Soft mod / update Wii version 3.0u

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by rutny, Jun 6, 2009.

Jun 6, 2009
  1. rutny
    OP

Member rutny GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Hey folks need a little nudge in the right direction. I am trying to set up a Wii that is version 3.0 u
    I am thinking it is best to update this to 3.2, but am unable to find anything helpful on how to do so except "get a game and let it update"

2. nabster92

Member nabster92 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I don't think any game has an update to 3.2. Brawl and mariokart have 3.1 I believe though.

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=118446

Will get you to 3.2 through steps 1 and 2. Step 3's kinda outdated though so skip that.

The custom WM that you're supposed to use there is just a wad manager running off ios16 so you can just use wad manager 1.4 instead and select ios16 in that instead.

3. 2yugimoto

Member 2yugimoto GBAtemp Fan

United States
    ok look.....

your wii is at 3.0u

so best thing to do is update through nintendo to 4.0u and then use banner bomb and install HBC again + backup launcher and other stuff and it can be all found in this thread: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=144835

but it wont tell you to update through nintendo (ive updated from 3.2 with HBC and ended up with 4.0)
    so in my case its safe

4. rutny
    OP

United States

If I go this route, do I need to do the soft mod before the update?

5. nabster92

United States
    If you went that way and updated to 4.0 first you wouldn't be able to follow the online instructions for that guide as you wouldn't be able to install cios without downgrading ios35 first. You'd have to follow the offline steps up to like step 10 at least. Then I think you would be able to just run IOS downgrader from that point if you have wifi.

First things first, you can just get the hbc on your firmware now and (if possible) bootmii if your Wii is old enough. You don't need to use the twilight hack (but you could). Bannerbomb should also work on any firmware. Grab the hackmii installer beta 2 from bootmii.org and rename that .dol to boot.dol and put it on the root of your sd card. Then grab the files you need for bannerbomb and then use it to run that hackmii installer. If it says you can, install bootmii to boot2 and the HBC from there as well. Then make a nand backup (by rebooting, using a gc controller when in the bootmii menu, clicking the fourth icon, then the first icon) you need at least a 1 GB card to do that. If you're able to do that then you are brick proof and can try either method to get everything else you need.

Once you have the hbc you should be able to just run steps 1 and 2 from the guide I posted and you will have a 3.2 Wii ready to install anything you need (cios installer rev 9 or above for backup loaders/usb loaders). Or from that point you can just follow the online portion of that second guide posted to get you up to 4.0 with everything intact.

6. rutny
    OP

United States
    Unfortunately (and no disrespect intended_ the links above are not very noob friendly (sadly I'm not even a noob) After spending countless hours more trying to figure these out, I give up. I WILL find a way...someday (This isnt my Wii.....mine is already modded) The process I used for mine, at the time, was to use twilight, then do a downgrade from 3.4 to 3.2.

Now,
    Interesingly enough Banner bomb, hackmii, hard to locate the files then once you do....yeah....good luck in figuring ANY of that out. I will say this...for any noob that may swing by and check this thread out...banner bomb....is not easy to do (I gave up after countless failed tries and then seeing bug issues and posts saying you cant use this and dont use that) tread easy fearless noobs!

Anyways...thanks for the replies and the attempts at helping me...I do appreciate that!
    Cheers

7. rutny
    OP

United States
    Ok so I got the first Wii softmodded...just have to figure out how to get it up to 3.2 or 4.0 (not sure yet which way am gonna go)

However, I did get another friends wii tonight and he had sys menu 4.something.
    I did the banner bomb/preloader deal and now the system menus is corrupted.. ok so I am in the beginning stages of panic because I have read up and it seems as those this issue is fairly common....however...in rebooting the will with the reset button pushed...I get into the homebrew channel...reload the preloader...and...DAMN! Right back to the corrupted message. I am praying here that someone has an idea of how I can fix this!!
    Thanks in advance!
    EDIT:
    Ok so I am about to go into full panic mode (I dont wanna have to give up MY Wii to this due) I have tried reloading the peloader oh about 5-10 times...same problem...something also is weird...My Wiimote became disconnect with the system a couple of times too. I had to boot up into the error screen whilst pressing the link buttons quickly to get it to link back up. Also, here were the directions I used for this:

8. rutny
    OP

United States
    Still panicking....I did notice a few more things

1) There was a game in the system the entire time (what a dumb#*& for not checking)

Took it out, tried booting up, went into the HBC, reloaded preloader.....corrupted

Also noticed that in the settings, the system menu IOS was not "50' (I think it said like 35)
    Now on the main screen it says:
    IOS v50
    Systemmenu v385

I changed the settings show "50"...then retried everything for I dunno like the 20th time....corruption!

I pray when I get up in the morning and check someone will have an idea how to get this going !! I CAN boot into preloader and CAN access HBC
    Thanks in advance for reading this far...and hope I gave you chaps enough info

One last thins..I am not sure what the true system menu version is at this point but originally I believe it was 4.0u (although I could be wrong)

9. manias

Member manias GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    did you install the ios60 fix and then get corrupted?

10. rutny
    OP

United States
    I assume so because I did install the IOS60patched.wad

11. nabster92

United States
    The fix to that is supposed to be just reinstalling preloader when you get into the homebrew channel, and I wouldn't mess around with what the system menu runs on. Preloader is supposed to take the place of the IOS the system menu runs on (which should be IOS60 on 4.0) and moves the system menu somewhere else. The reason for the brick is because preloader runs off IOS60, when you patch IOS 60 stuff gets corrupted so reinstalling preloader fixes that.

12. rutny
    OP

United States