Soma Bringer.. how did this game not see a US release?

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by Scyris, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Scyris
    OP

Newcomer Scyris Advanced Member

Canada
    I been playing Soma Bringer with the fan translation and I must ask, how did this game not get picked up for a US release? If your a Secret of Mana fan or simmlar typed rpg's you'd like this.

2. Akiyo

Member Akiyo GBAtemp Regular

Japan
    Thats simple - no translation company willing to pick it up, unlike nintendo titles, they have nintendo of america to do it, games like these doesnt have that kind of luxury.

3. elixirdream

Member elixirdream GBAtemp Legend

Malaysia
    the game perhaps was overrated or over hyped by you guys
    110,000 copies sold in japan after 10 weeks of sales...
    i am not sure is it a good figure or bad one...
    in my opinion it is just acceptable but not a good one

EDIT: i realised that players from E/U usually loves to over hype games~!

a close comparison
    120,000 copies sold for avalon code (J)
    50,000 copies sold for avalon code (U)

it was another HYPED game by you guys...
    it was just a 50,000 copies of sales~!

----

one might argue ... well they have the game developed!
    so all they need is just translate and sell it
    perhaps the japanese don't see any potential for a E/U release
    since it was just 110,000 copies in Japan

----

another over hyped game - black sigil
    manage a 30,000 copies of sales after 4 week

*i am not talking and taking piracy as consideration*
    *FLAME SHIELD ON*

4. King Zargo

Member King Zargo I'm a Star

Netherlands
    @ Scyris
    Because the game dint sell well.

@ Akiyo
    Translation companies would love to get an extra client. They are a business.

5. Akiyo

Japan
    If the company thought the game wont sell - then it wont be translated.

*looks at code geass*

6. Taedirk

Newcomer Taedirk Member

United States
    Both examples are games with an awesome concept in theory, but not in practice. Avalon Code's system fell on its face in actual gameplay and Black Exile should be thankful that it even managed 30k with all the flaws in the game.

7. Wintrale

Member Wintrale GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    As Elixir said, too many people aren't willing to put their money where their mouth is. Nintendo could well translate and release this game in the US and Europe, but there's not much point in it. How many of you bought the Japanese game, even though you have the English-patched ROM? I'm betting almost none. So why should Nintendo bother? It's not like you'll buy it, since you've already got an English ROM and you never bought the game before.

8. Schizoanalysis

Member Schizoanalysis From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...

Australia
    It is a very good looking game... The graphical style reminds me of Magical Vacation for GBA...

Great eye-candy...

[​IMG]

9. Terenigma

Member Terenigma Terenigma everywhere

United Kingdom
    Because the makers had so much faith in this game that they knew it would be translated by the good ol GBAtemp crew!

But seriously! I think the strong multiplayer option in this game alone warrents it be released in english (like many of you i have the full patched game) but me and my friend both played this from start to finish and id quite happily go through it again with someone else! However single player i MAY lose interest but no more so than any other game of this type.

2 players you can both split up from each other and explore completely diffrent places whilst remaining connected. one of you could be on the ship resting up or shopping whilst the other is out fighting and then the one fighting could give you a teleport to join the action from where he's up too - simple idea , perfect execution.

more game need to come out like this the only other one so far thats come even kinda close to making a decent multiplayer is Phantasy star Zero which iv played and it was way WAY short.

10. popopola

Member popopola GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    no idea, but at least we have a great english patch by darthnemesis to enjoy the game with!

11. GeekyGuy

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    I wouldn't rule it out just yet. Nintendo doesn't base all of their decision making on whether or not a game sells well in Japan. Since Soma Bringer more closely resembles Diablo than your typical JRPG, NOA could still see potential for it out here. And by the way, as the publisher, they would be the ones flipping the bill on having a translation team handle localization of the game. The translators don't generally play any role in deciding what does or doesn't get localized. They serve a separate function on a mostly freelance basis. Nintendo and Square Enix might have teams that make them an exception as far as publishers go, but if they feel it's worth injecting more money into the game to bring out here, they will.

12. vgshaman

Newcomer vgshaman Member

United States
    I bought each of the Jump games. I owned a legal copy of Jump Superstars and still have my copy of Jump Ultimate stars. I enjoyed playing them in japanese first, it just got better when I actually understood what was going on. Building a deck was extremely hard in japanese. Honestly, I don't see why that game wouldn't be popular here, but it is a lot to translate.

13. Akiyo

Japan
    Well- at any cases,the game is old now, dont expect to see light to it soon.

14. Wintrale

Member Wintrale GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Those two are, quite frankly, a whole different kettle of fish. The licensing nightmare alone would prevent those games ever leaving Japan. [​IMG]

15. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    On the topic of JUP, on top of it being a licensing nightmare, I doubt it would sell nearly as well here as it would in Japan. 75% of the characters an average American wouldn't know about (aka me), and manga isn't nearly as big a thing here as it is there.

16. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    I'm honestly surprised that Atlus didn't pick this up.

17. PanzerWF

Member PanzerWF GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    We can all dream...