Solution to R4 Spring Problems

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by jngamer, May 1, 2007.

May 1, 2007

Solution to R4 Spring Problems by jngamer at 4:41 AM (3,192 Views / 0 Likes) 18 replies

1. jngamer
    OP

Newcomer jngamer Member

United States
    Alright, so today my spring just stopped working on me, and i looked on the forum how to solve it. i tried all the solutions i could find, and none worked. until i finally see somebody say they used tweasers to pull out the spring. so i tried it, n thanks to him, the spring is gone, and i can push and pull out the micro sd from the r4 ds now.
    try it out guys if it doesnt work for you.

if u want pictures on what it looks like now, post.

Update*

I'm posting a youtube video on how to solve the spring problem on the r4 ds. ill post a link as soon as its uploaded.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mNDhdWap3TM

2. myclock

Member myclock GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    cheers for this. hope mine doesnt break [​IMG]

3. poloman

Member poloman GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    there was another thread discussing this too. i had the same prob on my m3, and after removing the spring, the card would go down to far, so i bent the runners on the front of the sd slot downwards into L shapes so they held the card at the right spot - works perfectly!

edit: heres the link with some pics : http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=43982&st=0

(the last reply on that thread is a bit silly - theres no spring so it cant spring out! - plus, the runners hold the card in place anyway)

4. yukine

Member yukine GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Very nice, thanks. I have an R4 with a broken spring, so I'll give this a shot later. It beats holding the microSD card in place with tape!

5. bladetears

Newcomer bladetears Advanced Member

United States
    Very nice tutorial, my R4DS spring broke awhile ago but I just sent it back for a new one.

6. joe_gamer

Member joe_gamer GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Thanks! I'll prob need this soon.

7. Takrin

Member Takrin GBAtemp Fan

United States
    i did write a topic on how to repair a acekard spring, which is the same, you can also buy the push type microsd slots online but they cost around $3-$4 each. anyhow if anyone wanted images also check the post below. btw the spring slot on acekard was way too small for tweezer, so i used a crafting knife

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=44796&hl=

8. squeaks

Member squeaks GBAtemp Regular

Philippines

I had locking problems with my R4, when you push down the SD card, it wouldn't lock, and teh sd card slides right back up. I just went back and had it changed. But, just in case, does anyone know how to fix the locking problem? To keep the spring from pushing it out if the lock mechanism brokes.

9. 4saken

Member 4saken Retired Ace Attorney

Australia
    Isn't that what the thread was about? You can remove the spring.

10. yukine

United States
    I'd like to do this, but I can't really see what happened in the video. So you just take small tweezers and pull out the spring via the same slot you put the microSD card? Or do I need to open up the little compartment that houses the spring?

11. jngamer
    OP

Newcomer jngamer Member

United States
    you dont open up a single thing. listen and watch more carefully and you will understand

12. Farp

Newcomer Farp Newbie

Malaysia
    Before you rip out the spring you might want to try actually fixing it.

There's some information in this thread. I fixed mine in a similar manner some months ago and it's been fine ever since. If you find it doesn't work reliably then rip away!

13. yukine

United States
    This is more of what I had in mind, thanks.

14. vordul

Newcomer vordul Newbie

United States
    Yeah, you can just buy a replacement spring (or housing, depending on what was actually broken) and replace it.

15. suske1245

Newcomer suske1245 Member

Australia
    the spring doesnt break automatically unless its is played around with alot (eg, taking microsd in and out every hour, lol).

16. Hit

Member Hit GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    Putting in wrong side it enough to brick
    Atleast at my R4 tough fixed using this video couldnt find any pincer took a knife broke the lil black plastic out and it works fine now

17. whodat

Newcomer whodat Newbie

United States
    I was having problems with my spring. It would not eject my MicroSD card. After searching I found out that the spring does not hold the card in place. So I leave the spring engaged and pull the card out with my fingers. Hope that helps anyone having the same problem.

18. xnh02

Newcomer xnh02 Member

United States
    i've had a m3 ds simply for about 3 months now. i didn't know that the micro sd card slot had springs until now. i have always just slid the card in and out using my finger nails without any problems.

19. jrdehaisx

Newcomer jrdehaisx Advanced Member

United States
    I guess like a child I had to learn about the drop down of the best card out there, the drop down is hte spring thing, so anyways I will try to fix this as my GF has the Card right now, she does not open it up that much as I do, I normally take the MicroSD 7-10 times a night to upload new roms to it... soooooooooooo I guess this is my pay down... darng, anyways the card is the best to my point of view.