Hacking SoftModding Wii for a dummie

Jessyb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So yesterday I purchased a used wii. My fiances gamecube bit the dust so I bought a wii to play gamecube games on. Anyway, I wanted to mod it to play gamecube backups.
Im not sure about all this terminology..but anyway heres what I got so far.

1 TB external HDD - am I able to use this for other backup purposes also?? I have computer stuff I need to keep on it, cant afford another HDD.

8 GB SD Card (Ah its SDHC will that work?)

ModMii installed on my computer, not sure what to do with this yet.

Anything else I need to get working gamecube backups on my wii? Obv I want to be able to play wii backups also.

Any chance of bricking with modmii?

Jessyb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So im following the directions on bootmii and making the nand backup, I have like 6 black blocks (bad blocks) whats this mean?

Jessyb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think its modded now, did everything it told me to and im sitting on the homebrew channel now,im getting my HDD ready and moving some games to it before I move the HDD. I dont want to have to keep moving it around, cause it has to be plugged into a wall socket and all.
So to boot gamecube games what do I do? just drag the file where the wii games are and boot it like that? Or do i need to do something else first?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I think its modded now, did everything it told me to and im sitting on the homebrew channel now,im getting my HDD ready and moving some games to it before I move the HDD. I dont want to have to keep moving it around, cause it has to be plugged into a wall socket and all.
So to boot gamecube games what do I do? just drag the file where the wii games are and boot it like that? Or do i need to do something else first?
To play GC games form USB you need to install DIOS MIOS, it'll come as a WAD that you install using a WAD manager homebrew. Then transfer GC games to your USB using the DMToolbox or whatever program that comes with DIOS MIOS.
https://code.google.com/p/diosmios/
https://sites.google.com/site/completesg/how-to-use/wad-manager

BlackWizzard17

Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should be careful when using DMToolbox as I seen many people complain because it didn't make to extra files needed to play the game. When converting the ISO with that tool check the folder that was made and see if there are extra files in there other wise you run into a " error app loader size is 0"
I suggest the program discEX

Jessyb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I cant find where to download this discex, I searched and all i see is people talking about it but no link?

So i just used the dmtoolbox, it made a iso file and a sys file. I put them on my hdd under games.
When I went into the usb loader it takes me into something called wii flow, when launching the gamecube game it just launches the disc in the drive. I took the disc out and now it just sits on a black screen.

If it helps any my HDD has 3 partitions, a FAT32 for my computers system backup, a ntfs for my files backup and a fat32 for my wii stuff

BlackWizzard17

Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://dios-mios-lite-source-project.googlecode.com/files/DiscEX-v0.8-cred.rar
Here's a link to discex dragg the ISO on here and you have a folder with every thing you need.

Now when using usbloader you have to use a certain revision but I use wiiflow like you do so most likely you have to go to settings and set dios mios to (dios mios 2.2 +) also dios mios only supports fat32 I think

rooskie54

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I cant find where to download this discex, I searched and all i see is people talking about it but no link?

So i just used the dmtoolbox, it made a iso file and a sys file. I put them on my hdd under games.
When I went into the usb loader it takes me into something called wii flow, when launching the gamecube game it just launches the disc in the drive. I took the disc out and now it just sits on a black screen.

If it helps any my HDD has 3 partitions, a FAT32 for my computers system backup, a ntfs for my files backup and a fat32 for my wii stuff

Fairly positive the Wii/Gamecube FAT32 partition has to be the first partition on the drive.
Also it needs to be formatted with a cluster size of 32k.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
So yesterday I purchased a used wii. My fiances gamecube bit the dust so I bought a wii to play gamecube games on. Anyway, I wanted to mod it to play gamecube backups.

1 TB external HDD - am I able to use this for other backup purposes also?? I have computer stuff I need to keep on it, cant afford another HDD.

ModMii installed on my computer, not sure what to do with this yet.

Anything else I need to get working gamecube backups on my wii? Obv I want to be able to play wii backups also.

SDHC works but note that older Wii games that save data to the SD card won't work with it such as SSBB.

I used GameCube ISO Tool, it works similar to DMToolbox and all my GC and Triforce games have worked perfectly with it both loading from real NAND and from UNEEK. I would definitely recommend that app.
It sounds like you have not installed DIOS MIOS correctly as it is launching the disc in the drive.

Fairly positive the Wii/Gamecube FAT32 partition has to be the first partition on the drive.
Also it needs to be formatted with a cluster size of 32k.
64k cluster size works even better (faster)

Aractus

Trophies
Website
blog.aractus.com
XP
Country

Yes, but you can also just use a USB stick, and I personally use a stick as I find a HDD excessive for the task.
Two things - 1. all SD cards larger than 2gb are SDHC, and 2. You can use DML and put all your gamecube games on the SD card instead of the usb drive. You'll probably fit about 10 GC games on the SD card (if you compress the images). You can rip straight from whatever loader you're using, making it very easy to install the games.
You need a GC controller and GC mem card, which I assume you have.

No, bricking is mostly a thing of the past. Install priiloader, and definitely install bootmii as boot2 if you have the option (otherwise as IOS).

rooskie54

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Both work, but with 64k cluster size less reads have to be done, therefore it's faster on sequential access.

Then why does the diosmios google code page say "DIOS MIOS (DM) Format your USB devices 1st primary partition to FAT32 with 32KB cluster size or less" "DIOS MIOS Lite (DML) Format your SD card to FAT/FAT32 with 64KB cluster size or less."

Jessyb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everything is working except for the gamecube games so far, I havent messed with it much..Ill try the program JDbye linked to, and reformat the drive completely and make the primary partition for the wii..maybe that will work.

Is wiiflow, or cfg usb loader better to use? I know dios mios is installed because even when I launch a gamecube disc it pops up as dios mios where it use to say "gamecube"

Whats the difference between dios mios, and dios mios lite? Im really not sure which one I installed haha.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Then why does the diosmios google code page say "DIOS MIOS (DM) Format your USB devices 1st primary partition to FAT32 with 32KB cluster size or less" "DIOS MIOS Lite (DML) Format your SD card to FAT/FAT32 with 64KB cluster size or less."
That I don't know. I've always heard 64KB is recommended. In reality it probably doesn't make a huge difference as long as you have at least 32KB.
Maybe you're right, maybe the USB one doesn't support 64KB. I don't see why it wouldn't though.

rooskie54

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That I don't know. I've always heard 64KB is recommended. In reality it probably doesn't make a huge difference as long as you have at least 32KB.
Maybe you're right, maybe the USB one doesn't support 64KB. I don't see why it wouldn't though.

Yeah, I dunno for sure. I've always seen that it's 32 or for USB and 64 or less for SD. I would assume it has something to do with DIOS MIOS's memory limitations and the USB driver implemented. Though I honestly have no idea.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Brb