Softmodded at 4.0U Should I be upgrading?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Starzboy77, Aug 13, 2010.

Aug 13, 2010
  1. Starzboy77
    OP

Member Starzboy77 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Should I goto 4.2U? If so...please tell me the easiest and safest way to get to 4.2.

At this time I have everything working. Load burned disks from disk channel, usb, homebrew...ect. I only want to mess with things if I need too...for lets say Metroid Other M or Zelda down the road..

2. FenrirWolf

Member FenrirWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    4.2 or 4.3 don't have anything that 4.1 doesn't already. As long as you know how to manually update your IOS's you might as well stay where you're at, unless you want to update your IOS's all at once or something.

3. Starzboy77
    OP

United States
    Honestly...I'm not sure where I am with IOSs. I think I have Rev 17 on 249?? I can't remember. Anyways, if I wanted to update to 4.2 is it worth the trouble and how do I go about doing it with all the other crap I have on my Wii and SD Card like previous hacks and homebrew and so forth....

I usually only update the IOS if needed for a new game...latest game was either Galaxy 2 or Sin and Punishment. I'm pretty sure Im at 249 Rev 17...

4. Slowking

Member Slowking GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    If you want to pla Wii Sports Resort just install a ad of Sstem Menu 4.1. If not stay where you are.

You may want to install a wad of IOS58. It's new, the only official IOS with USB 2.0 and thus more and more homebrew uses it.
    Other than that there isn't anything new.

5. Starzboy77
    OP

United States
    Okay...2 questions....

First where is a good place to get the IOS58 wad?

Second..I have confirmed I am on HBC 1.0.7 IOS61 in the top right corner in HBC with IOS 249 rev 17 in Neogamma. I have priloader 0.29 but when I try to update to 0.30 it hangs.... When I try to get into Bootmii through the HBC menu (hitting home in HBC) I get a black screen and my drive bay flashes.... What are my problems here and how do I fix them??

6. Slowking

Germany
  7. Starzboy77
    OP

United States
    Wait a minute...I keep hearing 4.2 is the best version but you are saying don't go higher than 4.1???

I was going to use the NASUD to go from 4.0 to 4.2 by selecting that option in the NASUD window and selecting yes on all optional channels and other options....Should I not do this!?!?

8. XFlak

Member XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Canada
    either 4.2 or 4.1 is totally safe and fine, using NUSAD to go from 4.0 to either 4.1 or 4.2 is safe

fyi, a new nusad was released moments ago [​IMG]

9. Slowking

Germany
    and where do you keep hearing that? obviously where people are idiots.
    4.1 - 4.3 are the same. 4.2 and 4.3 just have additional homebrew deleting stuff.

10. yatesl

Member yatesl GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Whilst I'm here, what's the benefit of having 4.2 over 4.0?

11. Slowking

Germany
    none

well the Wii Sports Resort fix, but that is also in 4.1.

12. yatesl

Member yatesl GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Well, seeing as though I use alt dols for USB loading, that's not a problem.

Happy days!

13. XFlak

Canada
    alt dols has nothing to do with it... don't u mean, since u don't use the system menu to launch games that it's not a problem?

14. Slowking

Germany
    That still has nothing to do with it.
    If you launch VC or Wiiware games from SD card they erase the flag Wii Sports Resort sets in NAND to know if the instruction video was played already.

So every time you play a VC game from SD on 4.0 you have to watch the Motion Plus instruction video again, which will probably get really really frustrating.

15. XFlak

Canada
    I consider the SD Card Menu as part of the Wii System menu. When I said "if u don't use the system menu to launch games then it's not a problem", I meant if you are using a usb-loader or neogamma or something.

But based on your answer, it sounds you may still need to repeat watching the video after using the SD card menu even if using a USB-Loader... interesting.