Softmodding 4.3 without a game?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by JFTS, May 10, 2011.

May 10, 2011

Softmodding 4.3 without a game? by JFTS at 12:04 PM (5,480 Views / 0 Likes) 25 replies

1. JFTS
    OP

Member JFTS GBAtemp Regular

France
    Hello. I would like to know if it's possible to softmod wii version 4.3 without a game (like Super Smash Bros. Brawl or Indiana Jones). I was on hacked version 3.2E with the Backup Launcher, when my Wii stopped reading Wii original/backup games. The weird thing is that both original and backup Gamecube games ran with absolutely no problem, so I suppose that the laser head isn't burned. I ordered the official Wii cleaning kit, but nothing happened. In that time, I wasn't aware of the USB Loader, so I deleted everything and updated my Wii to official 4.3E in a chance to play at least my original games. Unfortunately nothing happened again. I can get the game's preview screen on the Disc Channel, but when I start the game the Wii makes some weird noises and gives me an error screen to eject the disc. The gamecube originals still work fine.

If anyone can offer any solution, I would be grateful! Even if there's only a way to run the original games, it's fine. I own Super Smash Bros. Brawl and I am quite exprienced with Wii hacking since the Twilight Hack. Note that my Wii is in the PAL version 4.3

Apparently, a guy in youtube named ito12347 claims that he has hacked version 4.3 without any games. He also gives a .rar pack of files with enclosed instructions on how to perform this hack. I downloaded it and tried it but nothing happened. He has programmed it for version 4.3U and not 4.3E or others. Maybe someone will be able to recode these files for PAL territories. Any other help about my problem, would be greatly appreciated! Download the pack here:*snip*

And here are his two videos:
    *snip*

2. Nujui

Member Nujui I need something to do.

United States
    Faking at it's best.

Don't buy into hacking 4.3 without a game. If a exploit like the came into light, then it would be GBATemp front page news.

3. The Pi

Member The Pi Lurker

United Kingdom
    You're screwed really, with no way to run Wii games you can't use disc exploits and there's no non-disc exploits (save a Wode but that wouldn't work for you anyway)

4. qaz00

Newcomer qaz00 ORG 0x0

United Kingdom
    Not Faking - It would work if you had bootmii as boot2 installed. EDIT: I realise that it should be impossible to have a official install of 4.3 with bootmii without running the hackmii installer first, so this method is essentially useless
    The instructions will downgrade you to 4.1 and then tells you to run bannerbomb and the hackmii installer.
    The link also contains copyrighted Nintendo content (IOS and Sysmenu WADs) so I would remove it.

5. Nujui

United States
    Downgrading is never a good option. You have a HIGH chance of bricking. It's just better to rent the game and install the homebrew channel.

If the OP had bootmii as boot 2 than yes he could, but we don't know that.

6. Hielkenator

Member Hielkenator GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    Then there would be no point in hacking without a game. Because he would've hacked is wii allready in order to install bootmii.
    Could be usefull if you accidentally updated to 4.3 and you have bootmii but no Exploitable game.

This is not for virgin Wii's.

7. VashTS

Member VashTS Beat it, son

United States
    you can in theory do it without a game, although you really are still using a game, i assume you mean "retail copy" by the word game.

if you have a wode or modchip you could use an iso or burned copy, respectively. giantpune came up with mario kart pwns that works on wode i believe.

you really cannot hack a 4.3 wii without a game, the 4.2 and less era was sweet, bannerbomb was awesome. but indiana pwns or any other game hack is not hard, you just have to obtain a copy, which is not always easy to do.

8. Nujui

United States
    Yeah, I know that.

All in all, you need a compatibly game for 4.3

9. ddetkowski

Member ddetkowski GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Why must people still ask about this?
    4.3 still needs a game to hack it.
    If it WAS out, everyone here would know.....

