Some black screens after turning on the TV when playing PS2

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Lately, I've been having some black screens after turning on the TV when playing PS2. I have audio but no image.

I use a PS2 to HDMI Converter and I connect its HDMI cable to a HDMI switch. I changed the PS2 USB port in which the PS2 to HDMI Converter's USB cable is connected to, changed the PS2 to HDMI Converter's HDMI cable and even the HDMI port of the HDMI switch in which it's connected to but I still have this issue.

What's weird is that if I have this issue and turn off and afterwards on the TV, I stop having this issue (until it returns after the TV is turned on in a future occasion).

Last edited by Windows_10_User,

CoolMe

Old Soul..
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't have a set of composite cables. I tried changing the video settings, but still nothing. The TV is detecting a signal.
Does it show like a green picture or any other color on the tv? I assume if you're using component it means the crt or hdtv you're using has component inputs, right? In that case, it could be something with the cables or the tv input, i would check both..

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does it show like a green picture or any other color on the tv? I assume if you're using component it means the crt or hdtv you're using has component inputs, right? In that case, it could be something with the cables or the tv input, i would check both..
something is definitely wrong with the system. my other ps2 has no issues with the cables, input, or anything.

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal

May my problem be caused by a faulty MC or some system or FCMB configuration?

CoolMe

Old Soul..
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope it's not the TV's or the PS2's fault...

Well, but it only happens with the PS2 and not with the set-top box, PS3, PS TV and PS5...
That's why i told you before to try with composite cables too, and if they don't work either, it's either the ps2's AV port, or the inputs on your tv (hdmi, component, composite)..

CoolMe

Old Soul..
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
something is definitely wrong with the system. my other ps2 has no issues with the cables, input, or anything.
Faulty AV port? Take a look at it with a flashlight and see if there's any bent pins, corrosion etc. And clean it with a dry q-tip/toothpick. If it's still wouldn't work then maybe it needs to be replaced.
May my problem be caused by a faulty MC or some system or FCMB configuration?
No. If there was any problem with the mc or Freemcboot it would still show the image. Again, you can try unpluging the mc and turning it ON?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Faulty AV port? Take a look at it with a flashlight and see if there's any bent pins, corrosion etc. And clean it with a dry q-tip/toothpick. If it's still wouldn't work then maybe it needs to be replaced.

No. If there was any problem with the mc or Freemcboot it would still show the image. Again, you can try unpluging the mc and turning it ON?
I just got it today, so I'm sending it back. Seller claimed it was working.

Reactions: CoolMe

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal

I already did and still had the same issue. The problem is that this is issue is random and so it doesn't happen all the time.

Then i don't know what else to tell you if you can't try the suggestions i've already told you multiple times already..

I can't try in another TV but I ordered Sony component cables.

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
They need to be burned to a DVD, as CDs are not supported by ESR. You need to check a tutorial online on how to patch & make them work correctly.

So, the PS2 component cables arrived and although I don't notice a difference between them and the PS2 to HDMI Converter I'm not having the flickering screen problem and so far the TV is also not having the black screen issue too, although the latter was random and so I guess I should wait some more time.

To get PS1 bought games to work on my HDTV via component cables (just like before with the PS2 to HDMI Converter), I had to follow this (I didn't change offset settings but it still worked) and it looks like I'll have to do it every time I want to play PS1 bought games, which is annoying. What would I do if I didn't have a FMCB MC? Would I have this issue on a modern TV if using component cables together with portta?

EDIT: Weird, now the PS2 isn't reading any discs! Could it be the PS1 disc broke it?

EDIT 2: Weird, I opened the PS2 tray, pulled that thing around the center, cleaned the space between the center and that thing since it had dust and now it's reading the PS1 bought game and the HSP2 bought games but now it does a weird and loud spinning sound when playing the only PS1 bought game I have so I can't test other ones to see if it's the PS2's fault or this game's. I tested this PS1 disc on the PS3 and it also makes a strange noise, but quieter so it may be the disc's fault.

Last edited by Windows_10_User,
General chit-chat
Help Users
    NeoGaming @ NeoGaming: come on