Hacking Soft-Mod Start From Scratch Option?

DirtyMetis

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Currently at 4.1U w/ HBC and USB Loader GX but haven't done much with my Wii for months and just recently dusted it off when I heard a friend praising Monster Hunter Tri. Problem I'm having is that I've no idea at this point what cIOS's I've got and while I tinkered around with things enough to get Monster Hunter Tri to boot up, now none of the rest of my games seem to want to launch correctly from USB Loader GX - most will just seem to freeze with a black screen or black/gray flashing while it tries to read from the external drive.

Wondering if there's any sort of method to "start from scratch", so to speak - update to 4.2 (if that is advised), wipe all my cIOS and get them properly installed, etc. so that everything behaves and I've got a better understanding of which specific mods I've got installed/enabled.

Any specific guides I should follow?

http://sites.google.com/site/completesg/
Seems quite thorough, but I'm a little overwhelmed by the sheer volume of info...I'll give it a slower read through later today at work as time permits

http://gbatemp.net/t171901-modify-any-wii-...reset%20default
Looks good, but is dated? Aug 2009 was initial post, but could be updated - seems like a streamlined version of previous site, but maybe a little too streamlined for my needs?

http://gbatemp.net/t212497-best-cios-selection-for-newbies
Seems to be fairly accurate for what I need, but will MHT work with v5 of Hermes cIOS? And I ran into problems with USB Loader GX freezing up with rev19 of Waninkokos cIOS - though that could certainly be due to my erratic setup

http://fc1a7e64.linkbucks.com/
Also seems solid, but I get somewhat lost about halfway through the wizard

I guess any sort of guidance at this point would be greatly appreciated. Just looking at a way to get everything cleaned up and setup in a cohesive and updated format so that everything works the way its supposed to. Much appreciated!

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
DirtyMetis said:
NUS Auto Downloader
where are u getting lost? Have u watched the youtube video/tutorial?

edit: btw, an update to NUSAD is going to be released, probably this week, which will replace 4 steps of the guide/hacking process with 1. The end result is the same, so you don't have to wait for the new release.

edit2: also, if u want to re-softmod your wii from scratch, start the download wizard and answer "Y" to the first question (indicating your wii is a virgin)

hunnymonster

Trophies
XP
Country
XFlak said:
edit2: also, if u want to re-softmod your wii from scratch, start the download wizard and answer "Y" to the first question (indicating your wii is a virgin)

Doesn't that run the risk of 'showthrough' from the previous softmodding? i.e. IOSes that were previously required but aren't any more - sounds like the OP wants to effectively "unsoftmod" and then softmod again completely rather than paper over the cracks.

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
the only 'showthrough' would be that any IOSs that he currently has that have been stubbed will not be stubbed.

For example, if he's updating using NUSAD from 4.1 to 4.2, IOS60 will not be stubbed in the process (which is what happens during an official ninty update). There is no point to stubbing any IOS, its not like you would have more space for game saves if u stub or delete unused IOSs. In fact, in this scenario, its safer not to stub IOS60, because if the OP has a stubbed IOS60 then installs SM 4.1, he will brick (because he doesn't have a non-stubbed IOS60). Yawmm won't let u do this, but other wad manager will... by keeping the non-stubbed IOS60, you protect yourself from accidental downgrading.

The only reason to ever go out of your way to install stub IOSs is if you plan on sending the wii back to ninty for repairs, and u want to cover all your softmodding tracks

DirtyMetis

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its probably because the wizard is intended for fresh installs, and even though the first question indicates selecting "virgin" if intending to re-hack, but I just got the impression that I was selecting options that would be incorrect because my system is already modded. Also, I'm certain its a false positive, but Avira keeps throwing up alarms for nearly every step so that probably made me overly paranoid.
rolleyes.gif
Haven't watched the video yet, I'll give that a look-see later this afternoon and maybe give it another shot.

I'd just like to clarify that I'm very appreciative to the folks here on GBATemp - not only for putting in the time and effort in writing up such great guides/tools in the first place, but also in actively trying to assist those of us who struggle despite such clearly laid out instructions. I only ask for further clarification on stuff like this not only to gain a better understanding of it myself (I'm not a big fan of having something "just work" because I followed a set of instructions but didn't necessarily understand WHY it worked), but also because I've botched up enough mods and such in the past that I tend to error on the side of caution anymore!

