Soldering Iron Recomendations?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by UltraMagnus, Mar 28, 2009.

1. UltraMagnus
    OP

UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

Aug 2, 2007
    Portsmouth
    I am getting to a point where I am starting to feel my cheapo antex iron is slowing me down, and it really can't handle doing smts further than the odd resistor. Conveniently my birthday is coming up, so I was considering asking my parents for a new iron, and was wondering if any tempers have any recomendations?

this one particularly peaked my interest as metcal have a special "hoof" bit for soldering smts.

thanks in advance!

edit: you know, not being able to edit titles is really irritating when you make a typo....

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    I still use firestarter irons most of the time (although some have felt the taste of my file or had custom tips made) but when playing surface mount I agree it can get sketchy, even more in the realms of BGA.

The link you gave is nice although £140 is a bit much and you are then within the realms of a basic rework kit which I would say is what you are ultimately gunning for.
    I have not used the site but for an idea:
    http://www.pcb-soldering.co.uk/index.php?t...;category_id=12

3. UltraMagnus
    OP

UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

Aug 2, 2007
    Portsmouth
    I have considered buying a hot air rework station, however my understanding is that to solder components using them you have to use solder paste, that is expensive and expires within months, which I would really rather not deal with.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice