Softmod: NTSC game is B/W on PAL Wii

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Enerccio, May 29, 2010.

May 29, 2010
  1. Enerccio
    OP

Newcomer Enerccio Newbie

Slovakia
    Any help with this?
    I used to play japanese ntsc games with geckoos, and it fixed the black and whiteness (it was pre 4.2e firmware).
    But now, even though I have a modchip, region discs wont work (damn you nintendo) because of 4.2 firmware.
    So I decided to softmod my wii, which was successful, and some games from NTSC can now be played.
    But recently, I tried NTSC only game, and it loads both in geckoos and gamma as Black and White, even if I force NTSC...

2. daxtsu

Member daxtsu -

Antarctica
    Do you happen to have component cables at all/can your TV support it? If so, try using component.

3. damysteryman

Member damysteryman I am too busy IRL these days...

Antarctica
    Try forcing PAL instead.

If that doesn't work, try both PAL and VIDTV patch.

4. Enerccio
    OP

Newcomer Enerccio Newbie

Slovakia
    I haven't tried forcing pal in gamma, but doing it in geckoos, the screen will turn green and I would be forced to do hard restart.

As for cables, I use SCART, as I always did.... [​IMG]

5. Enerccio
    OP

Newcomer Enerccio Newbie

Slovakia
    Forcing PAL in gamma did green screen of death.... both with VIDTH and without it...

6. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    Try NeoGamma with PAL480i, video mode patches all, and no VIDTV patch. If that still freezes the game with a green screen, then you can only play the game in NTSC. In that case, get a better tv, most PAL tvs support PAL&NTSC.

7. George Dawes

Member George Dawes Wanker

Trinidad and Tobago
    Although a better TV won't be much use - if a game can't be forced to PAL and must be played in NTSC then it is going to result in red-game, due to them using RGB scart.

Although if they were getting a better TV they could make sure it had component and get new cables, too. =]

8. mayhem366

Member mayhem366 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I had this problem last year when the uni provided us with a absolutely shite TV, i asked on here then and the helpful peeps replied with it being down to being a shit TV. And this year, bought myself a new TV, decent one, and whad'dya know, NTSC games run in full colour.
    No changing of wires, no changing of loaders, just a new TV.

9. George Dawes

Trinidad and Tobago
    If you don't change wires from the default composite cables then you can have the best TV in the world, but the video quality will still look absolutely shite.

If you've got yourself a new TV then invest a couple of £ in a component or RGB scart cable, the picture will improve massively. Even with the old TV, NTSC games would've run in colour if you weren't using composite.

10. Enerccio
    OP

Newcomer Enerccio Newbie

Slovakia
    Pal 480i + All results in black screen (not green)...

Well, I do use scart (or rather, RGB to SCART).

But funny thing is, when I had B/W problem with japanese imports, using geckoos fixed it... but here, nothing....

plus, before, NTSC games were no problem... when I could use normal launcher and wasabi dx... but now, with 4.2, nintendo screwed things over...

11. George Dawes

Trinidad and Tobago
    RGB to scart?

Do you use a proper RGB scart cable, or do you use a composite (red, white, yellow) into a scart block?

No idea what nintendo has changed in 4.2 to stop it displaying in colour for you.

12. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    Some games allow forcing the video mode to the other one, some don't. I'm almost sure you had luck until now, that's it.

And if you really use a rgb cable, try the crap cable once.