jon-t

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hi
I know that solderless isn't a good solution and in many cases more dangerus to the console than solder, but is it posible to do it ? Will there be solderless solutions out ?
I been thinking about it for a while and come up with that it is two ways that might work.

One is an clip on solution, a kind of a socket that you put on the top of the dvd chip

The socket to the right....
Would this be posible ? Does it exist something like this allready (i mean in general, not for wii)? Or does it need to be made custom ?

The other solution i came up with was some sort of pcb

The 1 point there is to keep it in place
The solder points are connected to the pcb by sharp pins witch is spring loaded to keep the pressure.

What do you think of this ? Is one of the above posible ?

Ps: don't anwer me with "solder is better", i allready know that...

squirt1000

Would rather have a cup of Tea!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I cant see a reason why this wouldnt be possible, Its gotta be simpler than a solderless PS2 mod. Its just a matter of time. Something will probably surface when all the dust settles from the 1st gen mod-war.
biggrin.gif

jon-t

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Thanks for the replys it was exatly the answers i was hoping for, maybe i try to make me #2 to see how hard it is.
Solder is better becouse it's mutch more stable.
Solderless solutions easely loses contact with the solder points if you move the console or you can lose contact after some time becouse of things like dust or oxydation.

Don't think firmware flash would be posible, i think the wii dvd chip is read-only or something like that...

kai445

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd be interested by that, but why would soldering be better?

Soldering is better because when properly done the connection will last a hundred years or more without failing.

Pogo pins... probably not as reliable. I havent heard or seen any specific horror stories, but I'd never use pogo pins or clips on any of my own personal machines.

Kissell13

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Soderless installs like you are talking about actually made it pretty big into the xbox 1 scene. I personally was skeptical but ordered a Xenium SpIice when it came out with the solderless adapter and its suprisingly stable. Ive beaten the hell outta my xbox and Ive never had to realign it. In fact when it came out the creators postd a video of them kicing an xbox with the nnewly installed chip down a flight of stairs and it still worked without realignig the chip. If just needs to be flawlessy designed to work that well.

Just my 2 cents

kristijan08

Trophies
XP
Country
theres no question solder is better, however solderless solution would work. my only advice is not to throw your console around once its installed
biggrin.gif

jon-t

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Does anyone know the exact dimentions on the dvd controller chip ?
Or know where i can find it, or maybe even somebody is kind enough to messure it?
Need it to get the scale right so i can begin designing a prototype...

squirt1000

Would rather have a cup of Tea!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
@ Join-T do you own a wii and have you taken it apart yet?? It will be prob in your own best interests to do all the testing on your own machine!!

Still seems a worthy idea though..........

jon-t

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I have looked around for a solution like #1 and found the DMS4 EZI for PS2, dosn't it use something like #1 ??
I case it shows that it is posible, and that one is an very stable and user friendly solution!

hanman

I'm a pretty lucky guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i seem to recall there being MANY reported problems with the DMS4 EZI. most experienced modders recommended staying far away from it. something about coming loose and frying motherboards, IIRC

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: Can't wait for season 2