jaxxster

The Heretic
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
"WiiNewz forum member Takrin has been designing a PCB for use with the open source WiiFree code that would require NO SOLDERING to install. The chip is "held in place with double sided tape on one side and a foam which presses it to your drive on the other side."

More information and prototype photos can be found in This forum thread."

13087-wiifree-first-solderless-mod-v2.jpg

Taken from: www.wiinewz.com

moshii

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Surprised this didn't happen earlier.. the pads on the drive MB are perfect for some springloaded contacts.
I'd prefer a more reliable way of keeping the thing in place though.
tongue.gif

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It looks a good idea. But just how secure would it be when using double sided tape. If you need to move the wii, the board will probably move and you'd need to open the wii up again.

WII20

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't see the point. You would still have to open up your Wii everytime a new update comes. Maybe with the cyclowiz, since you can update it via dvd. But still, we'll wait and see how secure to the board they're going to be.

Takrin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
was posted on testing forum awhile back
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=48952&hl=

i kinda dont like the first version since its a real pain to upgrade so working on the new one

second version will come with Wiifree also but with the programmer you could install any firmware compatible with 12F629/675

theres a hole close to the modding area and was thinking about using that but would have to redesign the whole thing, if the v1 prototype loses place easily i'll prob try to use that

quadomatic

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hey, I'd definitely be interested in a solderless solution. It sure would save a lot of trouble, since then I wouldn't have to buy all the equipment I need to solder the chip in.

Are the worries about whether the chip will actually say well founded? I don't want my Wii to get a short and burn to high hell.

Would this be solderless on a newer Wii? I got my Wii a week after launch, but then it broke and I had to send it in, and they sent me a new one (this was about January-ish).

Also, how could we get one of these? Would you be selling them? And for how much?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM