Soldering Help

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by phantastic91, Jul 23, 2007.

Jul 23, 2007

Soldering Help by phantastic91 at 11:17 PM (871 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. phantastic91
    OP

Member phantastic91 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    im following this guide here and i can't get how you put a bead on the iron and then transfer it onto the wire.

http://psx-scene.com/forums/wiikey/54830-w...tall-guide.html

i tinned the tip and then wiped it and add a little bit of solder but it still gets sucked around the iron . Help please !

2. Hooya

Member Hooya GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Dip the wire in flux first.

Or, the more proper method, is to touch the tinned iron (not with a drop of solder, just tinned) to the wire and then touch your solder to the wire (so, at the same time). The wire should be hot enough close to the iron that the solder melts onto it. If that doesn't work see my previous suggestion. Solder flows towards the source of heat, so it's hard to get solder to move from the iron onto another surface that is likely colder.

A better way to do the whole process though (IMHO) is to only tin the wires but don't put a drop of solder on them, just tinned; rather tin the points on the board and add the wire to the points. Do this by touching the iron to one side of the point, and the solder to the other. In a second or so the solder should melt, both from your solder source and the point on the board, increasing the amount of solder on the board. Take both the iron and your solder source away from the board. Be careful not to add too much though. Next put the iron to that spot on the board and stick the wire into the melted solder at the appropriate angle. Take away your iron and hold the wire steady until the solder is solid again.

That's just how I would do it.

3. phantastic91
    OP

United States
    thanks ill try that later. [​IMG]

4. elm

Member elm GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Just modded my Wii with the Wiikit over the weekend... I was nervous about taking the Wii apart, but I had a great guide. And a professional cable installer (my brother-n-law) soldered my Wiikit on for me.

He said that he didn't understand why anyone would use flux to attach the wires, he said it was not needed. So he just zapped the wires in under 5 minutes with a 15W solder Iron, I put it back together in 15 minutes and it works great.

The Wiikit already has solder onto the wires!!

Elm

5. phantastic91
    OP

United States
    i have a wiikit! I got it today. instead of being in the mailbox it was on the floor on the sidewalk T_T lucky my brother spotted it for me =]

man the chip is small! i read that you should trim the wire some more...is that true :wtf:

6. phantastic91
    OP

United States
    i tried using flux nothing changed :'(

7. Hooya

United States
    Try following my other suggestions.

Like I said, you want to tin the point, tin the wire, then connect them. There's no need to add a drop of solder like that anywhere. Like elm's brother in law said, if you do it right you should not need to use flux at all. I never use flux for anything other than the cut legs section of a Wii, it's just not necessary.

What kind of solder are you using?

8. phantastic91
    OP

United States
    .032 rosin core i think. i saw the .015 one but it said silver bearing so i didnt get it but i should casue thats the right one XD

im planning to get the .015 once i start modding my wii but right now ill just practicing on stuff like me ps1 and routers.

9. Hooya

United States
    DO NOT use silver bearing solder. It's not the right kind of thing for this job.

60/40 Rosin Core .032 diameter solder is just fine, it's exactly what I use and have no issues with it.