Softmod n00b - slight confusion with conflicting guides

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by WhyAyeMan, Nov 23, 2014.

1. WhyAyeMan
    OP

WhyAyeMan Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 23, 2014
    Hi modders !

I'm OK as far as computers go, but Im new to Wii modding.

I want to mod a black Wii 4.3E (recently acquired) with a nice collection of games I'd like to run from a removable drive. I've read a bunch of guides and watched a load of youtube vids but I'm a little hesitant to get stuck in.

First off, obviously there are a load of out of date guides so I've done my best to ignore these. From what's left there seems to be several ways to do it. Fair enough. However I'm getting some conflicting info from various sources. I'm hoping someone can help me go in the right direction.

Here are some of the issues that confuse me.

• Most of the things I read say use the letterbomb hack then hackmii to install the homebrew channel, looks straight forward enough and thought that's the way I'll do it. I recently read a couple articles saying modmii is the way to go these days but the guides were pretty vague saying just do this, do that, do the other and your done. No mention of homebrew channel or hackmii etc. Now I know some of these guides may be written by fools who think they are pros, so I'm not sure which to trust. Can anyone briefly give me pros/cons regarding these methods?

• My wiimote has built-in motion plus. Some guides say you can't use it to softmod. I've read a couple that say it is OK to use it. Others don't mention it as an issue (especially those "mod any wii" guides). Whats the situation with this? Will I need a none motion plus wiimote for softmod?

• From what I'm reading it appears USB HDD is the only way to go. Will a cheapy USB stick be OK to use instead of HDD?

OK, so besides those little issues here is my goal :

• I'd like to softmod and run Wii games from wbfs files (not interested in GC, VC or wiiware).

• I have a 120GB HDD I can use for storing games, but contemplating a 64GB USB stick which should more than cover my needs (if it is possible). Preferably I'd like to format to NTFS.

Lastly, what game loaders do you Wii gamers prefer? I'd like one that displays the cover art, open to recommendations, or pros and cons of popular ones.

I'd appreciate any advice (especially from a black 4.3E user), or links to relevant and reliable guides.

Many thanks in advance.

2. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    • Change your "preference" to FAT32 - there are only benefits and no drawbacks since backup managers split files automatically anyways. NTFS is experimental at best, it will cause you more grief than joy
    • I personally use CFGLoader because it offers the most robust set of functionality, but I'm in the minority - WiiFlow and USB Loader GX are still firm favourites. There's nothing stopping you from using all three and picking the one you like the best
    • Online guides have a high probability of being outdated - I personally suggest using ModMii to generate a guide specifically tailored to your needs
    • The WiiMote Plus used to be problematic in homebrew apps, but I'm pretty sure that was worked out in the end
    • *REMEMBER* to install BootMii boot2 or BootMii IOS+PriiLoader and make a NAND backup immediately after finishing with HackMii in the event that the whole setup implodes for whatever reason

3. WhyAyeMan
    OP

WhyAyeMan Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 23, 2014
    Thanks Foxi, may I ask what you use for game storage? USB HDD or USB stick?

4. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I personally use a USB 2.0 HDD enclosure with an external power supply, I connected an old PATA drive that I don't need anymore to it. On occasion I use a USB stick. :)

5. ztien

ztien Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 21, 2014
    i got an old wii v2.0u i want to update it and make a softmodding my problem is that the only cd i have is "SONIC and the Secret of the Ring" anyone can help me to make it possible to update without buying a new CD of WII Games products?

6. WhyAyeMan
    OP

WhyAyeMan Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 23, 2014
    Thanks Foxi, my Wii softmodded without problems.

7. WhyAyeMan
    OP

WhyAyeMan Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 23, 2014
    ztien, there was an option in modmii that asks if you want to change your Wii version. I may be wrong but I assume it can do the update. Download the package and run modmiiskin on your PC and check out the options. Can anyone verify if this is correct?

8. WhyAyeMan
    OP

WhyAyeMan Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 23, 2014
    OK, two more questions - post-softmod.

1. Does the SD card always have to stay in the Wii now its modded?

2. Now its done, how do I remove the things showing in homebrew channel (install priiloader, install ios etc...)?