Solderless Wii Modchip.

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by jaxxster, May 5, 2007.

May 5, 2007

Solderless Wii Modchip. by jaxxster at 12:15 PM (1,330 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. jaxxster
    OP

Member jaxxster The Heretic

United Kingdom
    "WiiNewz forum member Takrin has been designing a PCB for use with the open source WiiFree code that would require NO SOLDERING to install. The chip is "held in place with double sided tape on one side and a foam which presses it to your drive on the other side."

More information and prototype photos can be found in This forum thread."

[​IMG]

Taken from: www.wiinewz.com

2. moshii

Member moshii GBAtemp Regular

Japan
    Surprised this didn't happen earlier.. the pads on the drive MB are perfect for some springloaded contacts.
    I'd prefer a more reliable way of keeping the thing in place though. [​IMG]

3. adgloride

Member adgloride Its A Wii Wario

United Kingdom
    It looks a good idea. But just how secure would it be when using double sided tape. If you need to move the wii, the board will probably move and you'd need to open the wii up again.

4. baosen

Newcomer baosen Member

Norway
    Maybe use glue instead? hehe [​IMG]

5. joesmokey

Newcomer joesmokey Member

United States
    Would be great if they'd figure out a more stable way. I'd be scared to death to move my Wii.

6. Smiths

Member Smiths AKAIO Person of Interest

United States
    Divineo/Maxconsole to announce Cyclowiz v3 Solderless in 3...2...

*edit*: forgot to say they'll announce it as the first, original, MAXCONSOLE EXCLUSIVE solderless chip

7. WII20

Newcomer WII20 Member

United States
    I don't see the point. You would still have to open up your Wii everytime a new update comes. Maybe with the cyclowiz, since you can update it via dvd. But still, we'll wait and see how secure to the board they're going to be.

8. Takrin

Member Takrin GBAtemp Fan

United States
    was posted on testing forum awhile back
    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=48952&hl=

i kinda dont like the first version since its a real pain to upgrade so working on the new one

second version will come with Wiifree also but with the programmer you could install any firmware compatible with 12F629/675

theres a hole close to the modding area and was thinking about using that but would have to redesign the whole thing, if the v1 prototype loses place easily i'll prob try to use that

9. quadomatic

Member quadomatic GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Hey, I'd definitely be interested in a solderless solution. It sure would save a lot of trouble, since then I wouldn't have to buy all the equipment I need to solder the chip in.

Are the worries about whether the chip will actually say well founded? I don't want my Wii to get a short and burn to high hell.

Would this be solderless on a newer Wii? I got my Wii a week after launch, but then it broke and I had to send it in, and they sent me a new one (this was about January-ish).

Also, how could we get one of these? Would you be selling them? And for how much?

10. Renegade_R

Member Renegade_R Audio/Video Expert

Canada
    *awaits the sudden surge of threads relating to a modchip suddenly not working*