Misc [SoftAP]How to enable the use of WEP?

hack_ziro

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
sup temp :p1ng:

cool story bro:
i recently got a w-lan stick i don't use (got an ethernet cable) and the new pokemon game which i can't go online with (NDSLite got no WPA support, duh)
sounds like a good match, right?
that's what i thought, so i downloaded the utility and driver for my w-lan stick and tried to set-up a network via SoftAP mode...
of course, i can choose WPA2 as password only at the SoftAP options...why should WEP should show up anyways? compatibility? that's for loosers /sarcasm (i'm using windows 7 64bit ultimate)
so i read up, that someone also got this problem, but not on his virtual-pc-xp-mode, where the WEP/no encryption options just showing up as they should (those screenshots really gave me new hopes...)
i tried it there - SoftAP option is greyed out
awesome

now i'm asking, if anyone can lend me a helping hand? ^_^

is there anything i can change at the win7 settings to enable the use of WEP or "no password" at my w-lan stick's utility?
if not
is there any way i can enable SoftAP at my utility when using winXP (virtual pc)?
if not
is there any other option as a w-lan stick owner with cabled internet who's running win7 to get into WFC with a NDSL (besides using a 2nd router)?

note: managed to set up an ad-hoc network at the win7 network settings, which is recognized by my NDS, but always ends up showing the errocode:51300
so let me add a general question to the above ones: do i need to enter a specific ip/dns adress at my ethernet/ad-hoc network/nds?

redfalcon

GBATemp Member
Trophies
Website
code.google.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I tried several different programs (SoftAP, Connectify, hostapd on Linux) for quickly opening a WEP AP, but never got it to work. The SoftAP feature of Win7 afaik only supports WPA2 due to security reasons. WEP is deprecated today since it is easily hackable, thus there is little interest in keeping compatibility up.

NetSphereEngineer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
you can always remove the protection on your wireless router and permit only the MAC numbers of your devices. That's what I had to do in order to connect my DS! It seems safe cause only the devices in the list can access the internet but if anyone know something I don't please say so.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
you can always remove the protection on your wireless router and permit only the MAC numbers of your devices. That's what I had to do in order to connect my DS! It seems safe cause only the devices in the list can access the internet but if anyone know something I don't please say so.
MAC addresses are sent in the headers, which means they're being broadcast, which means that people can sniff your wireless* for a bit (well, only a second is needed with the right timing), see which MAC is allowed, and then tell their device to use that MAC (MAC spoofing is quite possible), then all they have to do is wait for your device to disconnect (or kick it off themselves by injecting some false data to your network) and let theirs connect.

* - Having no security means no automatic encryption, meaning anything you do over wireless can be sniffed/watched by your neighbors, such as personal e-mails and IMs and such. This is another reason wireless security is being pushed forward so hard.

EDIT: Fixed an obvious mistake.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
There's no easy solution. The DS isn't compatible with anything beyond WEP/nothing, but WEP is broken and nothing is... nothing.

You can try a specific wireless adapter for the computer that makes a private network for the DS, but those are kinda' hard to find, and can be really finicky (some people never get theirs working).

Other people use a router that can make two networks, and simply have the WEP network segregated. That way the WEP network can still get online and if somebody hacks it they get to leech off of your wifi, but at least they don't get to sniff/access your other machines.

It's just one of the growing number of complications with the DS being such an ancient system. It's eight years old now, and was using old technology when it came out.

NetSphereEngineer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Yeah understand now but where I live i think it's safe! I mean ppl leave they own wireless connections without pass and anyone can access! So I don't think I should get worried. And when I'm not going to use the DS anymore I can just put the protection online again!

But thx man! thanks to you now I know that using just MAC address is not fail proof!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
    Veho @ Veho: @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip. +2