Softbricked twice in a row trying to downgrade

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by 730, Jan 5, 2016.

1. 730
    OP

730 Professional Shitposter

Apr 2, 2015
    Argentina
    Console: N3DSXL 10.3.0-28U

Edit: after 4 softbricks, I managed to downgrade using a clean(er) SD, formatting system memory, and using OoTHax (I didn't have menuhax installed). OoTHax took way more attempts than menuhax but well, it worked.
    I didn't use that FTP-3DS trick or whatever, just plain homebrew launcher with nothing on it but sysUpdater.

I am using @julian20 's build of sysUpdater, installing from menuhax.
    On my first "successful" attempt it installed everything correctly, though it didnt reboot after 10 seconds, so I powered it off, and when I booted back in I got the "An error has occurred screen", so I entered recovery and updated.
    Second time around it was the same though it did reboot on its own.

I've read that formatting was a solution to this, since some data from 10.3 might not be compatible with 9.2. But then, if I backed that up, I wouldn't be able to restore it since it isn't compatible, right? How would I go around this?

Things I got are a couple of games, Badge Arcade, menuhax, ironhax, tubehax, and I think a broken browserhax.
    Well, anyways, I guess I could back up what little saves I've got that matter and then just install the CIAs for those games or something, but I'd like to avoid this hassle.

Last edited by 730, Jan 8, 2016
    NekoMichi likes this.
  2. julian20

julian20 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 10, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Try again, but eject your SD card, before you start the 3ds(after downgrade)

3. 730
    OP

Apr 2, 2015
    Argentina
    I've tried that, though what I don't think I've tried is removing it and inserting it back in and THEN booting up.
    Do you think it'd work if I just keep trying different umm "combinations"?

4. SomeGamer

SomeGamer GBAtemp Guru

Dec 19, 2014
    Hungary
    Oops, sorry, just saw you could update back.

Last edited by SomeGamer, Jan 5, 2016
  5. Konathedemo

Konathedemo GBAtemp Regular

Aug 2, 2015
    France
    Got the same problem and formatting was the solution

MasterLel likes this.
  6. The9thBit

The9thBit Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 25, 2015
    United States
    If nothing else works, double check that you're using the right uldate pack, and that the files aren't corrupted.

7. Psi-hate

Psi-hate GBATemp's Official Psi-Hater

Dec 14, 2014
    United States
    Houston
    Did you have any 9.5+ games?

8. Ammako

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Canada
    You restore it once your emunand is set up and updated.
    You won't lose anything except save files so back those up. Then you can just log to your NNID on emunand and re-download your games, get all your badges back, restore all your saves.
    If you have limited monthly internet bandwidth though it sucks to have to redownload them all x.x

9. 730
    OP

Apr 2, 2015
    Argentina
    But emuNAND on n3DS only goes up to 9.5 doesn't it? Wouldn't it still not work with 9.5+ content?
    Which are these? I have Smash, Pokémon AS, Isaac Rebirth, Pokémon Rumble World, OlliOlli, Flipnote, Badge Center. Hmm, Isaac was 9.5+ wasn't it? Shouldn't I be checking for 9.2+ games though, or do those not exist?

10. SomeGamer

SomeGamer GBAtemp Guru

Dec 19, 2014
    Hungary
    Smash updates from 1.1.0 are 9.5+.

11. wormdood

wormdood pirate booty inspector

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    behind a parental advisory sticker
    is this the only actual question? . . . nonsense the only actual important thing you have is the console and the game saves everything else you are worried about can be re-downloaded and or re-haxed on a brand new console atm so . . . the only real risk is to your console and as you said you approached this 2x already . . . dude put it away and wait for a better downgrade method

williamdabastrd likes this.
  12. Ammako

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Canada
    You can still use the eShop to re-download games, any game with 9.6+ crypto you would have to download cryptofixed .cias online however.

13. Psi-hate

Dec 14, 2014
    United States
    Houston
    Isaac is a 9.5+ game. Having that on your SD card on 9.2 will not allow the 3ds to load.

14. 730
    OP

Apr 2, 2015
    Argentina
    Alright, guess I'll back up saves and delete eveything.

15. Filo97

Filo97 Zelda's totally my sister! Not lying!

Oct 8, 2015
    Italy
    Hyrule Castle
    having ironfall letted my 3ds run, i just removed and inserted my sd card after the pwer on and everything worked, i had ironfalll on my homemenu hoevrer i obusly couldn't launch it.

16. Psi-hate

Dec 14, 2014
    United States
    Houston
    Ironfall doesn't have 9.6+ encryption.

17. Ammako

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Canada
    I doubt it'd literally prevent the 3DS from running, you just wouldn't be able to run the game.

18. Psi-hate

Dec 14, 2014
    United States
    Houston
    I dunno. I believe deleting a 9.6+ encrypted game is what helped others.

19. Ammako

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Canada
    We would have to ask all the people who had to system format what kind of games they had. Maybe we can find a pattern to it.

20. 730
    OP

Apr 2, 2015
    Argentina
    I used a separate SD with just menuhax and browserhax, and it softbricked again. I tried removing, inserting, reinserting, and such combinations for the SD and it didn't work. So I'm updating again and will wait for KTM or something like that I guess.