Some 3DS games may not be 3D

The Pi

Lurker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Some developers working on the new 3DS have revealed that games can look and perform much better when the 3D effect is scrapped.

According to a report on IGN (via Kotaku), some of those who are getting to grips with the new system have noted that without having to render two images for 3D, you can theoretically pump out twice the processing power for "additional texture passes and more complex object and environment geometry". Visually games can go up to 60fps instead of 30, for example.

Whether developers will go around Nintendo and create 3D-less games is uncertain, but we're sure one or two will take the risk at somepoint.

icon11.gif
Source
icon11.gif
Source of the source

heavyknight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm guessing 3D will be used for casual/semi-casual/semi-kid friendly games like Pokemon (unless they go with another new style that utilizes 3D, models/polygon 3D, not 'popout' 3D., Tetris, and whatnot, while full power is used for more 'intense' games. Like Mario Kart, 60fps MK~

And by that I mean 3D, even though it's optional, to have the ability to use 3D, as opposed to it being just something you can turn off. Basically, no 3D whatsoever.

Seems interesting...wonder what awaits in 2011.

D

Deleted-171178

This is pretty obvious, for example Castlevania games.
Who wants a 2.5d Castlevania game?

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I posted this in the 3DS section but w/e =P

Think about it, RE is looking so amazing in 3D, what will happen to games that don't use 3D and get that extra processing power. My mind is blowing already lol IMO This has to be powerful as the wii or even more.

Would anyone dare to say this console can produce graphics that'll look like xbox360 games at its best?

I need the 3DS in my hands right now. lol

Fluto

A potato in disguise
Trophies
XP
Country
3d will be used for an obviously upcoming wairoware game
but what would be the difference ??? oh wait motion sensors like gba

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
That depends entirely on the on the Nintendo SDK, if it allows the devs to make games without the 3D effect then that's fine, but if it doesn't, you all have to remember than Dev teams for Nintendo are locked into their SDK, it's not like homebrew Deving, you can't just break out and add new stuff, Nintendo wont allow it.

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
spinal_cord said:
That depends entirely on the on the Nintendo SDK, if it allows the devs to make games without the 3D effect then that's fine, but if it doesn't, you all have to remember than Dev teams for Nintendo are locked into their SDK, it's not like homebrew Deving, you can't just break out and add new stuff, Nintendo wont allow it.
Exactly. I think the hardware and especially the software has been designed specifically to display 3D games. The performance boost that developers actually have access to shouldn't be big enough to just abandon the support of 3D games altogether. Because, let's face it, that's what would happen if the graphics would become two times as pretty with the 3D effect turned off.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
IMO, I have a feeling that if developers had a choice between having the 3D effect or having more processing power to push the visual threshold, they'd choose the latter.

But, maybe they can have both, just not at the same time. If the 3D slider setting can be read by developers as a number that the hardware stores (from 0 to 100, for example, 0 meaning no 3D, 100 meaning complete 3D), the developers can take that, and for each frame, if the value is 0 (meaning the 3D is completely off), they can adjust their graphics engine to do more.

For those that played RE2 on the N64, you probably have an idea of what I'm talking about. For those that haven't, RE2 on the N64 ran at 640x480 until the game had to display a lot of enemies, of which the graphic engine reduced that resolution to 320x240 in real-time to gain some processing power to handle the load, and then reverted back to 640x480 when that heavy load wasn't present.

Then again, if the developers can set the 3D like a switch, either on or off, they can turn it off where they feel 3D wouldn't be the best times to use it, and instead use that power elsewhere.

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I couldn`t care less about graphical horse-power at this state if I`m honest, since IMO graphics between N64 and PSP are really sufficient for a handheld-device... If it enhances the experience I think to have the option to use 3D should always be available, since the games right now judging the playable demos, which obviously were 3D, seem to look great graphically. Even with 3D enabled!

So bottom-line I don`t think that a developer should make the decision not to used 3D just because he wants the game to look a little better rather then to say, that 3D would`t particularly enhance the experience of the game (or doesn`t makes sense for the game) and thus ditching the 3D-effect - in that case that developer might as well use the extra horse-power...

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I hope some developers take advantage of this... let's face it, stereoscopic 3-D isn't going to be the most useful feature for every type of game (plus not every game needs to be 3-D... just as not every Wii game needs motion control, either).

Neko

Been a while.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Won't happen. Even if it's possible, only a few games would not use the 3D-Effect. It's one of the biggest selling points of the device and Nintendo will want to push 3D as far as possible. Also even with 3D activated it can display normal+specular mapping already, what more do you want ?

Anakir

Project: Melee
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I rather have 60fps and better graphic games than 3D visuals. I like frame-dependent games; it makes it more challenging like how there's only a few frames within an attack that you can dodge in order to survive.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Talk about propaganda.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Illinois is working to ban toxic food additives that have been banned for decades in other countries; additives that can be replaced and all those countries still have Skittles and Mountain Dew. Title of the piece: GUBMINT WANTS TO TAKE AWAY YOUR CANDY
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Gee, I wonder if the author is biased?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Sounds and smells like bullshit. They don't give you cancer, and California should know that. I don't get why they stick labels that say "may or may not cause reproductive harm or cancer".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Arsenic doesn't give you cancer either.
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    California has already banned those additives BTW.
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Psi has been banned in the state of California.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I am the cancer!!! lol
    Yayyy got arcade games on the Pi working lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Cool.
    Now to spend 6 months deleting all the garbage lol
    Mame should be two sets one for preservation of everything and one set for people who just want to play and enjoy the old old ganes
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, Shouldn't preservation be legal tho?
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, I always see this dude's shorts, he sounds pretty annoying.
    +1
    Preservation yeah it absolutely should be legal
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, Believe Japan was going to make it legal at some point, according to a Kotaku story.
    +1
    I swear like 99% of arcade games wouldn't even exist these days outside of MAME the arcade machines are old and busted very few ever saw any sort of home conversion
    We get 37 versions of Super Mario Bros but 0 of Beast Busters
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, There's a lot of obscure Japanese arcade titles that are either lost to time or dumped.
    +1
    It's so unfair, maybe AI can save us lol
    I mean if a company could use AI to do the work of a home conversion for essentially free why not? The rights for some games are completely lost though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, AI is taking our jobs!
    +1
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol