Some basic questions i can't seem to find the answer to.

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Sylar1, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Sylar1
    OP

Member Sylar1 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Ok so i downloaded the ModMii thing, said my Wii's a virgin, picked SSBB as the game, and such. It downloaded all the files, i checked the copy to SD folder and its only like 39 MB, but i think some place on here said that i needed at least 700 MB on my SD card, would a 256 MB work?

Next thing, i see on the ModMii thing that the main loading thing is for a USB loader, but it doesn't say anything about a DVD loader, like burned DVD's, if i install everything from ModMii can i use burned DVD's?

Also, i see there are a lot of Ios i think there are to download once i put the stuff on my Wii. Do i need certain Ios for certain games? Or is it like a firmware where pretty much every game before that firmware will work?

2. JoostinOnline

Member JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

United States

3. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    DVD will work only if your wii is older than mid-2008.
    Newer Wii can't read DVD Iso-9660

If your wii is older, then you can read burned DVD with loaders (USBloaders or GeckoOS).

Booting directly from the Wii menu require that the IOS used by your current system menu version is patched for trucha bug, or you'll have an error on disc insertion.
    Ex. if you are on 4.3, you need a Trucha-patched IOS80 (well, if you resign the partition only, for example to edit the used IOS or patch Error02 etc.).
    Then I think it would also need a way to read DVD using the DVD_Read commands (limited to 3x speed), that's what IOSCORP and DarkCorp was used for.

Just use a Loader to boot burned DVDs instead of installing DarkCorp. Keep your IOS clean.
    And better, dump your DVDs to HDD, it will load even faster than original games which are read at 6x.

And I think Game DVD from another region are not bootable from Wii menu since Wii 4.2 (maybe it was also patched with priiloader?).

Edit : Also why it's a lot better to use an USBloader to boot your game (even from burned DVD) is because it's automatically patching the Antipiracy protections, like Error #001 and #002, BCA patch, ubisoft games, etc.. You don't need to edit the main.dol manually (and in fact the manual method is too old and doesn't work with newer games).

4. XFlak

Member XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Canada
    256 would not work because u need to make a nand backup, and that alone is over 500 MBs

newer wii's cannot play backup discs (ie. burned DVDs). If you wii is capable of playing backup discs, u can download neogamma from ModMii's download page 2, then run it from the homebrew channel. If you're not sure if your wii can play backup discs... easiest way to find out is to try (after following your ModMii guide of couse).

IOSs are used for different things. For example, IOS56 is used for the shopping channel, IOS58 is the preferred IOS for the homebrew channel, IOS80 for 4.3 system menu's etc. Different IOSs r used to play original discs from the disc channel (depending on what IOS the game needs). But loading backups use a cIOS, like cIOS249 for example, and does not use any IOSs. The only exception to this rule is darkcorp, which overwrites all the official IOSs with cIOSs.

5. Sylar1
    OP

United States

Well i have a launch wii so i'm sure it could read burned DVD's.

Wait system menu 4.2 and up can't launch burned DVD"s from other regions? Does that mean actual game DVD's, retail or burned ones, like say a burned copy of The Last Story (E) on my U Wii when it comes out? If its the later then:

SON OF A *****, Well there goes that, Was modding it for when Last Story gets released in Europe, fucking nintendo, **** **** ******* ****** company

6. XFlak

Canada
    usb-loaders can play any region game, and I'm pretty sure u can play backup discs of any region if using neogamma (but maybe not if using darkcorp, which is not recommended anyways). Besides, u can always reinstall 4.1 firmware if u care badly enough anyways

7. Sylar1
    OP

United States
    Oh ok, thats good then.

I was looking over the ModdMii instructions, i know that the Wii can read SDHC cards, but the Moddmii thing says for the Brawl way that i need a regular sd card, SDHC won't work for some reason. Is there a reason for that?

8. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    yes, using a game loader, any region will work, don't worry [​IMG]

Just the "game channel" is not working. but you won't use it if you don't install DarkCorp anyway.

About Brawl, I can check with SDHC if you want.
    Edit: Or what XFlak said after me [​IMG]

9. XFlak

Canada
    while your system menu might support SDHC, the game does not. The game and system menu's run off of different IOSs, IIRC brawl runs on IOS36, and it doesn't have sdhc support.

10. Sylar1
    OP

United States
    Oh ok, at first i thought it might have been game specific but i wasn't sure. Thank you for your help everyone. Now i just gotta buy a 2 GB SD card.