So you find yourself in an unfamiliar location.

Discussion in 'The Edge of the Forum' started by FAST6191, Mar 6, 2016.

1. FAST6191
    OP

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Hopefully this is not another of my failing at EOF threads.

Anyway for various reasons I find myself in strange places and not knowing the layout of where I am at on a fairly regular basis, and usually with many hours to use however I please. I am however curious what others do if they find themselves in a similar position.

In those cases I have no phone, GPS or even paper map, mainly because I do not care for such things. I usually then get busy walking or riding something if I have something to ride. Though I do not have a map I will usually have a compass on my keys and I can both remember the route I took and how far I have gone (turn 90 degrees four times and you have intersected your initial route if you keep walking). I know of few better ways of getting myself familiar with a new location.
    Others I have said the same to are horrified and can not imagine doing that for fear of getting lost somewhere strange.

2. Gingerbread Crumb

Gingerbread Crumb Member

Aug 28, 2015
    United States
    The same as you If I get lost I can remember the way I came and go from there I dont panic or anything. Maybe its because I live in the city and its easier I could never imagine being lost somewhere else like a deserted highway or the woods but if I did being scared solves nothing.