Softmodding a japanese Wii: Need some clarification!

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by DSPanther, Sep 19, 2009.

1. DSPanther
    OP

Newcomer DSPanther Member

Sweden
    Ok guys.. I need some info please!

In late november I'm heading to Tokyo for the first time and I'm planning on picking up a Wii while I'm there. A lot cheaper than in Sweden. But, while gazing through this forum I've come across people talking about how it's harder to softmod a japanese Wii because you'll need to downgrade the FW first and that bootmii doesn't work or something..

So.. is it harder/more dangerous to softmod a japanese Wii, or is it about the same? If it's to much of a hassle I might just forget about it and buy a european one instead! Also, does it matter what FW it comes with? making it easier/harder etc? Because I might buy a Used Console in Tokyo so I don't know if the FW will be up to date.

Anyway, thanks for reading!

2. xzxero

Member xzxero ♥bong milk does good for the brain♥

United States
    my guide will work fine with it.
    the only thing is that preloader does not have many hacks

but aside from that its all gravy

3. DSPanther
    OP

Sweden
    Checked it out, looks great. Will probably use it, thank you for clearing that out and for the guide of course!

4. Digital1980

Member Digital1980 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Preloader is incredible. It's arguable if it is a MUST but it is in my opinion.

You cut the risk of messing your Wii up with disc update problem. You also have a way to get into HBC if you are unable to get into the system menu (that would be some sort of brick I suppose)

5. DSPanther
    OP

Sweden
    Yeah, just read the Preloader-guide and understand what it does now. Also know what hacks the JP-version has, and it all looks good. Thanks again!