Hacking Softmod guides need updating?

bazamuffin

RESIDENT HATER OF POLITICAL POSTING WANKSTAINS
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
With the arrival of these new D3-2 drive model Wiis, I feel that softmod guide headers/descriptions should be updated unless somebody has managed to confirm that the latest guides work with these latest drives.

Many of the guides state that they work on ALL Wiis as of August 2009 and if a noob (hate that word btw) sees that a guide states 'works on all Wiis' they will try and do it regardless. Last thing I want is the guys who compile these awesome guides to get bombarded with complaints that the mod doesn't work or that the user has bricked their Wii.

This is just a heads up and nothing else

http://wiinewz.com/forums/nintendo-news/96...unmoddable.html

Deviyl

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it's just a new drive, then I'm sure the softmod won't hurt anything.. and usb loaders shouldn't be affected at all.

Incure

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I also came across this news on a Dutch site, but I already then had the feeling that this propaganda of Modchip sellers. Especially because it was claimed the new Sundisk chip was the only chip who could bypass this new board. Now seeing the original post at Wiinewz gives me that feeling even more, because the original poster is a modchip seller. You would think that if people encounter those new unhackable wii's, they would have posted that here.

Retrievil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The 2 guides stickied here are excellent. I did 2 this weekend following xzeros without a hitch.

The guides wouldn't brick a Wii with one of these new drives. All that would happen is burned disc backups would not work. I'd say most of the people doing soft mods nowadays are going to be using USB loaders, so it's really not an issue.

Might be an idea to put a note in the guides warning people about it, but they are still perfectly accurate. They do work on every Wii.

Lothlorian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unless confirmed that a Wii with said hardware can not be soft modded then I would say guides do not need to be updated.

Sounds an awful lot like somebody telling you a nuke will hit your neighborhood in 30 minutes but for 20 dollars I'll give you a key to my bomb shelter.

bazamuffin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
The article states that this new type cannot be modified by any known means, not that they will brickt. I was just wondering if anyone has tried and confirm they can/can't be done. Ive got a couple of people wanting to buy new Wii's and have them modded, but after reading this Ive told them to hang fire.

BedtimeGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i literally JUST got a new wii sent from nintendo (my old one broke) and it worked fine... not sure about whether or not it was D3-2, but i assume it would be as it was brand new...

Deviyl

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
baffle-boy said:
i literally JUST got a new wii sent from nintendo (my old one broke) and it worked fine... not sure about whether or not it was D3-2, but i assume it would be as it was brand new...
If D-32 even exists...

lll

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It's not modchip-seller propaganda, because apparently no known modchip works with these drives either. The only chips that work are the ones that replace the drive (Flatmii and Sundisk - noone wants to sell Flatmi because of the return rate and poor support, not a lot of chip sellers carry D2SUN products and Sundisk doesn't work for burned discs anyway, only for images loaded to its internal flash). Besides, who wants to use Sundisk when USB loaders are so readily available?

If Nintendo aren't blocking all non-official discs then I'm sure either the modchip makers or the cIOS developers will find a way around it soon.

bazamuffin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
I don't think its modchip propaganda. Ninty is always bringing out new attempts to block mods/homebrew via firmware updates and drive changes. This is just another one of those attempts. No doubt the clever developers of cIOS's and modchips will get round this.

So, back to the topic in hand. Has anyone tried this guide with one of these 'non-existent' drives?

dole

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
baffle-boy said:

I also got "my" Wii back from N yesterday after a corrupted NAND.

The serial number was a LOT lower than the original I sent in. The case itself is scuffed a lot more than my old one. Had 3.3U on it. Everything seemed to work well. Let it update to 4.1U, started hacking it and I think somewhere between bootmii and cIOS38, it corrupted my system files. Used AnyRegionChanger to downgrade back to 3.2U and redid everything and it works fine, so I also didn't get a D3-2. I assume they've got a stockpile of refurbs to send out.

Crass

Rock me Dr. Zaius
Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
United States
bazamuffin said:
I don't think its modchip propaganda. Ninty is always bringing out new attempts to block mods/homebrew via firmware updates and drive changes. This is just another one of those attempts. No doubt the clever developers of cIOS's and modchips will get round this.

So, back to the topic in hand. Has anyone tried this guide with one of these 'non-existent' drives?

This would mean that whoever is writing and creating the guides/methods would have to go out and spend their hard earned money on these new Wii's just so they can test it for you, and the way you keep asking makes you look like a selfish nob. Either go out and buy the new Wii's and test them yourself, or STFU and wait tell they update their guides if there is any pertinent information related to modding regarding these new systems.

bazamuffin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Crass said:
bazamuffin said:

This would mean that whoever is writing and creating the guides/methods would have to go out and spend their hard earned money on these new Wii's just so they can test it for you, and the way you keep asking makes you look like a selfish nob. Either go out and buy the new Wii's and test them yourself, or STFU and wait tell they update their guides if there is any pertinent information related to modding regarding these new systems.

STFU? Bit harsh dude, I was thinking of the people out there who are going to buy a new Wii based on these guides and could potentially brick them before they get to play them. I have 2 Wii's already and this shit doesn't affect me so I could've sat back and done nothing. Here's an article that explains that there are some changes to these 'new' Wii's and what seems to be causing issues with the likes of the Hackmii installer.

http://hackmii.com/2009/08/timing-is-every...oftmoddable-wii

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkYA4rALqEE