Soldering WiiKey Questions

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Dylaan, Aug 24, 2007.

Aug 24, 2007

Soldering WiiKey Questions by Dylaan at 11:32 AM (944 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. Dylaan
    OP

Member Dylaan GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Okay, so my WiiKey arrived the other day... I've got kynar wire, solder with flux core, and a 25w DSE Soldering Iron... Few people have said it's risky to use 25w... I've hardly got any experience in soldering, but mucking around on my old PC Mainboard wasn't too difficult... I need advice... Thanks! [​IMG]

2. tjas

Member tjas The Gbatemp HRManager

Netherlands
    I solderd my xenogc chip in my gamecube a few months back. Was also my first mod attempt. I messed it up at first but I was able to repair it! My tip to you use wires! instead of quick solder...

Greatings

3. Dylaan
    OP

Australia
    Yeah, there's no way I'm using quicksolder, considered the 'shortwire' method, but now I'm just going for good old regular wires... Anyone had issues with heat etc? I'm really worried about frying something... How much is 25w?

4. TLSpartan

Member TLSpartan Kills threads

Australia
    Get the lowest you can get your hands on. I have a Goot 13 watt in my room for IC soldering. 25 Watts should be fine. Just dont keep the soldering iron there for two long or you will lift some pads

5. lenselijer

Member lenselijer GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    25w is way too much, use 15w max.

also you should go for a wire install if its your first time installing in a wii.

6. Dylaan
    OP

Australia
    More-so to warrant buying a 15w iron? (I only borrowed this one, best I can get). If I accidentally bridge points, can I just split them again with the iron? What are the chances of frying things...? I've been advised to 'heatsink' it, this should help right?

7. thieves like us

Member thieves like us chaos personified

United States

8. Takrin

Member Takrin GBAtemp Fan

United States
    i say 15-25 is fine for first timers

15w is annoying on wii because the power pad is somewhat annoying to do with 15w, and 25w can burn the smaller pad faster. 15w is a safer choice so use that, when you get better and faster at soldering move up to 20/30w

i say temp control is the way to go if you plan on soldering more, nothing like matching your lead melt point then soldering with that temp, makes everything so much easier

9. Dylaan
    OP

Australia
    The thing I wanted to know was, I have a 25w iron... Is it worth buying a 15w even though I've already got one?

My Wii doesn't have cut legs, unless I'm severely mistaken, it's supposedly the easiest type to modify. Thanks anyway...