Softmod vs Chip

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Darkchyld, Feb 18, 2011.

Feb 18, 2011

Softmod vs Chip by Darkchyld at 3:48 AM (1,078 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. Darkchyld
    OP

Newcomer Darkchyld Newbie

United States
    I've browsed through a few websites and forums to do a bit of research on modding a Wii. I've modded the original Xbox and for the Xbox a chip could be deactivated so you could go online without being locked vs a softmod which you were not allowed to play online. Are there any pros/cons or major differences in modding a Wii via softmod vs chip? Still relatively new to the Wii scene so any help or information is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. smash_brew

Member smash_brew I may or may not have fallen

United States
    You should just soft mod. there is so much more you can do with a softmodded wii then one with just a chip. although you could do both. The only advantage that a chip has is the ability to read back ups from dvd-r at 6x. with soft mod it's limited to 3x. of course if you have a newer wii with a d3-2 drive you're not going to be loading any back ups from dvd-r any way. you should just soft mod the wii and buy an external hdd. thats the best move in my opinion.

3. mauifrog

Member mauifrog DA KINE WiiHacker

United States
    Softmod is much much better.

4. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    There are no online security checks for the wii. If you can play a game and you have an internet connection, you can play online.

The only disadvantage to a softmod is that it'll take a bit of time to get familiarised with how to do it, what you have to do and how to keep it in working condition. But if you follow (and understand) the sticky in this section, you should be okay.

5. MFDC12

Member MFDC12 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
  6. zizer

Member zizer GBAtemp Addict

sneek can help with compatibility

7. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    Hmm...I doubt that list is up to date everywhere. I do know for a fact that the PAL version of Dead space extraction works fine on USB, and the mic problems of guitar hero: world tour are also more a user error than a cIOS one (yes, you need to have the correct cIOS installed). Oh, and shaun white skateboarding works fine as well. A few other issues mention outdated revs or USB loaders, so it's hard to say if that is still true.

On the other hand: it's true that it's not for the full 100% without faults (though it's close). Metroid prime trilogy is the only game I know of that can't be fixed properly (without sneek). This isn't to say there may not be other issue games (those entries of 'just dance kids' and 'raving rabits travel in time' sound pretty valid and recent).

EDIT: forgot about Sam & Max. I've heard that being mentioned as 'only workarounds work' as well.

8. WalkerOfTheDay

Member WalkerOfTheDay GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    Raving Rabits also works using USB-loaders. FarCry doesn't. But hey we've got Sneek for that [​IMG]

9. wiimanofthenorth

Member wiimanofthenorth GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I go more by the Problematic Games by Wiiflow list.

Simply most games work... some might need a helping hand. Other games that don't work right now by USB are the camera games by Ubisoft like Your Shape. Though if your Wii can play backup DVDs you can still play by using the disc.

I have a modchip and softmodded. When I got a modchip, it wasn't even possible to play via USB. The only USB talk was the Wii stations in hospitals in America. For cheapness forget the modchip, and just go softmod using USB for the long run!

10. CarbonX13

Member CarbonX13 GBAtemp 台灣人

Taiwan
    Softmods are the way to go now, especially with the development of cIOS and USB loaders to the point where practically all the Wii games in existence can work with USB loaders. Yes, there are exceptions to this including anything that utilizes those USB ports in the back, and Metroid Prime Trilogy. But we've got ways around that too, just a bit more of a hassle. There's honestly no point in getting a modchip now, since USB HDD storage eliminates the need for hundreds of discs, saving money and time in the long run.

11. Hielkenator

Member Hielkenator GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    Farcry works fine with CFG loader, so does the SAM and MAX games.

SOFTMOD is the BEST way!

If you have a newer Wii it's practically the ONLY way!