Soldering Iron Recomendations?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by UltraMagnus, Mar 28, 2009.

Mar 28, 2009
  1. UltraMagnus
    OP

Member UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

United Kingdom
    I am getting to a point where I am starting to feel my cheapo antex iron is slowing me down, and it really can't handle doing smts further than the odd resistor. Conveniently my birthday is coming up, so I was considering asking my parents for a new iron, and was wondering if any tempers have any recomendations?

this one particularly peaked my interest as metcal have a special "hoof" bit for soldering smts.

thanks in advance!

edit: you know, not being able to edit titles is really irritating when you make a typo....

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    I still use firestarter irons most of the time (although some have felt the taste of my file or had custom tips made) but when playing surface mount I agree it can get sketchy, even more in the realms of BGA.

The link you gave is nice although £140 is a bit much and you are then within the realms of a basic rework kit which I would say is what you are ultimately gunning for.
    I have not used the site but for an idea:
    http://www.pcb-soldering.co.uk/index.php?t...;category_id=12

3. UltraMagnus
    OP

Member UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

United Kingdom
    I have considered buying a hot air rework station, however my understanding is that to solder components using them you have to use solder paste, that is expensive and expires within months, which I would really rather not deal with.