10. OmegaVesko

Member OmegaVesko GBAtemp Regular

Yugoslavia
    Nope, sorry man. You either need to buy/rent one of the exploitable games, or just get someone to do it for you (assuming they have the game).

11. Genyus

Newcomer Genyus Advanced Member

Netherlands
    His problem is that his Wii won't load the original games if I understand correctly?

12. Hielkenator

Member Hielkenator GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    Well, then he needs a chip or WODE.

13. The Pi

Member The Pi Lurker

United Kingdom
    The wii can play GC games but not Wii games, so it's an IOS issue, a chip or wode won't work. He's screwed.

14. XFlak

Member XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Canada
    If the Wii is old enough to have bootmii installed as boot2, gbatemp's very own DeadlyFoez should be able to fix it using his infectus even without a nand backup. Just manually install bootmii @ boot2, and from there u can run the hackmii installer to install the HBC, or use ohneswanzenegger or crediar's nand formatter if apps from the HBC don't work. And since this wii was softmodded while on 3.2, chances are good that it has a vulnerable boot1 and therefore can have bootmii installed @ boot2.

15. JFTS
    OP

France
    Can you explain this method with some more details or give me a link to a tutorial? Actually, I think my Wii was first on official 3.4E and then (using the Twilight Hack) I downgraded to custom 3.2E (with IOS downgrading as well). Still, I'm not sure; maybe it was already 3.2E or something like that. It was long ago and I can't remember. How can I check these bootmii/boot2 things?

Anyway, thanks everyone for your advice!

16. neotank19

Member neotank19 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Since no one asked you do you have the homebrew channel or any type of foward channel installed? You won't need a game if you have one of those.

17. XFlak

Member XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Canada
    The Twilight hack doesn't work on 4.3, I believe that particular hack worked on firmwares under 3.4 (and there was an alternate version for 3.4). So if u ever used the twilight hack, ur Wii should be old enough to have bootmii installed @ boot2. Can u remember if u ever installed bootmii @ boot2? It woulda prolly been overwritten anyways when u updated to 4.3 (only exception is if u had bootmii installed to boot2v4, which is unlikely given your situation), but if u ever had bootmii @ boot2 installed, it means it can be manually installed again using an infectus.

Here are some links to infectus tutorials by DeadlyFoez, note that despite what the thread says, DeadlyFoez is back on gbatemp and active, so he might be able to answer some of your questions should u have any. Also note that the infectus tutorial is not easy, it involves taking apart your Wii, removing the nand chip, connecting it to an infectus, using the infectus to flash bootmii@boot2 to the nand on your PC, then solder the nand chip back on your Wii and put it back together. Then u still need to fix the issue using one of the options I mentioned above. If u don't already have an infectus, I would recommend u just send it to DeadlyFoez, I think he charges about $40 (+S&H) for repairs and he has tons of experience so u don't need to worry about frying your wii trying to remove\replace the nand chip. And it's pretty hard to even find an infectus for sale these days, and even if u do it will probably cost around $40 anyways. I've seen Foez take apart a Wii quicker than I can take a piss, and I dare say he's more accurate too! lol But seriously, the guy's got skills, if you send him your Wii rest assured that it's in good hands.

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=239655&hl=
    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=239658&hl=

@JFTS, in the first post it says "so I deleted everything and updated my Wii to official 4.3E"... so I doubt he's got the HBC or a forwarder channel installed.

18. JFTS
    OP

France
    I will consider your suggestion. What about Wode Jukebox? I think it can do the job too. What do you think?

Lastly, is anyone of the experts here in GBAtemp able to make an exploit that works without a game in 4.3? It would be awesome if it was included in future plans.

19. ddetkowski

Member ddetkowski GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    It would be awesome if you actually read the responses
    that 4.3 cannot be hacked without a original hack game.

20. JFTS
    OP

France
    And again, it would awesome too if you understood that I suggest an idea, while I ask for alternative solutions. There's no need to be sarcastic. [​IMG]