Hacking [SOLVED] Wii bricked - Have boot2 - Can boot bootmii - Can get to homebrew channel

nable

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, apologies in advance to those who have already had to cast their eyes over a hundred other similar topics...which ironically is probalby a big reason why I can't seem to find the exact bit of information I need. I have a feeling the solution to my problem is very simple.

Here is the breakdown (bearing in mind I'm pretty much a layman when it comes to modding):

- Bricked Wii (black screen when going to System Menu)
- Don't know what exactly happened for it to brick.
- On startup, Wii goes to Bootmii (boot2 enabled).
- Have a NAND backup. Not sure if this was obtained right after initial mod.
- Have tried restoring NAND backup. Patch is successful, but still black screen on System Menu.
- Able to get to homebrew channel.
- Have priiloader installed. Not sure if this was installed right after initial mod.

My understanding is I may have a problem with BT module or something to do with IOSes.

I would be extremely grateful if someone could point me in the right direction.

Thank you

Litle_Bird

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Well, does the wii remote connect to the wii in the homebrew channel? If it works inside of homebrew that indicates there isn't any problem with the bluetooth module.

nable

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well, does the wii remote connect to the wii in the homebrew channel? If it works inside of homebrew that indicates there isn't any problem with the bluetooth module.

The wii remote does not connet. Would you know if it is possible to sync new wii remotes inside homebrew channel? (Or if there is another method of verifying that the bluetooth module is defective.)

Last edited by nable,

Litle_Bird

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
The wii remote does not connet. Would you know if it is possible to sync new wii remotes inside homebrew channel? (Or if there is another method of verifying that the bluetooth module is defective.)

I might be wrong but if I remember it right you can press the sync button on the wii (the one next to the sd slot) followed by the sync button in the wii remote

Get the Homebrew channel up and use:

Syscheck
DopMii -> Don't know if this still works with Nintendo not having the servers up anymore...

DopMii is quite old and potentialy dangerous, just recomend syscheck and modmii.

nable

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
For some reason the website is not allowing me to reply to anyone.

Anyway, I have ran syscheck. It freezes about 2/3 of the way through.

Don't know if this is of any use:

region: pal
sys menu v514 running under ios58 rev 6176
44 ios and 5 ios stubs
it froze when "Testing IOS vulnerabilities..."

Regarding connecting wii remotes, I just wanted to make sure it's actually possible within the hbc itself to connect new wii remotes. As far as I know, that feature could be disabled in hbc, for whatever reason, which means I can't test the bluetooth module through it.

Last edited by nable,

SirNapkin1334

Renound Aritst
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe that if you have a broken BT/WiFi module, the Wii will not boot far enough to run BootMii@boot2. You might have received a corrupted Wii Mail message, which requires you to enter Maintenance Mode (if I remember correctly) and format the system. If you dig around on WiiBrew's Bricks section, you'll find something about Wii Message Board or Wii Mail, in which case you should try following that (note if you are not careful you may permanently destroy your GC controller (or at least it's D-Pad)).

@nable Edit: https://sites.google.com/site/completesg/unbricking Look under Mail Brick. This may be your problem.

Last edited by SirNapkin1334,

Litle_Bird

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
For some reason the website is not allowing me to reply to anyone.

Anyway, I have ran syscheck. It freezes about 2/3 of the way through.

Don't know if this is of any use:

region: pal
sys menu v514 running under ios58 rev 6176
44 ios and 5 ios stubs
it froze when "Testing IOS vulnerabilities..."

Regarding connecting wii remotes, I just wanted to make sure it's actually possible within the hbc itself to connect new wii remotes. As far as I know, that feature could be disabled in hbc, for whatever reason, which means I can't test the bluetooth module through it.

I find it strange that the sys menu is running under ios 58 but I guess that can be due to HBC being launched through bootmii..

Do you have some possibility to run a backup launcher and from there start a game? From a game it's possible to sync a new wii remote

nable

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I find it strange that the sys menu is running under ios 58 but I guess that can be due to HBC being launched through bootmii..

Do you have some possibility to run a backup launcher and from there start a game? From a game it's possible to sync a new wii remote

I never set up the wii to play back up wii games. But I did use the wii to play backup gamecube games via Nintendont. Nintendont freezes up now.

nable

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Found something vital. Previously, nintendont would freeze on the logo screen. However, I tried it again now and it boots up fine and boots up a gamecube came perfectly fine.

I did reset the wii to try again, and it did freeze up on the logo screen again...but then work on a third try...So maybe this is just a software issue with nintendont and is unrelated to the black screen on the System Menu, which is a good thing.

So, I think I should go about resetting System Menu files and IOS files. Can anyone point me to a step-by-step tutorial to do this?

SirNapkin1334

Renound Aritst
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Found something vital. Previously, nintendont would freeze on the logo screen. However, I tried it again now and it boots up fine and boots up a gamecube came perfectly fine.

I did reset the wii to try again, and it did freeze up on the logo screen again...but then work on a third try...So maybe this is just a software issue with nintendont and is unrelated to the black screen on the System Menu, which is a good thing.

So, I think I should go about resetting System Menu files and IOS files. Can anyone point me to a step-by-step tutorial to do this?
I've never used it, but you could try using NUSD to download a 4.3 System Menu WAD, to install with a WAD manager. Try also getting IOS 80 & 58 WADS that way and installing them. Just a guess.

nable

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I noticed that IOS80 is running version16174, which by the looks of things is unusual.
I have the option to update to the "newer" v6944.
I have tried this through MMM, however, it comes up with:
"Error: ES_AddTitleStart (-1035)
Error: Installing IOS80 v6944

nable

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
nus for 4.3 (region of choice) system menu
get the required ios based on the dopmii

download the required ios

install them via dopmii

I've tried installing the same system menu via MMM, no changes.
Tried updating ios80 again, still doesn't work.

nable

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Okay, so I did manage to update IOS80. I had forgotten that I needed to change to the right IOS beforehand to actually be able to update any other IOS.

This hasn't resulted in any changes.

Not sure what to do from here.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Measuring sizes with AncientBoi, I see.