintendo 3DS folder, then why wouldn't you expect a lot of things to go missing? (This is why I always recommend Roadkil's Unstoppable Copier, but it's a bit late for that now.) You might be able to recover the files with standard PC file recovery software, but if you've already been writing new data to the SD card after the files were deleted, it might already be too late.

Also I've never heard of "3dsrecovery or whatever it's called" before. (It kind of helps to be precise when you're asking for help.)
Thanks for the reply! No I didn't delete anything from my SD Card, I simply copied and pasted the folders to my desktop (bcuz I'm stupid and didn't want to delete games from system settings ig idk). I did see a thread on a different problem that someone else was having that said to use Roadkil's Unstoppable Copier and h2testw to copy all the files and to test the SD card, so I decided to do that too (I was able to copy all the files and folders from my SD card but when I tried testing the SD with h2testw it just says there's 0 bytes, and it also says this in system settings > save management). I checked and it's actually just called '3DS Tool' and that's what I meant by 3dsrecovery. btw I have a 4gb SD card that I've been using on my o3DS XL for years.

Jsmoothie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used Roadkil's Unstoppable Copier while I was looking for a solution for my problem, so i guess it actually might be too late :/

CoolMe

That's the way she goes..
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You copied the Nintendo 3DS folder to your pc, then what? I think that folder got deleted during whatever you did after copying. Which explains the below.
And I also noticed that when I was in the homescreen, system settings and themes, a prompt would should up saying “Creating new [Homescreen, Save Data or Themes] data.” or something like that.
Well that happens when there's no Nintendo 3DS folder on your sd card, so it starts creating a new one instead when the sd card is inserted.
Do you still have that folder you copied to your pc? You might want to copy it back to the sd card and try again.
And when I went to save data, backup data, DLC, extra data,I noticed all my data and titles were gone and
Same.
You're using a 4GB sd card? You need to get a new sd card.

Jsmoothie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You copied the Nintendo 3DS folder to your pc, then what? I think that folder got deleted during whatever you did after copying. Which explains the below.

Well that happens when there's no Nintendo 3DS folder on your sd card, so it starts creating a new one instead when the sd card is inserted.
Do you still have that folder you copied to your pc? You might want to copy it back to the sd card and try again.

Same.
You're using a 4GB sd card? You need to get a new sd card.
Then I ended up copying the Nintendo 3DS and Private folders again, and then I merged them and moved them back. When I started noticing all the weird stuff going on that's when I went to godmode9 to fix it. I created a new folder called 'N3DS' and I tried to separate the private and Nintendo 3DS folders, I then put the Nintendo 3DS folder in N3DS and left the Private folder on its own on the root of the SD card, that didn't work. I think I also might have used a private folder from my other 2gb SD card from my red o3DS on accident. So I went back again and deleted the N3DS folder and moved the Nintendo 3DS folder back to... the Nintendo 3DS folder(?) (maybe it was the one I merged or smth), along with a folder called '4009f40f00fcc238ee9355e189aefd7a'. The Nintendo 3DS folder in the folder of the same name contains... the folder with the same name as the 4009 one, and it has a folder called '4c3000e74707b405534530340002544d' that contains 3 folders called 'dbs', 'extdata', and 'title', and a folder with the same name as the 4009 one again and extdata, and THEN in the 4009 folder in the 4c3000 folder contains another 4c3000 and '9c2c00ba4783a044534430320002544d' the latter of which contains 3 more folders called 'dbs', 'extdata', and 'title' again. The 4c3000 one contains 3 folders that have the same names as the ones I just mentioned plus one called 'backup' which I think has all the title IDs and saves for them I THINK. btw sorry if all of that was confusing.

I've had this o3DS XL for almost more than 6 years since 2015 and only recently in 2020 and 2021 did I finally decide to mod it. But to be honest, my patience for this is wearing thin and I kinda just want to give up and get a new 2ds since my o3DS XL doesn't have much of importance, that and I want to get a new bigger sd card. The problem is that I'm dead broke and can't buy either. Guess I'll just save up until then. But I'll continue trying to solve this problem anyway. Thanks for your help btw I appreciate it :)

Jsmoothie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I forgot to mention, I also TRIED to delete the Nintendo 3DS folder after it was done being copied but it didn't work i think. Either that or it was deleted and just created a new folder right after I clicked the delete button if that's even possible. AND I also mentioned that all my blocks were gone and at 0 (which prevented me from testing it with h2testw) so I don't know what that's about. I still have my copies of the Nintendo 3DS and Private folders on my desktop but I don't think I have enough space to replace the ones I have on my SD card. Ya' know, considering the 0 blocks thing? also my SD card is formatted to fat32 already.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I simply copied and pasted the folders to my desktop
But you wrote:
and was looking for files/folders to temporarily move from my SD card
Did you copy and paste, or did you cut and paste? (Were you planning to delete the files after copying?)

AND I also mentioned that all my blocks were gone and at 0 (which prevented me from testing it with h2testw) so I don't know what that's about.
This is all getting increasingly confusing. h2testw doesn't have anything to do with "blocks".

