Soldering points size comparison pic

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by dOOfus, Mar 26, 2007.

Mar 26, 2007
  1. dOOfus
    OP

Newcomer dOOfus Advanced Member

United States
    So, I opened up my Wii today just too see how small these points actually are. I was pretty confident that I could do it myself as I modded my own Xbox in the past, but now that I actually saw these points for myself, I don't know anymore. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's a pic I took in case you guys that haven't modded your Wii yet were curious about how small these points really are.
    The pencil is a 0.5mm lead pencil.

2. mustnap

Member mustnap GBAtemp Regular

United States
    don't worry, you can do it.. my last soldering experience was 8 years ago (and it did not involve anything that small and complicated either) and right now, i have modded 4 Wiis already.. =) have some confidence man!

3. plexo

Member plexo GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    0.5mm pads and 0.2mm gap between them im guessing, lol have fun if this is anyones first soldering experience

4. Psiloz

Newcomer Psiloz Newbie

United Kingdom
    I found it daunting too, but confidence and relaxation is key. I tried doing it after work one day but I was a bit stressed and it wasn't happening. I realized this and stopped when it came to the soldering. Left my Wii in bits overnight and re-attempted after a nice sleep and whole procedure went flawlessly.

The only other advice I have is to tin the wire first, bring the wire into contact and 'dab' the iron in 1 second intervals.

5. mosca.br

Newcomer mosca.br Member

Brazil
    Nice pic.

It is really hard to gues the size of those points only from looking at pictures and install guides. [​IMG]

6. mustnap

Member mustnap GBAtemp Regular

United States
    true.. i thought the points are big but i did not realize that all pictures were close ups until i saw the size of Wiikey..

7. Louse76

Member Louse76 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I had never soldered before and installed mine without a problem.

Just practice on an old sound or video or network card with similar or smaller points until you can do it without a problem - that's the key.

Also, you should hold the pencil against the points, it appears it is not completely, to get an accurate gauge. Also for more depth of field (all in focus), pull the camera further away or supply more light so your camera can adjust its aperture accordingly.