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
If you answer yes to re-hack your wii, you may be asked to perform a couple unnecessary steps (for example, u will be told to reinstall the homebrew channel even if u already have it, but it is 100% safe to repeat these steps, in fact, it may be better to repeat the steps to ensure u have the latest version of the HBC installed)... Basically, it is totally safe to start from the very beginning of any of the softmod guides even if you already have done some softmods in the past.

Yes, it is a false-positive, a couple anti-virus scanners pick it up as a virus because it drops unknown exe files. In the future, I may choose not to embed the underlying exe's in the main exe just so I stop hearing about these false-positives! I assure u, there is no virus.

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
DirtyMetis said:
Currently at 4.1U w/ HBC and USB Loader GX but haven't done much with my Wii for months and just recently dusted it off when I heard a friend praising Monster Hunter Tri. Problem I'm having is that I've no idea at this point what cIOSs I've got and while I tinkered around with things enough to get Monster Hunter Tri to boot up, now none of the rest of my games seem to want to launch correctly from USB Loader GX - most will just seem to freeze with a black screen or black/gray flashing while it tries to read from the external drive.

Wondering if there's any sort of method to "start from scratch", so to speak - update to 4.2 (if that is advised), wipe all my cIOS and get them properly installed, etc. so that everything behaves and I've got a better understanding of which specific mods I've got installed/enabled.
Well, when you install homebrew, it will automatically overwrite any older versions that were already there. So to re-softmod it, you just need to follow the normal steps again.
You can basically use Any guide you mentioned.

Since XFlak only talks about his own guide, I'll tell you a bit more about the rest:
DirtyMetis said:
http://sites.google.com/site/completesg/
Seems quite thorough, but I'm a little overwhelmed by the sheer volume of info...I'll give it a slower read through later today at work as time permits
My own guide. It indeed contains a lot of info, but the information you get is just something extra. You don't need to read it in order to follow the steps. I tried to make them as clear as possible, but I still assist people if they have problems.

DirtyMetis said:
http://gbatemp.net/t171901-modify-any-wii-...reset%20default
Looks good, but is dated? Aug 2009 was initial post, but could be updated - seems like a streamlined version of previous site, but maybe a little too streamlined for my needs?
xzxero's guide. Contains all the files and LITERALLY tells you what to do. You can't get it much easier than this.
The post was made in Aug 2009, but the last update was this month.

DirtyMetis said:
http://gbatemp.net/t212497-best-cios-selection-for-newbies
Seems to be fairly accurate for what I need, but will MHT work with v5 of Hermes cIOS? And I ran into problems with USB Loader GX freezing up with rev19 of Waninkokos cIOS - though that could certainly be due to my erratic setup
Not really a softmod guide, but it works if you need to install the newest cIOSs only
smile.gif

DirtyMetis said:
http://fc1a7e64.linkbucks.com/
XFlaks program, see above

QUOTE(DirtyMetis @ May 10 2010, 04:32 PM)
I guess any sort of guidance at this point would be greatly appreciated. Just looking at a way to get everything cleaned up and setup in a cohesive and updated format so that everything works the way its supposed to. Much appreciated!
Do some reading and you should be able to follow one of the mentioned guides without problems.
If you still have any, you can always ask for more help
wink.gif

QUOTE(DirtyMetis @ May 10 2010, 04:56 PM)
I'd just like to clarify that I'm very appreciative to the folks here on GBATemp - not only for putting in the time and effort in writing up such great guides/tools in the first place, but also in actively trying to assist those of us who struggle despite such clearly laid out instructions. I only ask for further clarification on stuff like this not only to gain a better understanding of it myself (I'm not a big fan of having something "just work" because I followed a set of instructions but didn't necessarily understand WHY it worked), but also because I've botched up enough mods and such in the past that I tend to error on the side of caution anymore!
We're here for helping people. We even spend most time on that, rather than actually making/testing the guides.
tongue.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte