Software to check how many gb's your hdd has read and written?

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by thekman, Dec 30, 2014.

1. thekman
    OP

thekman Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 3, 2014
    Canada
    I just want to pretty much see how many gb's I have read and written onto my current hdd.
    Any help will be greatly appreciated

2. DarkFlare69

DarkFlare69 GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 8, 2014
    United States
    Ohio
    Go to Windows Explorer and type
    Code:
    Computer
    into the navbar at the top, and it'll show your drive and you can see the data storage...

3. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    No he wants total statictics of data read and written to the drive

4. The Pi

The Pi Lurker

Mar 18, 2010
    Scotland
    Programs like crystaldiskinfo allow you to get easy access to the SMART data for drives.

However value HDDs tend not to store total writes as power on hours is a better indicator of failure rate than total writes (for the most part)

If you are interested in writes for the sake of upgrading to a SSD (where poeple tend to worry about total writes) the risk of failure isn't as bad as made out to be, SSDs have been tested to last longer than their rated lifespans plus by the time even a power user would have written enough to kill a SSD chances are you would have likely upgraded to something larger and faster (with sata 3 being a pain at the moment and the prices of ssds falling) http://techreport.com/review/27436/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-two-freaking-petabytes

5. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    free space is obvious and many OSes (including modern windows) will have data during an observed period as well as instantaneous rates. Many SSDs will have it as part of standard SMART logs (233 Media Wearout Indicator being the main option), it might exist on some higher end big boy hard drives if they have a warranty sold on so many complete writes/total data written, it might also be an option of high end NAS units, SANs and possibly big boy RAID as well. Whether it exists for consumer grade spinning rust I do not know at this point.