Softmodded Wii won't read newly burnt gc games

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Dr. Hobo, Apr 19, 2010.

Apr 19, 2010
  1. Dr. Hobo
    OP

Newcomer Dr. Hobo Member

United States
    First off, let me say I'm not new to this. I have 20 GC backups that all work fine.

I had a friend recommend Tales of Symphonia so I downloaded it and burnt it. USB Loader GX and WiiGator's backup launcher say there's no disc. Thought maybe it was a bad burn so I tried again at 1X. Same problem. This was a .gcm where all my previous games had been .iso so I looked it up to see if I had to do something different for those. Read that I should change the filetype to .iso. Still wouldn't recognize the disc. So I figured it was a bad download or upload so I tried the same game from another site. Same problem. Thought it was the game so I downloaded a different game. Nothing. Maybe I got two bad games in a row so I redownloaded a game I have already burnt and I know is good. No dice. I thought it might have been some setting that got changed so I uninstalled ImgBurn and reinstalled it to reset everything. Still nothing.

I'm using ImgBurn and I've tried every write speed from 1X to 4X. I'm using the same discs (HP DVD+R 16X) as the old burns and the same DVD burner. The Wii reads the games I burnt a long time ago just fine so it's not the Wii's drive. When I put the disc in the Wii makes the slow whirring sound it usually makes before it kicks it into high gear, but with these discs the speed never increases. One time, WiiGator's backup loader never gave me an error, it just kept spinning the disc at a slow, irregular speed for a few minutes before I shut off the Wii. I'm starting to get frustrated with this. I have to have gone through at least a dozen discs and I haven't made any progress. I don't know if there's some noobie mistake I'm making but I don't remember there being any more steps than "load the file with ImgBurn, select a slow speed and burn." Any ideas?

EDIT: Oh and my wii is on 4.2U and I'm using Waninkoko's cMIOS r5 installed with MIOS v10

2. PPSainity

Member PPSainity Blinded by Science

Canada
    GCM's are the same as ISO's, the file name extension is just changed to allow associating it with GameCube emulators easier and still have ISO's associated with burning/ISO software.

Reading your post, the only two possible causes that came to my mind are:
    1) You may have a bad batch of HP media. Are you using a new case, or are these discs from an already opened and proven to be good batch?
    2) Maybe your burner is to blame and has thrown in the towel. Try cleaning it, and/or trying out another drive like a friends or an extra one lying around....

-[]D

3. VashTS

Member VashTS Beat it, son

United States
    Yes DeadlyFoez is correct. HP is the culprit, I bought one spindle and brought them right back. They are terrible media. Even store brand like Staples is better. Go with these in this order:

Verbatim
    Sony
    Memorex
    Staples

4. Dr. Hobo
    OP

Newcomer Dr. Hobo Member

United States
    I think the discs are fine because I've used ones from this batch for a few things, including my Windows 7 install disc. I can try burning them on a different computer just to be sure though.

5. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    Well, have fun, and keep on burning coasters.

6. ddetkowski

Member ddetkowski GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    My experience is this:
    DVD+R= nothing but headaches, sometimes they work, sometimes not.
    DVD-R= NEVER a problem with the Wii reading them as WII or Gamecube backups.
    And, yes, I know in imgburn you can set the book type to -R, but I still had errors of some sort.

7. kyle007

Member kyle007 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    i guess thats your experience [​IMG] in my experience it doesn't matter whatsoever, people say the same thing about wii backups (use -r they work better) but i only use +r's and i've never had a wii game not work from disc.

8. Wack0

Member Wack0 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I just always set the booktype to DVD-ROM anyways heh.

9. kyle007

Member kyle007 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    yeah well thats all it needs, but i guess some people maybe have ancient burners that can't set booktypes lol

10. Dr. Hobo
    OP

Newcomer Dr. Hobo Member

United States
    I haven't even been messing with the booktype. I'll give that a shot, see if it works.

11. Dr. Hobo
    OP

Newcomer Dr. Hobo Member

United States
    Well it looks like I have to apologize. I found some old Verbatim +R discs and they worked fine. I just didn't think the discs were at fault since it had worked 20 times previously. Oh well, guess I need to work on listening to those who know better. PROBLEM SOLVED