Hacking Softmod + Modchip

iznasty

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My coworker has a Wii which was chipped with what he believes is a wiikey he is currently having trouble playing the latest backup's though his older games still work fine, he said he tried updating his wiikey firmware but that was a no good, I was wondering if there would be a problem if I softmodded his wii using bannerbomb method or *ULTIMATE System Menu 4.0 Guide, Backup Loaders Disc Channel USB * would the chip have to be removed first and if not will there be a problem playing games directly from the disk channel.

Smack

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
What kinds of problems is he having? I just had a Wii with a WiiKey and it ran everything I threw at it including PunchOut. I since bricked the thing but I had played Madworld, Boom Blox Bash Party and other new titles on it just fine.

Describe the problem and perhaps there is a solution without soft modding it.

iznasty

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Game show's in disk channel but just goes to a black screen when trying to load. Tried DVD-R and DVD+R's with dvd-rom booktype burned at 4x.

SenorClean

Trophies
XP
Country
If it shows up in disc channel - the mod chip is doing its job.

Sounds like like the games are from another region, and need some video mode patching - or they are trying to use an IOS version you don't have.

Use Gecko OS to launch them.

Smack

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Black screen and no message at all? Thats odd.

Well in my case I was running 1.9s firmware and everything ran fine. If I wanted to avoid updates I would just run the games via GeckoOS so give that a shot.

Otherwise I am not sure what to tell you other than stick with the WiiKey if you can cause it reads discs much faster than the Backup Lanucher.

iznasty

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually I was mistaken, He gets the games splash screen then the screen telling you to make sure the controller strap is on your wrist, then he gets an error saying unable to read disk.

Hooya

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Modchip is clearly working fine. It's an issue with the disks themselves or a possibility it is a problem with the drive itself - wearing out. Either way a softmod isn't going to fix anything as long as you are still trying to read the same disks with the same drive.

Get some Tayo-Yuden disks, and don't burn them so slowly unless that's the max speed of your drive.

If that doesn't work... try USB loaders?

knoxvillz

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I get the same problems aswell, my older backups work fine but it's only the latest games that are giving me a black screen when I start them. I'm using an ntsc wii with ntsc versions of Klonoa, Punchout, Madworld and i always get a black screen after I start them and the remote just switches off so i have to hold the power button to turn them off. However I can start them only by turning on the force60 option in gamma or by changing my video output to pal by using any region changer.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N-3vv4kzdk