Hacking soldering a YAOSM chip as we speak....

zant

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey everybody. I was given a YAOSM chip about 2 years ago, and never got around to soldering it in. Well now I have. Is there an update disc for it? I do not have a programmer, and I was hoping there was an update disc for it.

Social0

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
Riley said:
Why put a chip in the wii when you can softmod...

a chip is still more awesome
yaywii.gif

MFDC12

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
as far as i know you need a programmer to program YAOSM

and i hate it when people reply in EVERY topic about a modchip "just softmod". that is not what the op is asking, so lets keep it on topic. k?

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MOST families have people who are semi-retarded when it comes to using electronic devices. It is to complicated for them to mess with loaders and such and they would just rather put a disk in and play just like normal. This is where a mod chip comes in. Sure you can do it with DarkCorps but then the disk only reads at 3x and games like SSBB and Mario Galaxy tend to stutter a lot. A mod chip allows 6x read and prevents the stuttering.

Need a better reason? Then you don't need a mod chip, but some people DO. 'nuff said.

*edited for spelling

Riley

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
urherenow said:
MOST families have people who are semi-retarded when it comes to using electronic devices. It is to complicated for them to mess with loaders and such and they would just rather put a disk in and play just like normal. This is where a mod chip comes in. Sure you can do it with DarkCorps but then the disk only reads at 3x and games like SSBB and Mario Galaxy tend to stutter a lot. A mod chip allows 6x read and prevents the stuttering.

Need a better reason? Then you don't need a mod chip, but some people DO. 'nuff said.

*edited for spelling

Or you can just buy a USB hardrive for like $50-$80 and use a usb loader. I would say that is easier then soldering a chip in or getting up every time you want to switch game.
USB LOADING is more then 6x

How difficult is it too have a channel called Neogamma on your wii menu so when you want to start a wii/GC game from disc you just click it and press A when it loads.

MFDC12

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Riley said:
urherenow said:

*edited for spelling

Or you can just buy a USB hardrive for like $50-$80 and use a usb loader. I would say that is easier then soldering a chip in or getting up every time you want to switch game.
USB LOADING is more then 6x

How difficult is it too have a channel called Neogamma on your wii menu so when you want to start a wii/GC game from disc you just click it and press A when it loads.

Soldering the wii is actually pretty easy, and drivechips like YAOSM are cheaper than a hard drive. I can get a 100 pack of verbs for 17 dollars, which costs less than a hard drive, which would be more than enough for most people. Modchips have higher compatibility, too, I still see a few reds and oranges in gamecube and wii for usb loading. it is also easier to just use a modchip for something like it because you don't need to worry about incompatabilites or cios'es or updating, o.

do not get me wrong, i am not against softmods at all, they have come a long way since 08... and i am sorry if it sounds like i am trashing them, my wii has a usb drive and is chipped, but i do have the problem, as i stated before about people saying this on every modchip thread. it is not what the op asked.

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
The ideal setup is a combination of a hard mod and soft mods. Neither is worth naysaying.

zant, if this topic is all for the question, you should be posting it on Ask GBAtemp to avoid terrible posts like the ones that follow.
Also shame on you Riley and Twinretro, at least try to contribute to the topic rather than crap on it. For those that are experienced with soldering but not soft mods it is actually easier.

Kiljaeden

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If the yaosm chip has already been programmed, you can upgrade it via a DVD IIRC. If it is not already programmed, you will need to program the chip using a programmer.

I don't think yaosm has anyone working on it. Last upgrade was version 3.2 I think.

thesund0g

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
MFDC12 said:
as far as i know you need a programmer to program YAOSM

and i hate it when people reply in EVERY topic about a modchip "just softmod". that is not what the op is asking, so lets keep it on topic. k?

It's funny, pretty much every thread goes that way.

"Hey, I want a modchip, which chip should I get?"
"Nah, you don't want a modchip, you want to softmod."
"Hey, I want to softmod, how about running cIOScorp?"
"Nah, you don't want that, use Neogamma."
"Hey, I want to run Neogamma?"
"Nah, screw that, try USB loading!"
"Hey, I...uhh...want to do USB loading."
"Nah, USB loading is so 2009, try SNEEK!"
"Hey, what is SNEEK and how do I get SNEEK running?"
"LOL noob, tl;dr, rtfm modmii etc."

Yeah, very helpful for everyone.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYzI76fwaM0