Soldering Iron unable to heat??

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by indiraider, Apr 4, 2007.

Apr 4, 2007
  1. indiraider
    OP

Newcomer indiraider Advanced Member

Hi I think my soldering Iron is busted, I have a 15watt radioshack one like in the guide. No matter how long I heat it up it wont melt solder at its tip of its tip but it can still melt at the base of the tip. It used to melt at the tip, what went wrong??

2. mrdan

Newcomer mrdan Newbie

United States
    I have a 'shack iron and it worked great for about 10 installs before it started to die. Now it will heat up and sometimes melt solder and sometimes go cold in the middle of an install. It's probably a bad heating element but it also could be an intermittent connection between the power cable and the element. Either way, just take it to them and tell them it broke. They should give you a new one.

3. indiraider
    OP

Thanks I just returned it for another

4. dohclude

Member dohclude GBAtemp Fan

United States
    lolz, your tips is just gunked up from oxidation. Take a look at the very tip... it's all black/brown isn't it? What I do is keep a small file on hand so that I can gently "rough" the tip up a bit every once in awhile. This will remove the oxidation from the tip, allowing the head to properly transfer and melt the solder.

5. Hooya

Member Hooya GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Exactly my thought.

Not really the best to file down your tip though. Better to get some tip tinner/cleaner

http://www.mcminone.com/product.asp?catalo...eds&ATT=froogle

6. indiraider
    OP

Well your were definitely right the tip was dead black, but without knowing I returned it to the radio shack and the stupid guy just gave me another one.

7. Takrin

Member Takrin GBAtemp Fan

United States
    tin the tip first (coat it with solder), heat the iron up until full heat then apply generous amount of solder to it.

else you will face oxidization again, if their nickle or other metal plated then try fine sandpaper to scratch it up a little or just remove the plating and expose the copper for easier tinning, if it gets oxidized then use sandpaper or tip cleaner to remove.

8. 754boy

Banned 754boy :D

United States
    Thats the method I use [​IMG]