D

Deleted_171835

OP
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+, ~2.0 GHz
Memory: 2048MB (2GB) RAM
Page file: 2203MB used, 1633MB available
GFX Card: Integrated NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430[/p]
This problem started about three months ago. Whenever I run certain tasks, like play a Youtube video or open Microsoft Word. My computer starts to rumble. It will continue to rumble until I finish what I'm doing. If I continue with the task, the computer would then abruptly shut off. This hasn't ever happened before. I'm puzzled as to why this is happening. Help?

Berthenk

Epitome of Awesomeness
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Are the fans running? Are the temperatures not too high? Any dust creeping around and or under the fans, inside the heatsink?
Are you sure you didn't change anything on the inside of your computer and that nothing is resting on the fans?

D

Deleted_171835

OP
Berthenk said:
Are the fans running? Are the temperatures not too high? Any dust creeping around and or under the fans, inside the heatsink?
Are you sure you didn't change anything on the inside of your computer and that nothing is resting on the fans?
I haven't changed anything on the inside of my computer.
I'll open the computer and check for dust.

NDStemp

GBAtemp?! No! NDStemp
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Berthenk said:

This. Maybe your computer overheats? Check everything Berthenk mentioned. Like the fan.

Edit: You haven't checked inside? Not even once? Most likely it's dust then. D;

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Rumbling is caused by one of three things. Firstly, the DVD drive - the easiest to check.

Secondly, obstruction to the fans. Check to make sure all wires are kept clear of the fans, and dust them out if they need it (pressurised air helps there).

Finally, loose devices. Make sure that the GFX card, HDDs, PSU and CPU HSF are all securely screwed down. If they're not, then when things start spinning up at faster speeds, the computer will start rumbling.

You can also think about getting rubber "feet" for the computer, to minimize vibrations passing through to whatever surface it's on. Some people recommend rubber grommets (I think they were called) for all HDDs too for the same reason. Vibration in a computer, whilst inevitable, can sometimes cause damage.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
I agree - could be fans.

Since you say it happens with 'Youtube' or 'Word' but not while idling - I would be liable to think it could be the fan on the CPU.

You don't mention the Motherboard, but some have auto fan control - which will run the fan @ a slow 'ticking over' speed until you actually start 'pushing' the processor with work - then it'll speed up

If there's dust etc on the fan blades - it could cause a slight 'inbalance' which increases as the speed of the fan increases

D

Deleted_171835

OP
I just finished dusting out the computer and removing dust from the fans. There was a whole lot of dust on the fan near the CPU and the other one.
Once, I cleaned all of it out, I turned on the computer and I don't hear any sounds anymore even when I run certain tasks. Thanks, everyone!

Sly 3 4 me

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whenever I run programs that require higher usage of RAM, run older CDs or DVDs and do searches/scans on the computer it makes a pretty strange noise too. It wasn't really the drive, but more so the way my computer(laptop) was assembled. After I reconstructed it everything was fine.. But it sounds like your problem is most likely the fan, since it happens when you're doing things that don't require the drive.

Berthenk

Epitome of Awesomeness
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
If you had a GPU I would tell you to disassemble its cooler and remove the dust with a blower or manually pull it out. A friend of mine had sounds like yours, and after removing the dust from the GPU cooler it was almost non existant.
Remove your CPU cooler and heatsink and de-dust (is that a word?
tongue.gif
) them both, then put new thermal paste on your CPU and reinstall the heatsink and cooler. After that, there might be some dust left on either the North or Southbridge, or some other part on your motherboard. I don't really know what it is, though.
tongue.gif
It's cooled passively, so try blowing it out with a blower or pulling it out yourself. If you can somehow remove the passive cooler, check the heatsink if there is one, and again, put some thermal paste on it if you can spot some remains. If you don't see remains, it might still be a good choice to put some paste there. As always, reinstall the heatsink and the cooler.

Edit: awww maaaaaaan, I was too late.
tongue.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn