soldering went fubar, desoldering wick?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by ziddey, Jul 1, 2007.

Jul 1, 2007
  1. ziddey
    OP

Member ziddey GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I was having a real hard time soldering onto my d2b chip and accidentally dripped solder onto adjacent legs. I didn't notice at first (never work late at night under heavy caffeination) and ended up getting the solder embedded into the legs, bridging them together. I've soldered many times before but never with anything this small scale (should have practiced first, but figured if I went carefully I'd be fine, seeing how I've done many a simple job with breadboards, which are much larger.. stupid stupid) so have never needed to look into desoldering tools.

Would a desoldering wick be what I need to remove this solder? I know I need to exercise a lot more caution at this point to not unsolder the legs from the pcb.

And that said, are there any good tips for soldering wires onto the d2b? I have it sanded down to show the 3 leads but have a hell of a time soldering them down. I'm using ata66 cable (awg30)

Thanks and pardon my stupidity. I'd like to fix it myself and work to a proper job instead of seeking professional assistance.

2. funwithplaydough

Newcomer funwithplaydough Advanced Member

United States
    I use this stuff ChipQuik SMD. You solder this special solder like substance onto the piece you want removed, it lowers temperature so the solder you want removed stays as a liquid, then use the included wick to remove the solder.

3. TLSpartan

Member TLSpartan Kills threads

Australia
    You could try a Goot desolder wick. I use mine in combination with a desloder pump in my daily prototyping. I have never bridged legs that close together though [​IMG] .

4. Aku

Newcomer Aku Member

United States
    I use this copper de-soldering braid. basically lay it on top of mistake, touch your soldering iron to it, and it picks up everything.

Works great for me, don't know if it would work in your case...

5. dohclude

Member dohclude GBAtemp Fan

United States
    the copper wick will do fine, if you dip it in flux first it will work even better.