But to be honest, my patience for this is wearing thin and I kinda just want to give up and get a new 2ds
Why? There's nothing wrong with your current unit except for the SD card, and you don't need to buy a whole new unit just to use a new SD card. Also new SD cards (even large ones) are generally quite cheap these days.

Last edited by Kwyjor,

Jsmoothie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But you wrote:
Did you copy and paste, or did you cut and paste? (Were you planning to delete the files after copying?)
copy and paste, also yeah i was planning to delete the Nintendo 3DS folder (for some reason) but it didn't work the file wouldn't delete, but I think that's probly because it was being deleted but a new folder was being created automatically and immediately after I clicked the delete button.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think that's probly because it was being deleted but a new folder was being created automatically and immediately after I clicked the delete button
Were you deleting this on your PC, or on your 3DS? There is no reason a PC should automatically create a new folder after deleting an old one, so I don't know why you would think that.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
SD cards can sometimes become read-only when they are about to fail. You can test if this is the case with your SD card currently just by attempting to copy any small file from your PC to your SD card. If that does not work then there is no point in doing anything else with your SD card except making sure that the data is backed up.

Jsmoothie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SD cards can sometimes become read-only when they are about to fail. You can test if this is the case with your SD card currently just by attempting to copy any small file from your PC to your SD card. If that does not work then there is no point in doing anything else with your SD card except making sure that the data is backed up.
I see. I moved a 15kb word doc to my sd card and... it worked. (i deleted some different unneeded folders so i could get 500 more kb.)

Jsmoothie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is all getting increasingly confusing. h2testw doesn't have anything to do with "blocks".
I meant "MBytes or Bytes"

Attachments

• Screenshot (3709).png
    Screenshot (3709).png
    86.1 KB · Views: 40
  • Screenshot (3711).png
    Screenshot (3711).png
    89.8 KB · Views: 47

Jsmoothie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why? There's nothing wrong with your current unit except for the SD card, and you don't need to buy a whole new unit just to use a new SD card. Also new SD cards (even large ones) are generally quite cheap these days.
I know but I've been wanting to get a new 2ds for quite a while now to replace my o3DS XL. or if my problem becomes unfixable.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
h2testw is only useful on a completely empty card that has been freshly formatted after everything has been copied off of it. Didn't you read about that in the other threads?

Evidently your card is still functional, at least.

Is there anything in particular you wanted to preserve, aside from your save data? You should be able to manually locate that in the appropriate folders, though it's slightly tricky. (Do NOT do a System Format on your 3DS! That will not solve anything at this point!)

Reactions: CoolMe

Jsmoothie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
h2testw is only useful on a completely empty card that has been freshly formatted after everything has been copied off of it. Didn't you read about that in the other threads?
Oh, I didn't know. Thanks for clearing that up.
Evidently your card is still functional, at least.

Is there anything in particular you wanted to preserve, aside from your save data? You should be able to manually locate that in the appropriate folders, though it's slightly tricky. (Do NOT do a System Format on your 3DS! That will not solve anything at this point!)
I suppose there are my badges, but I don't think those can be located in folders probly (or at least, now they can't). And maybe there's also titles and IDs. I do remember taking alot- I mean ALOT- of pictures on my o3ds xl and even my red o3ds, which were responsible for taking up tons of space on my sd card, but I've already made sure to move those to my laptop those. AND I guess there are the 8 titles I bought for it, six being vc games and 2 being indie games.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
your dsi games showed up because they're on the nand. I guess cartridge saves work since they're on the cartridge. it sounds like it's a mess now. you've got your pictures, so can't you redownload the games from the eshop? I don't know what to do about your badges and saves if you merged two id0's. is that what you did? merge two of those folders inside the Nintendo 3DS folder? they're probably overwritten or one of them is. there's no way to get access to your saves now afaik, because you've created a new Nintendo 3DS folder. they're encrypted on the card, and I know of no way to decrypt them on the pc. if you have checkpoint backups, then you can just reinject them.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I suppose there are my badges, but I don't think those can be located in folders probly (or at least, now they can't).
Are these badges you obtained legitimately through Badge Arcade? If I'm not mistaken, those are tied to your NNID, so it doesn't matter what is on your SD card as far as those are concerned. If they're badges you installed yourself using homebrew, can't you just install them again?

And maybe there's also titles and IDs.
I don't know what you think you're talking about. Software you downloaded from the eShop can be downloaded again; likewise software you installed via FBI.

there's no way to get access to your saves now afaik, because you've created a new Nintendo 3DS folder. they're encrypted on the card, and I know of no way to decrypt them on the pc. if you have checkpoint backups, then you can just reinject them.
The encryption is mostly irrelevant as long as a System Format hasn't been done – creating a new Nintendo 3DS folder isn't going to affect that. It's just a matter of locating the save data in the apporpriate folders and copying it back again after re-installation. (Also Anti Savegame Restore might have to be accounted for in some situations.)

Reactions: godreborn

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/IihvJBjUpNE?si=CsvoEbwzNKFf0GAm cool